Trying a Slimfast diet

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've been reading all the posts about the Newcastle Study Diet, and I've found it fascinating. Because I had reached a weak point in my usual Atkins-based way of eating (the "tomorrow will do" syndrome - and tomorrow never comes!) I decided to try a calorie-restricted diet myself to see what happened. A new discipline to focus on :shock:. It will be very interesting to see how I react to the increase in my daily carbs. How will the weight loss compare to low-carb?

The Newcastle Study was concerned with the removal of internal body fat in the liver/pancreas area by a restricted calorie diet to mimic the effects of bariatric surgery on Type 2 diabetics. The aim was to achieve “reversal” of Type 2 diabetes.

The menu was 3 Optislim replacement meals plus 200 calories of non-starchy vegetables, per day. No fat or oil, no meat, no dairy. A total of 800 calories per day.

The way of eating I have chosen to follow does not duplicate this so cannot really be considered comparable to the Newcastle Study, except in the calorie restriction. Also, I was not able to have MRI scans at the beginning and end of the experiment to check my internal body fat. I'm going to give this a go for a month, and see what happens to my weight and my BG readings.

I'll update this weekly so as not to bore people too much :D :wink:

On Monday 16.01 I weighed 246lb (111.8kg).

Diet start date: 18.01.2012
Daily menu:
Breakfast: 2-egg omelette cooked with butter. approx 200 cals
Lunch: Slimfast shake made with water + a little milk 200 cals
Evening meal: Mixed veg, oven cooked or microwaved 200 cals
Supper: Slimfast shake as above 200 cals.
Daily total: approx: 800 cals
between 70g and 100g carbohydrate per day

A maximum of 2 cups of coffee per day, with milk and 1 Splenda tab.
Milk in all cases is semi-skimmed.

Vegetables from: broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, courgettes, mushrooms, fennel, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, radish, celery, aubergine, onion, garlic

2 litres water.

Seasoning: a little salt, black pepper, herbes de Provence, tarragon, nutmeg, mixed spice, bay leaf, oregano, mushroom ketchup.

If I'm exceeding 800 cals, it won't be by much.

Mostly I make the shakes up myself, but I have a few ready-mades for if I'm out eg at work. I have my second shake a bit before going to bed, to get some carbs into my system for overnight. I am finding it relatively easy because I don't eat very much during the day anyhow; most of my food is consumed in the evenings. I'm not hungry as such, I just feel hollow some times. The urge to nibble can be quite strong (oh, for a piece of cheese!) but I've resisted so far. Please also note that there has not been a drop of wine since my evening out on the 17th - which accounts for the high (for me) fasting reading on the 18th :lol:

Downside - wind :shock: :oops: . Must be all the veg. :wink:

The Newcastle Study participants stopped all medication before or during the study period. After careful thought, I decided to continue with the Metformin (3 x 500mg per day), as I may still have some insulin resistance; it does not cause hypoglycaemia; it can help with weight loss; and it offers some protection from CVD and stroke. I will review the Metformin constantly in the light of the results.

Blood glucose readings:
These are taken fasting, and also if possible before and 2 hrs after eating, There is some variation; some must be considered random and are marked ‘r’; some are before eating and are marked ‘b’. I'm conscious of a need not to be extravagant with strips, given the present trend in the NHS about prescribing them. Don't want to upset my GP!

I don't test after my fasting test and before lunch. My eggs usually leave my BGs rock-steady.

18.01 09:00 – 6.3 23:30 – 4.7
19.01 08:00 – 5.7 19:30 – 4.6b 22:00 – 5.0 23:45 – 5.2 1.5 hrs after shake
20.01 08:00 - 5.2 12:00 – 5.6r 18:50 – 3.8b 21:15 – 4.3
21.01 09:00 – 4.6 13:30 – 4.6b 16:00 – 4.6 19:15b – 4.4 21:30 – 4.6
22.01 08:30 – 5.0 16:30 - 4.7 21:30 - 5.1

I'm very pleased with Saturday 21st :D

I'll edit this later with my last BG readings for today, and then post something similar every Sunday. Sunday is also going to be weigh-in day, only I forgot this morning. :roll:

Viv 8)

edited once to complete today's BG readings.

