1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Too Much Fish

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by wiseowl_123, Nov 5, 2016.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Maybe they should just replace the warfarin with the fish oil...

2. mist

mist · Guest

I want to try Fugu..:D

3. andyfh

andyfh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fugu too!

[​IMG]
    :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yorksman

Yorksman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Warfarin is a toxin and affects all humans. The effects of fish oils on the blood depends on your own body's digestive system which works differently in different people, often depending on genes. Inuit for example, can't handle alcohol in the same way as we can. Also, in northern europe we take milk consumption for granted but in most parts of the world, it results in sickness and diarrhea. When the vikings discovered Vinland, they traded milk for furs with the Skraelings, the native americans. However, they became ill and thought the vikings had poisoned them which resulted in serious fighting. There are many parts in the world where food digestion has evolved in response to the local conditions. Bedouin nomads, and their modern descendents, are adapted to drink camel's milk for example.

Is fish oil good for you? Depends on your DNA

• Informative Informative x 1
    #44 Yorksman, Nov 7, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  5. mist

mist · Guest

Alcohol gave me diabetes :D

[​IMG]

6. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

And now I'm in my mid 70s I'd tend to agree. Having seen what happened to both my ancient mother and even more ancient mother-in-law as they declined into senility, I definitely don't want to live that long! But to console @ickihun a bit, when I asked my M-I-L at eighty (and at that point still as bright as the proverbial button) what it felt like her reply was "I don't know - I'm still eighteen in my head"! :p:p And as I get older I tend to relate more to her point of view - I don't actually feel eighteen but I certainly don't feel at all old - until occasional aches and pains or a peep in that lying mirror remind me that I must be! :wideyed:

And back to fish - I love it! Having been brought up right on the Dee estuary with a fisherman neighbour in the next road, we regularly ate fish and other sea food virtually straight off the boat.
    But I also believe that on a very low carb high(er) fat diet, it's sensible to vary my protein as much as possible, and I usually enjoy meat and poultry just as much!

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Got a couple of nice Red Emperor fillets from the fish market yesterday, they will go nicely with my Xarelto tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

You're very trusting! I couldn't trust that filletting to anyone but me. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. spendercat

spendercat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As a typical British person I don't really know how to cook fish. It certainly never came through the door of my northern grandparents or parents homes!
    I am very reactive to drugs and toxins of all kinds and some fish like kippers and particularly Scottish salmon (farmed?) actually makes me throw up. Maybe it's the antibiotics they feed them.
    So I think that if you eat fish seven days a week you could be asking for trouble. Vary your proteins. You need to maintain variety to keep enjoying a controlled carb diet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Next time I catch a toad fish, or a puffer fish I will send them to you both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Yorksman

Yorksman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Looks good to me, a few carbs but otherwise, very tempting:

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. hornplayer

hornplayer · Well-Known Member

Last time I had sushi, it moved..........

13. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree that is a terrible thing to say about elderly people we are just like everyone here trying to keep as healthy as possible

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would be very tempted to eat that it looks amazing

• Like Like x 1
  15. maureen5752

maureen5752 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Freema Sometimes your remarks are very offensive! Young or old we are all human & deserve respect! One day you will be old!

16. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

I have changed the way I wrote it already... but guess you haven`t noticed that, I do feel old already by the way

17. maureen5752

@Freema. You shouldn't have wrote it in the first place! Have you never heard the saying. ' respect your elders'

18. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

I do respect the elders though not more than everyone else... what I actually wanted to say was that the pollution was not equally dangerous to grown ups like it is to unborn and newborns and children whoes brains are not fully grown yet.. but is is still a problem but not as fatal for people that have a fully developed brain...

19. maureen5752

@ Freema. You should check what you wrote previously, different to what your saying now, & don't reply as I won't answer, I have things to do, but you should be more care what you say,

20. spendercat

spendercat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am old, and I wasn't offended. I would not dream of launching criticism at a fellow member of the forum for a carelessly phrased remark.
    In my case age brings tolerance.
    Anyway there is truth here. A toxin that damages unborn and young children is proportionately less dangerous to the elderly, who have had a lifetime to build up physiological coping mechanisms, and who are capable of making their own decisions about their health.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook