Trying A Simple Way To Get Rid Of Diabetes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight reduction is an accepted method to help reduce diabetes. But of course there are obese people who are not diabetic.
Yes - it is thought to be so by doctors and nurses, which is why they were so bewildered when I was no longer diabetic but had not lost more than a couple of pounds.

HemantG

As ever we are can all be our own case study. I am having fun looking for what is the ultimate protocol for me i.e. least amount of cardio / resistance exercise with the best control (and perhaps aesthetics) as I can. At the beginning of my Type 2 journey I remember seeing a picture of a guy who was said to have reversed his diabetics by weight training - a before and after picture stuck with me. I wished I had bookmarked this, as it was inspirational and suits my love for training.

A great advantage of muscle mass is that it can independent of insulin shuffle glucose into the cells (GLUT4 uptake). In addition muscle takes more energy to maintain than fat, and is a healthier - fat has toxins and bad hormonal responses. I am not promoting body building (as this would require "carbier" protocols in the true sense), but firming up what nature has provided.
Since you say are not promoting body building, what are simple or common ways to grow muscle mass?

HemantG

Yes - it is thought to be so by doctors and nurses, which is why they were so bewildered when I was no longer diabetic but had not lost more than a couple of pounds.
Perhaps WHR i.e. waist to hip ratio is a better measure? 0.8 for women and 0.9 for men being a good target to achieve, and lesser than this being better?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Since you say are not promoting body building, what are simple or common ways to grow muscle mass?
For clarification, a true body build in the traditional sense would require a bulk phase, which I could not square with diabetic control, such as the carb content and protein requirements to increase size (followed ultimately by cutting). I go more for a functional physique, which my interpretation from a LCHF / Keto perspective is:

• Becoming fat adapted in a 16 / 8 or 16 / 6 intermittent fasting protocol, which is built up to
  • Building a healthy base of general fitness perhaps with a split of around 50% resistance to 50% cardio to start with (I am not begging to bias towards resistance, as I feel I have dumped enough excessive fat

As I am not an expert, I am still tweaking my methods and should say I have help from my wife who has been a personal trainer and has degree's as sport scientist and physiotherapist (I am studying a personal trainer course at present). In the beginning I static cycled for up to 45 minutes directly followed by 10 kg dumb bells, doing squats to bicep curls to shoulder press (10 x 3 sets) after meals. I kept the aforementioned going and included power walking for between 45 mins to around an hour 15, up to twice a day, around 10 miles (over 20 k steps).

I only do HiiT static cycling now for 5.5 mins (3 x 30 sprints). I have tapered walking to around 6 miles (fasted and after meals), with a couple of long walks interspersed. I have continued with the dumb bells but increased weight up to 18 kg, but reducing reps to 6 x 3. My biggest change has been using the below home bench and bars:

Gym.jpg

The bench I use is by Hammer: My http://www.hammer-fitness.co.uk/hammer-hantelbank-bermuda-xt-pro.html

The bench provides me with:

Bench press
Butterfly
Biceps curl
Triceps
Rowing
Leg curl
Leg raise
Back pull
Neck press
Lat pull

My favourite exercise is the deadlift, where I do traditional and sumo. I also use the other bar on show for:

Meadows row
Landmine
Barbell chop

My dumb bells are 14 and 18 kg. I have set my bench press and deadlift at two thirds of my one rep max so 100 kg. I hope.

So after a walk do either a circuit of the above or up to 5 sets depending on time. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

HemantG

For clarification, a true body build in the traditional sense would require a bulk phase, which I could not square with diabetic control, such as the carb content and protein requirements to increase size (followed ultimately by cutting). I go more for a functional physique, which my interpretation from a LCHF / Keto perspective is:

• Becoming fat adapted in a 16 / 8 or 16 / 6 intermittent fasting protocol, which is built up to
  • Building a healthy base of general fitness perhaps with a split of around 50% resistance to 50% cardio to start with (I am not begging to bias towards resistance, as I feel I have dumped enough excessive fat

As I am not an expert, I am still tweaking my methods and should say I have help from my wife who has been a personal trainer and has degree's as sport scientist and physiotherapist (I am studying a personal trainer course at present). In the beginning I static cycled for up to 45 minutes directly followed by 10 kg dumb bells, doing squats to bicep curls to shoulder press (10 x 3 sets) after meals. I kept the aforementioned going and included power walking for between 45 mins to around an hour 15, up to twice a day, around 10 miles (over 20 k steps).

I only do HiiT static cycling now for 5.5 mins (3 x 30 sprints). I have tapered walking to around 6 miles (fasted and after meals), with a couple of long walks interspersed. I have continued with the dumb bells but increased weight up to 18 kg, but reducing reps to 6 x 3. My biggest change has been using the below home bench and bars:

View attachment 27502

The bench I use is by Hammer: My http://www.hammer-fitness.co.uk/hammer-hantelbank-bermuda-xt-pro.html

The bench provides me with:

Bench press
Butterfly
Biceps curl
Triceps
Rowing
Leg curl
Leg raise
Back pull
Neck press
Lat pull

My favourite exercise is the deadlift, where I do traditional and sumo. I also use the other bar on show for:

Meadows row
Landmine
Barbell chop

My dumb bells are 14 and 18 kg. I have set my bench press and deadlift at two thirds of my one rep max so 100 kg. I hope.

So after a walk do either a circuit of the above or up to 5 sets depending on time. Hope this helps.

regular food in this context around 1 to 1.5 grams of protein (for a male) which is dependent of

I really appreciate your efforts. On muscle building, and also making me aware.

Could you suggest to me , someone completed 62, and having been troubled by diabetes since last 10-12 years?

Presently I walk about 6 km in 70 minutes. I would like to continue with it, but can add something more towards the muscles building part.

Reactions: zand