Type 1 and anger

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
0.1 below being able to drive. Properly winds me up when that happens.

Reactions: mountaintom

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It kind of is that's why it comes up yellow on my meter - I have my target range set between 5-8 instead of the more usual 4-7.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having woke up to find my back shed having been broken into last night and most of my power tools stolen I can honestly say that anger raises blood sugars.

I've had a 2u correction dose.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oh kev-w that’s beyond awful. Hope you’re insured. Even if you are, the sweat of replacing them all’s a task too many. Feeling sympathetically angry

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If there's one thing I hate, it's that. Hope you're insured @kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
no, not insured, but it's a council estate, I clean windows on it and folk gossip, first time in 19 years of living here so could be worse.

Blood up to 15.5 and half a breakfast's stood waiting.

And breathe :/

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that kev. And there’s me being all angry for no reason we don’t even lock our doors here.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems the neighbours lost stuff too, my shed wasn't locked (I live in a laid back cul-de-sac)and the missing stuff's not high value, but I'm worried about my workshop now, I have an old prefab garage in the back garden, pitched roof, decent job, 400v phase convertor and a metal working lathe, mill, surface grinder, drill press, shaper and a couple of welding sets in it, gas bottles, it's my wet weather work, or it was but most of the old steam engine guys I've made bits for are dead now.
Takes a bit to shock me but I'm shocked now. :/ but getting over it and my blood's down to 12 :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
0.1 below being able to drive. Properly winds me up when that happens.
Me too! Just a thought - since the ISO accuracy requirement for BG meters allows a certain percentage error, does that mean that 4.9 could mean you're still okay? I'm not suggesting anyone try to argue that; the requirement is that your monitor reading has to be 5 or more, but it's a bit arbitrary in an unreliable world of diabetes...

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having woke up to find my back shed having been broken into last night and most of my power tools stolen I can honestly say that anger raises blood sugars.

I've had a 2u correction dose.
Unforgivable. I don't know how people who do this kind of thing justify screwing with other people's lives. So sorry.

Reactions: kev-w

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too! Just a thought - since the ISO accuracy requirement for BG meters allows a certain percentage error, does that mean that 4.9 could mean you're still okay? I'm not suggesting anyone try to argue that; the requirement is that your monitor reading has to be 5 or more, but it's a bit arbitrary in an unreliable world of diabetes...

I've had this chat briefly with my DSN before - whilst you will probably be OK having had a biscuit or a sweet the letter of the guidelines is 5.0 and I doubt it would be looked upon favourably in the event of any incident. We can't with an indisputable degree of certainty say whether that 4.9 is relatively stable, on the way up or down or whether it's actually 5.6 or 4.1 (15% either side).

It comes down to keeping my driving licence is more important to me than having to excuse myself for being 15-20 minutes late somewhere but try telling that to the anger and frustration that rises up when the meter displays that.

4.9 - have something and wait.
5.0 - have something and get going.

:mad:

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: the driving thing. As I understand, you must test before driving. If you test, you’re under 5 and have an accident, you’re liable for whatever and your meter can be checked by the authorities.
If you don’t test and have an accident what’s the story there? You’re in trouble for not testing? If they take your meter it won’t tell them anything will it?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess it would be along a similar vein to failing to provide an evidential breath sample at the scene of an incident. You commit an offence by not making the data available for scrutiny. It reads very oppressive written out like that but it's the only way I can see it being dealt with. Same thing applies if you test over 5.0 after treating a hypo and jump in the car without waiting 45 minutes and checking again.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had this chat briefly with my DSN before - whilst you will probably be OK having had a biscuit or a sweet the letter of the guidelines is 5.0 and I doubt it would be looked upon favourably in the event of any incident. We can't with an indisputable degree of certainty say whether that 4.9 is relatively stable, on the way up or down or whether it's actually 5.6 or 4.1 (15% either side).

It comes down to keeping my driving licence is more important to me than having to excuse myself for being 15-20 minutes late somewhere but try telling that to the anger and frustration that rises up when the meter displays that.

4.9 - have something and wait.
5.0 - have something and get going.

:mad:
with you all the way on that!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just looked this up on the gov.uk website:
Group 1 car and motorcycle
  • blood glucose testing no more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey
    and
  • every 2 hours while driving
This is the link if anyone's interested: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabetes-mellitus-assessing-fitness-to-drive#insulin-treated-diabetes. This appears to be advice rather than law; whether or not it is, I agree completely that it'd do your insurance claim no good at all if you had an accident and hadn't followed it.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It says: “blood glucose testing no more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey”.
So that means you don’t have to test right prior to getting in the car. You need to have tested within 2 hours of getting in the car

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I test before getting in the car, despite DVLA rules, as bs can change within 2 hours. Don’t tell DVLA that - don’t want to have to stop and test every five minutes if hypo warning signs work well!!!