Trying a Slimfast diet

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My BG levels now are no lower now than when I'm following Atkins to the letter. I think it's done me good to have a complete change of focus (shaken my metabolism up a bit!) and it has certainly helped my mental attitude. It's focused my attention again, which was necessary just now.

As for a target weight - I'm 17 stone now, and have a target weight of 11.5 stone. There is absolutely no way that I could follow a Slimfast diet for 5.5 stones of weight loss :shock: :shock: If I tried, I'm sure I would be dead half-way through or I'd have killed someone else :lol: .

It may be just me, but this way of losing weight/controlling BG is NO WAY a permanent lifestyle choice, and anyone who thinks it is needs to have a long hard look at it and themselves. I've tried every possible means of weight loss over the last 50 years, and I know from experience that my body is perfectly capable of gaining weight on 1000 cals per day. If I stayed on the 800cals diet for too long, my body would shift into 'starvation' mode and store every calorie I gave it!

Atkins (that is, a low carbohydrate life style) suits me. It doesn't do any harm to give my metabolism a short sharp shock occasionally, but for me, it's not a lifestyle solution. Low carb is. :D

Right now, if you put a roast chicken in front of me, I'd do a good impression of Charles Laughton as Henry VII - rip it to pieces! The next 3 weeks are not going to be easy - and I have total admiratoin for those of you who are sticking to it for longer.

One thing - my gut (or belly - pick your own word) is definitely getting smaller, at a faster rate than on any other diet. That should just about keep me going. :lol: However, the end result of that will be wrinkly old-age skin folds :roll: :shock: even if there's only me looking, I don't need that!

Marina, I would recommend giving it a go if stuck. But it's not long term - and if you come off it aftr success, and then go back on to a 'non-diabetic' way of eating - well, every ounce and probably a bit more, will go straight back on.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it becomes a regular part of my post-Christmas de-tox. 4 weeks to get re-focused and then back to strict low-carb.

There's nothing wrong with it - but it's not a lifestyle.

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Viv, do you think maybe just a week or two to kickstart the weight loss?

I am a non-believer in a cure for diabetes so there is no way I would be doing this to "cure" diabetes.
I much prefer a lifestyle change that can be maintained for life.

Like you though, I feel my weight loss is not doing too good-maybe just me being impatient. I have just returned to my pre-Christmas weight and it's taken me til the end of January :crazy:

It's the usual toss up-do I want slow and steady weight loss or a quick fix????

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

This is the de-facto argument for any weight loss plan that shows quick results.

The thing is - how many slow and steady regimes actually work?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:

This is the de-facto argument for any weight loss plan that shows quick results.

Nice to see you again Patch! :D

I was away for a couple of months when you were on the Newcastle diet last year, how did you get on and did you manage to keep the weight off?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just got back from Africa - where I lost around 7lbs in a fortnight (but not intentionally!!!) I'm now lighter than I was at 16 (pre-diagnosis). I'm 15st 7lb... 8)

The weight has stayed off, though. I've gone back to lo-carbing, but find my portions are not as big as they used to be. I cheat a little more often (last night I had a bowl of Fruit n' Fibre w/whole milk :oops: ), but these cheating episodes don't impact my BG as much as they used to.

I'd recommend anyone tries it. There are plenty of other wacky ideas out there that people are gonna try...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Patch said:

Er mine does Patch, thanks for asking :lol:

And I am happy to report that as of this morning I have lost the 9lb's I put on over the xmas period :D

Next question?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Patch said:
I've gone back to lo-carbing,

I'm totaly confused now Patch, three weeks ago you said this on the Will YOU ask your Dr for the 600 cal diet:

Patch said:
I've started it again - but tried to save a few quid by using Asda's own meal replacement (£4 for 9 servings).

It is VILE. The Cafe Latte one looks like glue - I won't be buying it again.

Back to Optislim for me.

So are you Optifasting or low carbing?
confused.gif

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sid Bonkers said:
Patch said:

Er mine does Patch, thanks for asking :lol:

And I am happy to report that as of this morning I have lost the 9lb's I put on over the xmas period :D

Next question?

Life is back to normal, Sid and Patch arguing the toss again :clap:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
FergusCrawford said:
Life is back to normal, Sid and Patch arguing the toss again :clap:

I'm not arguing Fergus, Patch asked a question and I answered it, whats wrong with that? :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
I've just got back from Africa - where I lost around 7lbs in a fortnight (but not intentionally!!!) I'm now lighter than I was at 16 (pre-diagnosis). I'm 15st 7lb... 8)

The weight has stayed off, though. I've gone back to lo-carbing, but find my portions are not as big as they used to be. I cheat a little more often (last night I had a bowl of Fruit n' Fibre w/whole milk :oops: ), but these cheating episodes don't impact my BG as much as they used to.

I'd recommend anyone tries it. There are plenty of other wacky ideas out there that people are gonna try...

Patch,

That's great news on the weight loss, hopefully the reduced portion sizes (meaning fewer calories) will be enough to maintain your weight! :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well done, Patch! Hope you enjoyed Kilimanjaro.

