Type 2 Treat

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For something sweet I bake something low carb - keto chocolate cake, scones, biscuits, lately madeleines because my new waffle maker has plates for madeleines, waffles, stewed rhubarb or other low carb fruit with lots of cream.
Savoury I have salted nuts, Camembert or Brie, salami, really good steak, wine, G&T...
A lot of these things are actually just part of my diet now but because they were forbidden back in the old days, they still feel special!

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For something sweet I bake something low carb - keto chocolate cake, scones, biscuits, lately madeleines because my new waffle maker has plates for madeleines, waffles, stewed rhubarb or other low carb fruit with lots of cream.
Savoury I have salted nuts, Camembert or Brie, salami, really good steak, wine, G&T...
A lot of these things are actually just part of my diet now but because they were forbidden back in the old days, they still feel special!
Thanks for that

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use my waffle maker to make Chaffles .

M

Member496333

More steak :D

In my opinion, and it is only an opinion, treats are for training dogs. Whilst I enjoy everything I eat immensely, the whole 'food-as-a-reward' thing is not part of my life.

Reactions: Diane_56
D

Deleted member 308541

More steak :D

In my opinion, and it is only an opinion, treats are for training dogs. Whilst I enjoy everything I eat immensely, the whole 'food-as-a-reward' thing is not part of my life.
Got to agree with this ...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have diet jelly for something sweet, I am planning to try a 'hot chocolate' with some no sugar cocoa and almond milk and cream (of course). I also now find coffee with cream quite a nice treat which I have often. When I first had coffee with cream I really didn't think I would grow to really like it but now my everyday treat.

Cheese is always good. You could try seafood? I also find pork belly with .lovely salty crackling is a great savoury treat.

Plenty of options- maybe give us some ideas of things you like and are missing.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Snacks/Treats/Go To's

Cocktail sausage
Slice of ham
Slice of cheese
10g worth of blackberries/strawberries/raspberries

These suit me…

Reactions: Diane_56

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Snacks/Treats/Go To's

Cocktail sausage
Slice of ham
Slice of cheese
10g worth of blackberries/strawberries/raspberries

These suit me…
Said it before. Can’t see why you can’t have the odd ‘sweet’ treat as long as it’s low carb. I’m with Teddy Tottie. I make a cake with almond flour and erythritol or cookies with same. About once a fortnight shared with non diabetic husband. Also nuts. Or small amount dark chocolate. Or half a bag of Wotsits. Or a protein bar. Have to be clear, I am generally low carb and can’t see harm in a low carb treat. Confirmed by Blood sugars. As always test, test, test.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Jim Lahey, post: 2270639, member: 496333"
In my opinion, and it is only an opinion, treats are for training dogs. [/QUOTE]
WOOF WOOF!! I've occasionally been called - to put it in nice polite terms for the Mods- a female dog, so as such I reckon I must definitely be allowed treats?

Seriously though, I don'r consider LCHF to be a deprivation diet, and most low carb food I eat can be a treat in itself - particularly smoked salmon, and rather than have specific "treats" which sort of have forbidden connotations, I regularly include in my diet some particularly enjoyable and suitably low carb foods that I can eat in small quantities, such as Lindt 85% dark chocolate, fruit or baked goodies, etc, none of which have any negative impact on my glucose levels or health. Which is all that really matters. :D

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only treat that doesn’t have a negatives effect on my BG is a glass of wine or a G&T. If I’m desperate, an Aldi salted caramel nut bar., but I always regret it...

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My go to snacks are:
Spoon full of peanut butter
A handful of macadamia nuts
Dried Japanese seaweed
Cheese

Reactions: VashtiB

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every meal should be a treat on its own. ;)Lately I've made keto pecan cookies, which turn out to freeze insanely well. (And I don't defrost them when it's warm, excellent replacement for icecream!). https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/chewy-keto-pecan-cookies-low-carb/
These are one of my new favourites too, but I'm too lazy to make individual little balls so I make one big round flat one and slice it up into 8 pieces, like shortcake.. Which doesn't really last long enough to freeze! :oops:

Swapping pecan for hazelnut meal and cocoa powder, topped with chopped toasted hazelnuts works very nicely too.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are one of my new favourites too, but I'm too lazy to make individual little balls so I make one big round flat one and slice it up into 8 pieces, like shortcake.. Which doesn't really last long enough to freeze! :oops:

Swapping pecan for hazelnut meal and cocoa powder, topped with chopped toasted hazelnuts works very nicely too.
Oh my... That does sound good! :) (And those little balls drive me up the wall, so, excellent tip!)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my... That does sound good! :) (And those little balls drive me up the wall, so, excellent tip!)
When you make your big flat circle, score it with a knife into 8 or however many segments, which you can then cut right through when cooked and cooled I reckon about 3 mins in my microwave and give it a poke with skewer or cocktail stick to see to check if it'd done/comes out clean.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you make your big flat circle, score it with a knife into 8 or however many segments, which you can then cut right through when cooked and cooled I reckon about 3 mins in my microwave and give it a poke with skewer or cocktail stick to see to check if it'd done/comes out clean.
One day, this forum might turn me into a kitchen princess after all! :) Thank you!