1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Treat

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Diane_56, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Diane_56

Diane_56 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What do people do if they want a treat

2. Buzzer81

Buzzer81 · Well-Known Member

Green and blacks dark chocolate 85% cocoa

3. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For something sweet I bake something low carb - keto chocolate cake, scones, biscuits, lately madeleines because my new waffle maker has plates for madeleines, waffles, stewed rhubarb or other low carb fruit with lots of cream.
    Savoury I have salted nuts, Camembert or Brie, salami, really good steak, wine, G&T...
    A lot of these things are actually just part of my diet now but because they were forbidden back in the old days, they still feel special!

4. Diane_56

Diane_56 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for that

5. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I use my waffle maker to make Chaffles .

6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

More steak :D

In my opinion, and it is only an opinion, treats are for training dogs. Whilst I enjoy everything I eat immensely, the whole 'food-as-a-reward' thing is not part of my life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Got to agree with this ...

8. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Every meal should be a treat on its own. ;) But yeah.... Extra dark chocolate, a really nice hard cheese, olives, pork scratchings... Lately I've made keto pecan cookies, which turn out to freeze insanely well. (And I don't defrost them when it's warm, excellent replacement for icecream!). https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/chewy-keto-pecan-cookies-low-carb/

9. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have diet jelly for something sweet, I am planning to try a 'hot chocolate' with some no sugar cocoa and almond milk and cream (of course). I also now find coffee with cream quite a nice treat which I have often. When I first had coffee with cream I really didn't think I would grow to really like it but now my everyday treat.

Cheese is always good. You could try seafood? I also find pork belly with .lovely salty crackling is a great savoury treat.

Plenty of options- maybe give us some ideas of things you like and are missing.

10. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Snacks/Treats/Go To's

Cocktail sausage
    Slice of ham
    Slice of cheese
    10g worth of blackberries/strawberries/raspberries

These suit me…

• Like Like x 1
  11. ChristieM

ChristieM Type 2 · Active Member

Said it before. Can’t see why you can’t have the odd ‘sweet’ treat as long as it’s low carb. I’m with Teddy Tottie. I make a cake with almond flour and erythritol or cookies with same. About once a fortnight shared with non diabetic husband. Also nuts. Or small amount dark chocolate. Or half a bag of Wotsits. Or a protein bar. Have to be clear, I am generally low carb and can’t see harm in a low carb treat. Confirmed by Blood sugars. As always test, test, test.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

[QUOTE="Jim Lahey, post: 2270639, member: 496333"
    In my opinion, and it is only an opinion, treats are for training dogs. [/QUOTE]
    WOOF WOOF!! I've occasionally been called - to put it in nice polite terms for the Mods- a female dog, so as such I reckon I must definitely be allowed treats?

Seriously though, I don'r consider LCHF to be a deprivation diet, and most low carb food I eat can be a treat in itself - particularly smoked salmon, and rather than have specific "treats" which sort of have forbidden connotations, I regularly include in my diet some particularly enjoyable and suitably low carb foods that I can eat in small quantities, such as Lindt 85% dark chocolate, fruit or baked goodies, etc, none of which have any negative impact on my glucose levels or health. Which is all that really matters. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The only treat that doesn’t have a negatives effect on my BG is a glass of wine or a G&T. If I’m desperate, an Aldi salted caramel nut bar., but I always regret it...

14. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My go to snacks are:
    Spoon full of peanut butter
    A handful of macadamia nuts
    Dried Japanese seaweed
    Cheese

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

These are one of my new favourites too, but I'm too lazy to make individual little balls so I make one big round flat one and slice it up into 8 pieces, like shortcake.. Which doesn't really last long enough to freeze! :oops:

Swapping pecan for hazelnut meal and cocoa powder, topped with chopped toasted hazelnuts works very nicely too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. JoKalsbeek

Oh my... That does sound good! :) (And those little balls drive me up the wall, so, excellent tip!)

18. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

When you make your big flat circle, score it with a knife into 8 or however many segments, which you can then cut right through when cooked and cooled I reckon about 3 mins in my microwave and give it a poke with skewer or cocktail stick to see to check if it'd done/comes out clean.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. JoKalsbeek

One day, this forum might turn me into a kitchen princess after all! :) Thank you!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook