Trying a Slimfast diet

daved123

Thanks for the advice. The diet involves replacing two main meals with Slim-Fast products. A sensible meal is based around a lean protein , carbohydrate, and a large serving of vegetables.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, Daved123.

Sadly, as a Type 2 diabetic, I have a problem with metabolising carbohydrate. If I ate anything near the RDA of carbs my blood glucose readings would be in double figures, which I'm sure you, as an HCP, would not like.

If one takes a large amount of carbs out of the diet, the calories have to be replaced with something else. An excess of protein is dangerous to kidney function, so my replacement calories come from natural fats - sourced from mammals, fish, olives and nuts. Organic if possible.

So I eat a modified version of the Atkins Induction Phase diet (see the Sticky Threads section). On this I have lost about 30kgs, lowered my blood pressure, improved my lipid profile across the board, and keep my blood glucose readings in the mid 4s to mid 5s almost all the time. My insulin resistance seems to have decreased, as evidenced by the fact I can now eat up to 70g of carb in a day, occasionally, and still keep my BGs pretty well in the non-diabetic range.

One thing that seems apparent among the diabetics on this site, is that there is no "one size fits all" solution to Type 2. I just wish the NHS would listen to us occasionally!

Viv 8)