Angeleyes

A slimfast diet, my wife tried one of those once. I tried the stuff and it was foul so you are a brave woman using it. Maybe it has changed in the last year or so? :think:

Can I ask viviennm, did your modified atkins diet that I have seen you posting here frequently not provide you with results to control your blood sugar levels and decrease your weight? I thought from the comments I had read that it was very good for that. However, it seems it hasn't worked for you? Is there perhaps some other reason why your weight has increased rather than declined? I would be interested to know.

Nanaclaire

Hi there I too have decided to have a go at the slimfast diet so far had a slice of toast at breakfast (BM 11.3) slimfast for lunch (BM before 9.8 2 hrs later 6.2 ) so fingers crossed hubby is also trying it I would like to loose about 3stone wonder how much I can get off before October wen my son gets married. Good luck to you . NanaclaireEdenpark

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Angeleyes, the Atkins diet was/is still working - the weight I put on over Christmas was all to do with eating too much carbohydrate and drinking too much wine, over and above my usual way of eating. My fault!

If you're a serial dieter like me (50 years and counting :shock: ) you'll know that on any diet, however good and however sustainable, you eventually plateau and have a period when the weight simply won't come off, no matter what you do. Usually weight loss starts again after a time, but if you can't ride out this plateau you'll lose heart and start eating wrongly again. I don't want that to happen.

I was finding it difficult to re-motivate myself - not so much about eating the Atkins way, but to stop adding the odd bottle of wine to it, or too many treats! :oops: . So I've decided to try a restricted calorie diet for a while, to see if it will shift the Christmas weight and to see how it compares as far as BG control goes. Also to see if I lose as well by severely restricting calories as I do by severely restricting carbohydrates. I need to discipline myself out of sloppy habits. And it's cheaper, which helps at the moment.

Pre-Christmas, on Atkins, my BG readings were usually in the low to mid 5s, with some 4s. My last 'true' HbA1c , in September, was 5.2. December was contaminated by a chest infection, a tooth abcess, antibiotics and 2 courses of steroids, pretty well simultaneously, and was 6.0

Over Christmas, with the extra carbs and alcohol, my BGs crept back into the 6s, even the upper 6s, which is high for me. What I'm getting at the moment on the Slimfast is no different to what I would expect if I was being good on Atkins.

I've lost 4.5 stone so far on Atkins, more slowly than the first time I did it, but probably more permanent for that. The weight gain and higher BGs over Christmas came mainly from the extra carbs. Alcohol doesn't lower my BGs, they tend to creep up, mainly because I drink too much when I do drink. No, I don't get drunk and fall over! I just get mellow and raid the fridge :oops: .

Also, according to Robert Atkins, any amount of alcohol will stop weight loss because our metabolism stops burning fat and starts to run on alcohol instead :shock: . I don't know if what he says is right, but it certainly stops me losing weight. It also makes me eat more (grazing as well as meals) which doesn't help.

So the weight gain at Christmas was not unexpected and was totally my fault. I'm giving my system a little shock at the moment, and will be going back to Atkins with some relief as soon as I've finished my tins of shakes. I don't dislike them but I couldn't eat this way for ever! Atkins is my preferred lifestyle, if you like, and the diabetes helps curb my greed and my lazy eating habits. If I eat carbohydrates, I gain weight. Simples! (I hate that meerkat :twisted: )

Nanaclaire, good luck with the Slimfast. I'm finding it quite pleasant, the only problem is a desire to nibble something I shouldn't - like cheese, mid-afternoon. But since I only intend to do it for a month I think I'll be able to stick to it. I couldn't contemplate doing it for 3 stones-worth of weight loss, I'm afraid. But 3 stones off by October is certainly do-able. The first time I did Atkins I lost 50lb in 6 months.

