Tom-stick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos...
Hello!

I began running in 2023 and am pleased to report that it has gone well. I recently ran a 10k and have registered for the Farnborough Winter Half Marathon in January.

I've learned to appreciate how difficult it is to train with T1D - both mentally and physically - throughout my training. I've also noticed that while there are numerous running groups in the area, none of them support runners with T1D (which can make training feel quite isolating). I'm hoping to reach out to runners with T1D in my area and ask if they'd be interested in joining a running group in Southampton where you can meet and train with other diabetics!

It would be great to start a group with likeminded individuals with diabetes to train and discusses the challenges that come with it.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Tom-stick Also a runner and I get completely what you mean about connecting with other t1d runners, I am also a member of my local running club and the only t1d there but another member's daughter has t1d so we get to chat about her when we run together, I am part of a few t1d exercise/running groups on Facebook and this has been useful connecting to others, also run at my local parkrun and sometimes someone will chat to me about someone they know with it as I have my G6 on the back of my arm so we do tend to stand out, if I volunteer at my parkrun and do the 1st timers chat I will ask if there's any other t1d's running and once had a woman from Ireland say hello, so we are out there, but it's really nice to connect to others.

Reactions: Tom-stick

Tom-stick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos...
Hey @Tom-stick Also a runner and I get completely what you mean about connecting with other t1d runners, I am also a member of my local running club and the only t1d there but another member's daughter has t1d so we get to chat about her when we run together, I am part of a few t1d exercise/running groups on Facebook and this has been useful connecting to others, also run at my local parkrun and sometimes someone will chat to me about someone they know with it as I have my G6 on the back of my arm so we do tend to stand out, if I volunteer at my parkrun and do the 1st timers chat I will ask if there's any other t1d's running and once had a woman from Ireland say hello, so we are out there, but it's really nice to connect to others.
We seem few and far between!

It's always good fun connecting with other T1Ds in real life regardless of the situation. Hopeful to find a small group local to me for running - but it's turning out to be quite the challenge :)

Reactions: Juicyj