I'm afraid I've blown it, folks. Started off today quite well, until I went out at mid-day to do my shopping before the weekend (snow forecast for overnight). It's not been above -2 all day, and the thought of yet another shake . . . :sick: :( . So I bought a chicken. :shock:

It's waiting to go in the oven at the moment, with half a bulb of garlic peeled and shoved up its you-know-where :shock: . I shall eat it with a heap of non-starchy veg and probably some butter and mayonnaise. And I shall enjoy every steaming mouthful :p

I have the greatest admiration for all you strong-minded people who have stuck to the Newcastle diet and got some great results, but I'm afraid this way of eating is not for me. I shall finish the shakes that I have open now, once I've finished the chicken. It should be warmer by then, which will help. The unopened ones I'll save for later on - possibly for after I come back from Inverness :lol:

In their favour, the shakes have been brilliant for getting off the pounds I put on over Christmas, but they're not a winter diet long-term. I'll probably try to give them another go in the spring.

So - applause to all of you who can stick to it :clap: :clap: I'm going back to Atkins :D

Viv 8)

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey, Viv,

I will be joining you on Atkins in three weeks four days - not that I am counting the days until the shakes are a distant memory lol xx

Glad you lost those Christmas pounds :clap:

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Viv for lasting as long as you did.
At least you managed to kick start the weight loss again which is an achievement.
And I admire you for being able to try it, I still can't bring myself to buy the shakes.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
viviennem said:
Well done, Patch! Hope you enjoyed Kilimanjaro.

I'm afraid I've blown it, folks. Started off today quite well, until I went out at mid-day to do my shopping before the weekend (snow forecast for overnight). It's not been above -2 all day, and the thought of yet another shake . . . :sick: :( . So I bought a chicken. :shock:

It's waiting to go in the oven at the moment, with half a bulb of garlic peeled and shoved up its you-know-where :shock: . I shall eat it with a heap of non-starchy veg and probably some butter and mayonnaise. And I shall enjoy every steaming mouthful :p

I have the greatest admiration for all you strong-minded people who have stuck to the Newcastle diet and got some great results, but I'm afraid this way of eating is not for me. I shall finish the shakes that I have open now, once I've finished the chicken. It should be warmer by then, which will help. The unopened ones I'll save for later on - possibly for after I come back from Inverness :lol:

In their favour, the shakes have been brilliant for getting off the pounds I put on over Christmas, but they're not a winter diet long-term. I'll probably try to give them another go in the spring.

So - applause to all of you who can stick to it :clap: :clap: I'm going back to Atkins :D

Viv 8)

Oh Viv please keep writing and making me laugh. I'm really struggling with depression at the moment, and having my anti depressants changed, as well as a stall in the weight loss (well gradually creeping up again). My GP says I am not in a place mentally to tackle the diet!!! That's all I needed to hear. I remember reading one of your longer posts somewhere then coming to the bottom and reading "but what would I know" - I think that is so funny. I just haven't the energy to post here, but do read. I'm with you in that I've about 5 or 6 stone to lose, so I do empathise with you, and well done on the progress you have made.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hang on in there, nirishdaisy. It's a bad time of year if you're depressed - makes everything seem even worse!

I bought 3 boxes of "costume" jewellery at our local sales on Saturday - part of a house clearance, I think. I had a wonderful time yesterday sorting through them for resale - amazing what you can do with a bit of soap and water and a little repair. That really cheers me up when I'm down. When I was really bad and on meds, I used to do lots of knitting and jigsaws, just to stop me from thinking. I hope you've got something that helps you.

Viv 8)

olgawaine

I believe that there is a specific type of diet meant for every person. Anyone can try different kinds of it but in reality we must first consult an expert before trying them on. If we are on a strict diet there are certain exercises that's only meant for you.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried the Optislim diet again last week. I lasted 8 days. :thumbdown:

I've never been so hungry in my life!!!

When I started the diet last time (in August 2011) I found it remarkably (even surprisingly) easy to stick to. I'm gonna give it another go in June/July when the weather warms up. Still got 19 or so lbs to lose...

The cold always keeps me hungry! :(

It's back on the Atkins for me (for the time being), too Viv!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'm sure the weather has something to do with it, for me at least. I ate a whole loaf of granary bread last week :shock: over three days, though. And my friend's cheese scones. And poached eggs on (organic wholemeal) toast on Monday at her sister's cafe. And I drank at the weekend.

In fact I'm so thoroughly ashamed of myself that I haven't tested for about a week :oops: . I think I'm getting back on track now, though - pork chop and courgettes last night! Omelette this morning, and soup planned for lunch. I'll test after those.

At least I didn't stuff myself with biscuits, cake and chocolate. But the nuts were nice :lol: :wink:

Viv 8)

Edit: reading over that, I was probably following NHS dietary advice!

minn

I am about 4-5 lb up on where I was at the end of my NS diet. I was going to have another go in Feb but the temperature dropped, my back and knees didn't like it so the exercise element went out of the window and I got a fit of the NY miseries- not proper depression , just the blues you get when it seems to be dark all the time and your joints ache in the cold. Im going to try again but I'm waiting for spring too- try and stay under the 13 st and get back into the exercise routine first. I have enormous sympathy for anyone trying to get their weight down and coping with depression at the same time-a close friend is in the same position and I am amazed she has the will to begin- don't see how she can avoid falling off the wagon- just try to help he get back on each time which she always does.
I took up knitting viv - stops me eating but don't know about the blood pressure- quality of the knitting is doubtful but I am the worlds most accomplished at unpicking, and the language is unrepeatable !