Oh dear, I do go on, don't I? :lol:

Viv 8)

Angeleyes

Thank you for your most welcome and informative post viviennm. After reading what you have to say I think I will just stick with the normal low/reduced carb diet which has stood me in good stead for many years now. The weight I lost, over 4 stone has remained off and I have no problems with bg levels or HbA1c's. I was thinking of trying out your modified Atkins diet for a change but it would seem it may not suit me.

My view is why change/fix something if it isn't broke. Best wishes with the Slimfast regime.

Thanks again. :D

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
congratulations, it's easy to accept a plateau but having the courage to make a change is great. It makes perfect sense if you're doing the same things you'll get the same results so changing things is the logical way to get going again, but easier said than done for most!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Angeleyes wrote:

I was thinking of trying out your modified Atkins diet for a change but it would seem it may not suit me.

Aktins doesn't suit everyone, Angeleyes, but please don't base that decision on me having a try at a restricted calorie Slimfast diet. I'm very happy on my Atkins lifestyle and am just having a change for reasons that are mostly inside my own head. I'll be back on it again, happily, after I've finished the shakes. It does work, it gives me energy, and I find it easy.

The only thing that's disturbing me about the Slimfast is the way the residue in the bottom of the cup turns blue-ish if you leave it for a couple of hours before washingup :eh:

Thanks for your comments, Gappy. I'm supporting your Valentine's Day deadline and I think she's an idiot if she doesn't at least give you a chance. :crazy:

Viv 8)

louiseb

viviennem said:
The only thing that's disturbing me about the Slimfast is the way the residue in the bottom of the cup turns blue-ish if you leave it for a couple of hours before washingup :eh:

Viv 8)

I have also noticed little blue specks in my shakes whilst drinking them. I have even seen this blue specks in the powder in the tin.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
A minor slip-up today - I was working in the National Park Office, 10am - 4pm, and left my lunchtime ready-made shake at home! So I was very hungry when I got in and finally had a made up shake, pushing 5pm. Anyway I was craving cheese, so I made that shake without water, cut out a few veg, and had about 50g of grated cheese on the ample portion of veg I did eat.

The shakes are really quite palatable without any milk, and it does give a bit of flexibility as to how I have my calories - 80 calories from the skimmed milk in each shake, which means I can free up 160 cals if I make them with water. Also I lose 35g carb per shake - 70g in the day - which cheers me up a bit. Don't forget, this is not the Newcastle Study diet so I have more leeway. :wink:

Presumably we're not alone in having the little blue flecks in our tins, Louiseb, so they may be harmless. I'd like to know what they put in them to keep my bowels functioning. It's not the veg - I eat just as much on Atkins. :lol:

Viv 8)

youngmanfrank

Well done for giving it a go.I think the reason Newcastle used 3xOptifast meals is that it guaranteed them that their patients got the right amount of vitamins and minerals,this is also the case with Slimfast as each meal contains 1/3 of the daily requirement.

With all my running,swimming and walking I ended up getting muscle pains during my diet which I recognised as being due to mineral depletion (used to be an athlete).I supplemented my diet with a single daily multivitamin+multimineral pill containing the daily allowance for such things (Tesco do it).This solved my problem instantly.Reason I mention this is that you have gone freelance on your breakfasts,also a gastric band friend of mine was supplied with pills for this post operation,suggesting it is a known problem.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks for the advice, youngmanfrank. I'd thought about this, also the loss of calcium intake if I cut out the milk, so I'm taking a course of that self-same Tesco supplement as well as my Vit D3 and magnesium. I usually do a course of multi-vit/minerals at this time of year anyway. Even if it's only a placebo effect it makes me feel better :)

Taking of which, I went for a little walk yesterday because I felt so good (I have back problems which affect my mobiity). Not only did I get to the village shop without having to stop, but I wasn't breathless either. That suggests to me that my internal fat is shifting and therefore compressing my lungs less. Maybe I'll be able to walk distances again soon :D Anyway, I'm going to build up gradually and see how it goes.

