Today is a fantastic day!

JER1507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Morning all!

Today is a great day. I was diagnosed with type 2 DM in mid May and it was a complete shock, I was being tested for something else and they did an HbA1c which came back at 58. After a few tears and a bit of a "why me" moment I got my backside into gear in order to avoid medications if possible. My GP agreed that I could do keto for three months and then retest. I have been doing my blood sugars regularly and they average between 5.2 and 5.8 depending when I take them.

My HbA1c today is 38! I'm blown away that by overhauling my diet and taking up some exercise could turn it around so quickly. I've also lost 2 stone 11lb so win win.

I am due my first diabetic review with the nurse next week and I feel much more positive about it now knowing that I have managed to turn things around in three months.

I regularly read all the discussions on here and take much inspiration from those who have been living with diabetes for years and how they deal with it on daily basis.

Anyway a big thank you to those who have unknowingly got me through the first couple of weeks of despair at my diagnosis.

Dark chocolate 90% is my go to now and then for a treat, I still thank that person for that valuable piece of advice for a sweet treat.

Jude x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
What an amazing post @JER1507 - lovely to read this and hear of your success, well done.

Reactions: JER1507

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish my non- diabetic, but overweight husband had this much determination ! It's an amazing result. Well done !

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results re hba1c - added bonus of a great weight loss too. No wonder you are so happy. Well done.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Morning all!

Today is a great day. I was diagnosed with type 2 DM in mid May and it was a complete shock, I was being tested for something else and they did an HbA1c which came back at 58. After a few tears and a bit of a "why me" moment I got my backside into gear in order to avoid medications if possible. My GP agreed that I could do keto for three months and then retest. I have been doing my blood sugars regularly and they average between 5.2 and 5.8 depending when I take them.

My HbA1c today is 38! I'm blown away that by overhauling my diet and taking up some exercise could turn it around so quickly. I've also lost 2 stone 11lb so win win.

I am due my first diabetic review with the nurse next week and I feel much more positive about it now knowing that I have managed to turn things around in three months.

I regularly read all the discussions on here and take much inspiration from those who have been living with diabetes for years and how they deal with it on daily basis.

Anyway a big thank you to those who have unknowingly got me through the first couple of weeks of despair at my diagnosis.

Dark chocolate 90% is my go to now and then for a treat, I still thank that person for that valuable piece of advice for a sweet treat.

Jude x
Very well done.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done and how wonderful to have a doctor that was happy with keto for 3 months. Amazing results.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay! Congratulations!
In addition, thank you for sharing your success story. Just last Friday my doctor told me she was doubling my Metformin dose and wanted to see me again in 3 months.
I've decided to try keto (or as close as I can get) for the 3 months, instead of doubling the Metformin, and see what my A1C will be in November.

Reactions: Aishia and JER1507