Travel with T1

Danny1412

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I am late onset T1 and have a long term plan to go travelling once the kids fly the nest in the next 5 years, can anybody advise if long term travelling is feasible whilst needing insulin daily? I’m planning on being away for long periods at a time.
Is insulin available in less developed parts of the world?
Has anybody else travelled extensively with T1 and if so how did you cope?

Reactions: Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Danny, I’m neither type one or a keen foreign traveller! However I’l tag in @In Response who is both I believe.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I am late onset T1 and have a long term plan to go travelling once the kids fly the nest in the next 5 years, can anybody advise if long term travelling is feasible whilst needing insulin daily? I’m planning on being away for long periods at a time.
Is insulin available in less developed parts of the world?
Has anybody else travelled extensively with T1 and if so how did you cope?
Hi @Danny1412 ,
I don't have any answers for you as I'm not much of a traveller, but you posted in the General Chat section of the forum where it's less visible. I'm sure one of the moderators will be happy to move your thread to the Ask a Question or Type 1 diabetes part of the forum if you like. :)
@EllieM , @lovinglife , @Pipp ?

Your profile shows you as being a T2, it would be helpful if you changed it to T1 or LADA.

I wish you wonderful travels in the future!

Danny1412

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Danny1412 ,
I don't have any answers for you as I'm not much of a traveller, but you posted in the General Chat section of the forum where it's less visible. I'm sure one of the moderators will be happy to move your thread to the Ask a Question or Type 1 diabetes part of the forum if you like. :)
@EllieM , @lovinglife , @Pipp ?

Your profile shows you as being a T2, it would be helpful if you changed it to T1 or LADA.

I wish you wonderful travels in the future!

How do I change my details?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I travel regularly with Tyoe 1 but never had the opportunity for the career break since my 30s prior to my diagnosis.
My expectations would be that insulin is available everywhere but the choice may be limited.
Technically, we are entitled to prescription in the UK due to residence status. If we are not resident in the UK, we are not entitled to insulin. However, some people have stretvhed this rule and had insulin shipped out by a friend or relative during travel.

Putting the quest ions about acquiring insulin to one side, I have never had issues when travelling with Type 1. I have been through many airports, I have trekked in less developed countries (Nepal, Uganda, Venezuela) with no issues. As well as managing through more developed (stricter) immigration such a USA, Canada and throughout Europe.

I would highly recommend Frio wallets to keep insulin cool an d recommend care with fridges.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've been T1 since 8 so all my travelling (max 2 months) has been done with T1. I agree with what @In Response said.

I've only once been asked for a letter to prove I was diabetic for my supplies (Hong Kong?), and though I didn't have one I managed to convince them (eventually) using an Australian diabetes card, so it's probably worth having one if you are doing a long trip, specially as it should make it easier if you need medical care while overseas.

I've also (once in Dohar) had customs insist I put all my supplies through an x-ray machine, so if you have a libre or dexcom you may want to consider whether it's safe to go through that machine. Sensors may be awkward to buy overseas as the G7 is geolocked (have to download the software in the same country as you buy the sensors) and I'm not sure about the libre. Not necessarily a problem, just something to be aware of. I'd recommend taking lots of glucometer supplies, as you may find that the brand you use isn't available in the country you are in. (Though you could always buy a new glucometer). eg in New Zealand the only brand available in pharmacies is the caresens, because that is the one that is supplied on prescription to all diabetics.

I certainly wouldn't let T1 stop me from travelling, but you do need to be a little organised about managing your supplies. And a thumbs up for frio wallets from me too.

Would you like me or another mod to move your thread to the T1 or Ask a Question subforums? It will get better visibility there , because General Chat threads don't appear in the list of recent posts...