4.8 at 08:30 today.

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
End of week 2 - my first full week! Weight loss last week - 5lbs, which brings me exactly back to my pre-Christmas weight of 17 stones. My next target is 16st something - shouldn't be too difficult. :wink:

I've had a couple of hiccups this week - mainly to do with cheese, and a smallish curry on Friday (which I did eat with cauliflower!) so I've probably been nearer 1000cals than 800 for 3 days, even with dropping a shake on those days. It has served to remind me how high in calories cheese is :shock: - and how much I hate calorie counting :twisted: . That's what I like about Atkins - eat the allowed foods and you don't have to worry.

I feel "thinner" (do I mean hollow?), and some of my external fat is definitely less massy - wobbles more :oops: . But it's going. Also, I tried on the target waterproof on Friday, and I can now zip it up :thumbup: but I wouldn't llike to walk anywhere in it yet.

So, I shall persevere. I quite like the shakes, but I don't like this way of eating. :D

Last week's figures:

Week 2 Weight loss last week: 3lb
23.01 07:30 5.0 16:00 4.7 23:15 4.6
24.01 08:00 5.1 22:00 4.7 forgot lunch – some cheese with veg supper
25.01 08:00 4.8 13:00 5.7b after short walk 16:00 4.4 19:30 3.7
con't 23:00 4.9 some cheese again
26.01 08:30 4.8 22:00 5.1
27.01 08:30 5.0
28.01 08:30 4.9 16:00 4.9 21:00 5.1
29.01 09:30 5.4 16:00 5.1 22:00 5.4

Weight loss - 5 lb.

Total on this diet - 8lb

Viv 8)

Edited twice to get the results in columns. Probably failed!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I tried a meal replacement diet once [the brand name slips my memory] I GAINED weight, so gave it away.
I don't eat much normally and try to make sure whatt i do eat is dense in VALUABLE nutrients. Most meal replacement stuff is pretty high in its proportion of carbs, although the actual amount may not be large. As always
READ THE NUTRITION PANEL
Hana

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, Hana. How nice to see your post - I remember you from 12 months ago, when I first joined the forum. You helped me a lot - thanks!

Don't worry, I have read the nutritional panel. I'm making the shakes with water to cut out some carbs, and I'm only having 2 shakes a day for the same reason. I'm between 70g and 100g carb per day, which is high for me but not disastrous. That's the main reason for only following the diet for about 4 weeks. Then I'm back on Atkins. The comparison will be interesting!

It has had one effect I wanted - it has focused my mind back on the important things and stopped the treating/cheating behaviour I had got into over Christmas.

Viv 8)

youngmanfrank

Forget the Atkins and the carbs ,that was a different way of looking at things,just look at your blood sugar levels.They are brilliant.

I did the diet at the right time for me.Prior to diagnosis I was 16.5 stones,after two years of diet and exercise I was stuck on 13.5 stones and my blood sugars were high and going downhill.Post diet I swear my scales have broken as they are stuck on 12 stones whatever I eat.

Eating whatever I like up to 1800 calories a day and not eating "diabetic" foods my fasting figures have risen and lie within a range of 4.7-5.5,always reflecting what and how much I last ate the day before.Off metformin my body is now in charge of regulating its own blood sugar levels and is coping well.On Metformin and on my diet my fasting levels were always between a narrow range of 4.7-4.9.

All my diabetic complications have disappeared(mostly skin related) and mentally I have lost that horrible grey depression and now feel full of energy and really positive.

You have lost the right amount of weight initially,it will tend to come off in lumps rather than evenly.If you can keep going longer until you hit your target weight you will stand a better chance of long term success.Do you have a target weight? Mine was always 12 stones,the weight I was as a young adult.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Viv. Great results :clap: :clap:

Would you recommend the diet or do you think you would have got same results on atkins if you were in right frame of mind for it? I know when dieting we sometimes need a different diet to spur us on again when we get stuck. I hope you understand what I am trying to ask. :?