Toastie experiment (dinner)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Had a Pret Manager cheese ham toastie for dinner. 46g Carb. 2.5 mile up hill walk home, fairly exerted due to the hilly walk. 2 HR reading 7.8 and 3hr reading 5.4.

So within the 2-3 HR mark reduction of 2.4 mmol.

Was my numbers raised at 2hr mark cos of the walk? Or my body needs 3 HRs to process the carbs? Just wondering what people make of these numbers (terrible, reasonable or not so great?)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you check your blood sugar before eating? The post prandial readings are pretty unhelpful without knowing your starting point. What most people here agree on is that your two hour reading should be no more than two mmols/l above the pre prandial one.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a Pret Manager cheese ham toastie for dinner. 46g Carb. 2.5 mile up hill walk home, fairly exerted due to the hilly walk. 2 HR reading 7.8 and 3hr reading 5.4.

So within the 2-3 HR mark reduction of 2.4 mmol.

Was my numbers raised at 2hr mark cos of the walk? Or my body needs 3 HRs to process the carbs? Just wondering what people make of these numbers (terrible, reasonable or not so great?)
What was your reading before you ate the carb?

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I didn't check before unfortunately as I was at work in the office...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't check before unfortunately as I was at work in the office...
There’s no reason why you can’t check your blood sugar at the office. I worked in an office when first diagnosed and it’s pretty easy to do it discretely.

Reactions: HSSS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There’s no reason why you can’t check your blood sugar at the office. I worked in an office when first diagnosed and it’s pretty easy to do it discretely.
True. Just means I have to buy another meter I travel via the underground in London and don't carry bags etc..

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
True. Just means I have to buy another meter I travel via the underground in London and don't carry bags etc..
All meters have error, but if you use two you will build in even more potential error. Different meter, different test strips etc.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was my numbers raised at 2hr mark cos of the walk?
While I can't say with absolute certainty, I have collected enough data to convince me that walking no matter how tiring invariably lowers the blood glucose levels, not so if you are running or engaging in heavy workout. I don't know the reason though I suspect it is to do with the way blood circulation and energy consumption are triggered while walking vs heavy workouts.

What this therefore indicates to me is when you started walking you possibly had higher reading than 7.8 and given the sudden higher intake of carbs that is a real possibility. Knowing what was the baseline would have helped.

Just to reiterate, my interpretation is based on data collected and analysed for myself and 3 other people (2 diabetics and 1 non) and has no scientific grounding whatsoever.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is where a CGM comes in most useful.
You could see the immediate effect of exercise & whether or not the fats caused a pizza effect.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
While I can't say with absolute certainty, I have collected enough data to convince me that walking no matter how tiring invariably lowers the blood glucose levels, not so if you are running or engaging in heavy workout. I don't know the reason though I suspect it is to do with the way blood circulation and energy consumption are triggered while walking vs heavy workouts.

What this therefore indicates to me is when you started walking you possibly had higher reading than 7.8 and given the sudden higher intake of carbs that is a real possibility. Knowing what was the baseline would have helped.

Just to reiterate, my interpretation is based on data collected and analysed for myself and 3 other people (2 diabetics and 1 non) and has no scientific grounding whatsoever.
Thank You for your reply. So the full facts here first, yesterday FASTING reading 5.8. Lunch at 12pm x-large chicken salad no bread, Usually reading at 5.8 two hrs after this lunch when I work from home. Two medium size red Apples at 3pm. Then at 5:30pm large Toastie. I have never measured with Apples before and I understand people are asking what my pre-toastie levels were, well I don't know as I don't take a meter to the office.

So what I wanted to know is 7.8 a bad reading 2HRS after a large toastie from Pret Manager, the strenuous walk that followed after the toastie I thought would have pushed the reading down further. I go GYM 4 times a week and I have found this particular walk which I do 2x a week tends to push my levels up due to the incline and I really go for it, its not leisurely.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank You for your reply. So the full facts here first, yesterday FASTING reading 5.8. Lunch at 12pm x-large chicken salad no bread, Usually reading at 5.8 two hrs after this lunch when I work from home. Two medium size red Apples at 3pm. Then at 5:30pm large Toastie. I have never measured with Apples before and I understand people are asking what my pre-toastie levels were, well I don't know as I don't take a meter to the office.

So what I wanted to know is 7.8 a bad reading 2HRS after a large toastie from Pret Manager, the strenuous walk that followed after the toastie I thought would have pushed the reading down further. I go GYM 4 times a week and I have found this particular walk which I do 2x a week tends to push my levels up due to the incline and I really go for it, its not leisurely.
The apples will have also contributed around 35-40g carbohydrate as well.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The apples will have also contributed around 35-40g carbohydrate as well.
Wow, so here's the thing. Ever since getting that 30HBAC1 result two weeks ago I can tell I have let things creep in. I have been trying Apples, one after the other (two) and tested a toastie yesterday as well. No wonder people talk about Carb creep. So the reason I wanted to try things another member posted here and sent an article about Visrol fat (liver & pancreas), Beta Cells etc and how this can be permanently fixed. For some reason that member got banned here.

So coming down two waist sizes I want to test my limits hence why I queried is 7.8 good after big toastie and Kenny you mentioned the Apples which had a big carb load as well.

But going by the replies to this thread no one is able to tell me because I didn't have a pre-reading. Effectively in a nut-shell I want to see if my insulin resistance has improved and if I can tolerate more food.

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, so here's the thing. Ever since getting that 30HBAC1 result two weeks ago I can tell I have let things creep in. I have been trying Apples, one after the other (two) and tested a toastie yesterday as well. No wonder people talk about Carb creep. So the reason I wanted to try things another member posted here and sent an article about Visrol fat (liver & pancreas), Beta Cells etc and how this can be permanently fixed. For soem reason taht member got banned here.

So coming down two waist sizes I want to test my limits hence why I queried is 7.8 good after big toastie and Kenny you mentioned the Apples which had a big carb load as well.

But going by the replies to this thread no one is able to tell me because I didn't have a pre-reading.
Yep. For me, I've always thought that fingerprick testing had two purposes. One was "where's my BG right now" and the other was "how did doing X or eating Y affect my BG". So testing first thing in the morning for me was the "right now" thing.

However if we want to know the impact of something done or eaten, it's usually recommended that we establish a baseline and see what the stimulus does to the baseline, usually at the 2-hour mark but we can use other intervals as well. Because of the other factors involved we might need to repeat the test a few times until you see some consistency - record keeping is essential.

So if your second reading is 7.8, a lot depends on what your first reading was. I'd give you different answers to your questions depending on whether it was 4.8, or 6.8.

Reactions: 0110

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Another experiment today 2hours ago., Nandos. Half chicken, Coleslaw and peri peri chips. Pre Meal 6.0 two hours latter 8.2. Is that a bad reading? Lets see the 3 hour mark in an hours time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another experiment today 2hours ago., Nandos. Half chicken, Coleslaw and peri peri chips. Pre Meal 6.0 two hours latter 8.2. Is that a bad reading? Lets see the 3 hour mark in an hours time.
The majority of folks here would find a jump of 2.2 too much, I would, I like to see my 2 hour reading as close to the pre prandial reading as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The majority of folks here would find a jump of 2.2 too much, I would, I like to see my 2 hour reading as close to the pre prandial reading as possible.
Understood, without those chips no doubt it would have been better

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ok folks, Nandos, half chicken, chips and coleslaw, pre reading 6.0, 2hr 8.2 and 3 hrs 5.2

Same as yesterday with toastie, between the 2-3 hour mark it comes down like a sledge hammer, any conclusions from this? Is it my body is slow to respond but it eventually it gets there an hour latter? Also that is my only meal now as I had breakfast so be in the 4s all day now and during the night before I wake up so will the avergae of the Ac1 be ok? Or am i inflicting damage on my body with these high no's (or are they not that high?)

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Ok folks, Nandos, half chicken, chips and coleslaw, pre reading 6.0, 2hr 8.2 and 3 hrs 5.2

Same as yesterday with toastie, between the 2-3 hour mark it comes down like a sledge hammer, any conclusions from this? Is it my body is slow to respond but it eventually it gets there an hour latter? Also that is my only meal now as I had breakfast so be in the 4s all day now and during the night before I wake up so will the avergae of the Ac1 be ok? Or am i inflicting damage on my body with these high no's (or are they not that high?)
Perhaps you have just been lucky so far. I wouldn't be able to eat a toastie as I would remain in high numbers for about 2 plus days :arghh:

• Agree
Reactions: filly