Type 1 and anger

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Have any adult onset T1’s suffered from anger problems? Asking for a friend.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
When blood sugars are low then often adrenaline’s released as one of the body’s ways of stimulating an increase of glucose from the liver. Fight or flight. I find grumpiness can be a companion of high blood sugars - general response to feeling a bit c**p.

Reactions: mountaintom

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Or did you mean the ‘why me’ anger?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5 stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. Anyone faced with diagnosis with an incurable chronic condition for no known reason will naturally feel angry. Youre grieving for your healthy life before diagnosis.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often read that...that anger is related to glucose levels. But I’m angry sometimes when my bg’s are fine. Is this more likely a general psychological reaction to the massive recent changes I’ve been through?
I mean, I could lose my temper quite easily before diagnosis but now when I lose my temper I’m prone to physically break things or throw them. It’s rage, actually.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@mountaintom simple answer is yes- diagnosis can bring anger with it, as @catapillar mentions it’s associated with the stages of grief and there’s no precise level of time or intensity for any of us who experience it, it can be intensified by high/low episodes so keeping stable blood glucose levels will help, most importantly talk about it, try to work out what’s triggered it and what your thinking when it happens, also try to breathe more deeply when you feel it coming on so take a big deep breath, it will help you to relax and not react so much.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You need some support from your GP. Have you asked for any? We can self-refer for talk therapy and dn can put us in touch with diabetic psychologist.
Give the dn a try first?

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My dx was so long ago, I don't remember much of the detail, but there was certainly a bit of anger for a while.

Ironically, it was often triggered by well meaning people who were trying to reassure me that, "it will all be fine". To which the response would be, "how would you know?"

I can't recall at this distance of time when I reached "acceptance". Happens in stages.

A few things do stick in the memory, though.

Was once standing on the ski slope at Glencoe. There was still snow in May, lovely sunny day, blue sky, looking out from the heights over Rannoch Moor and Buachaille Etive Mor, thinking, "I'm here, I almost died with dka at dx, but I'm not dead, I'm here."

I think almost dying has put lots of things into perspective. Very few things bother me. They aren't that important compared to dying.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often read that...that anger is related to glucose levels. But I’m angry sometimes when my bg’s are fine. Is this more likely a general psychological reaction to the massive recent changes I’ve been through?
I mean, I could lose my temper quite easily before diagnosis but now when I lose my temper I’m prone to physically break things or throw them. It’s rage, actually.

I've found the gym to be good therapy for anger and stress over the years, and I definitely swim faster when I take my annoyances into the pool with me :) but always get out with a big grin on my face. ok, maybe not big but not as grumpy as I can look.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got any angry music? I've got a playlist for this purpose.

I don't find myself angry when low but I do get snappy if my blood is running quite high (mid-teens upwards).

Your friend has lots of questions maybe they should get a forum account

Biekmas83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. For no reason at all other than leave me alone as am trying to lower my sugars! As for hypos probably the opposite, I concentrate so hard on eating to fix I don't get as wound up. Probably because high teens are longer and harder to fix on injections than hypos that allow me to eat to fix!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think I've ever really been angry with my diabetes. I have however been extremely angry because of my diabetes. This anger was down to medication and BS levels.
Agree with @kev-w. regarding exercise, diabetes and anger.
A good workout can work wonders for stress relief and taking your rage out on whatever.
A bad day at work, some chav cutting me up in his Corsa, someone saying something I totally disagree with, unexplained BS levels all that stuff. All made better by a good workout where I take it out on, and focus all my agression on my diabetes.:)

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ironically, it was often triggered by well meaning people who were trying to reassure me that, "it will all be fine". To which the response would be, "how would you know?"

Loads of people on this forum have told me it'll be ok, they don't know any better than anyone else.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Loads of people on this forum have told me it'll be ok, they don't know any better than anyone else.

You're an intelligent person, but you've got a remarkable ability to take things out of context!

Back when I was dx'd I was getting angry because I knew very little about it, and nor did the people who were telling me I'd be fine.

But move on 30 years, and having learned more about it, my own experience is that, hmm, let me have a look at my results, yep, I'm doing fine.

Sure, that's a sample size of 1 and anecdotal. But there's been dozens of people on this site telling you similar stories.

And formal studies like DCCT, which say that provided you pay a bit of attention to levels, there's a pretty good chance of avoiding complications. No guarantees, of course, but we've got to run with what we've got.

The advice you've been given that it will be ok is always heavily caveated by the fact that T1 is unpredictable, there's no guarantees, but you can't possibly deny the fact that it is coming from people who do know what they are talking about, having lived it for decades, and have done well.

It's up to you what you do with it. You can spend the next x decades moping about statistical risks, or just say, aye, ok, no guarantees, but chances are it'll pan out ok.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are so right. We don't know, no one else knows. So that only leaves you. It's your life , your diabetes, your decisions.
We along with others will willingly try to help. Help based on our own experiences, failures and successes.
You have a choice ... listen or ignore.
I doubt it will be okay for you. Nonetheless I'll still be here to give you input based on to many years experience.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get that sometimes, but it's not linked to my BG levels. Although according to my mum I've always had it so I think it's just how I am

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I try to be practical with it. No point in doing anything else. My coping mechanisms (hate that stupid expression by the way) are to swear under my breath but I settle very quickly as I perceive others might think "what's up with him?" Not worth it ...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think posters are trying to reassure your ability to make your management better. They may have more faith in you.... then you do.
Which is a shame.
You may need help from a profession with that.
This is a support forum.

You have been suffering for so long now.
Are you going to seek professional help?