Type 1 diabetic & struggling to lose weight

Sodge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I need help!
I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for the past 18 years. I am very keen to lose weight and have tried several times to do so. I Cannot find a suitable way to do it without my BG's constantly dropping and then I have to have something with carbs/cals in to bring my BG up again thus defeating the whole days efforts to eat sensibly!! I am on an insulin pump and each time I try to lose weight I make sure I drop my insulin to the correct levels so I am not over-dosing...
I am currently immobile following a sports injury which is not helping!
Can anyone help me how they have managed to lose weight with type 1 diabetes?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Sodge :)

Have you been able to work out why your BS keeps dropping? When does it drop, eg after meals, in the night, etc?

Reactions: GrantGam

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The only way I could lose weight was to cut back on carbs and cut down alcohol (to zero for 6 weeks and then maximum of 6 or 7 units per week).

That was ten years ago. I've recently been trying to lose weight I put on, after being diagnosed coeliac and going gluten free, and found the weight more difficult to lose. I think that comes down to age - the older we get, the less calories we require.

If you are going hypo when eating less, you should basal test and also check your ratios.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on an insulin pump and each time I try to lose weight I make sure I drop my insulin to the correct levels so I am not over-dosing.

Are you carb counting on the pump? Are you putting accurate carb counts in for dosing? Have you basal tested?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please dont assume its your bolus, it could well be that with less food that you will need to amend your basal too.

I would suggest you go back to basics.
Basal test for a couple mornings, then if the mornings are correct, then add in revised food. If go low it is definitely the carb ratio. (Unless you've had to correct).

Then if you are lowering carbs introduce fat/protein but be careful as this can again alter the bloods

You probably run at a 50/50 ratio or 60/40 for your basal/bolus currently.
So, if all of a sudden you are cutting your carbs say by 50%, that ratio will be out the window.. which is why you need to look at what your current basal/bolus ratio is and to also monitor that.

Dont give up, you've managed the pump and you can manage it for weightloss too.
If you have introduced some extra activity, for helping weightloss, then this too will have to be managed on your pump.

It is doable.

Reactions: Deb1million

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
The only advice as a type 1 diabetic would be to eat things in moderation,make sure you have protein in your diet as well as a bit of carbohydrates.i have been type 1 diabetic for 14 years and it is tough dieting especially when bs go down

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I lost almost three stone over ten years ago and have kept the weight off ever since. I left my carbs pretty much as they were but drastically reduced the fat content of my diet. I use lucozade for hypos.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Sodge.

When I'm wanting to drop weight, I eat low carb and do a little intermittent fasting. I'll skip breakfast and eat around 100g of carbs split between lunch and dinner. Note that I don't eat high fat alongside my low carb, this allows me to keep my calories low for the day. No food after 6pm or before noon.

If you find that you need breakfast to keep your BG from rising, then something small like an apple should be enough to tie you over.

I'm not entirely sure about the mechanics behind intermittent fasting - and whether it actually "speeds up metabolism" as it claims. But, what I do know is that eating in a fixed window does make you eat less.

Reactions: lizdeluz

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Sodge.

When I'm wanting to drop weight, I eat low carb and do a little intermittent fasting. I'll skip breakfast and eat around 100g of carbs split between lunch and dinner. Note that I don't eat high fat alongside my low carb, this allows me to keep my calories low for the day. No food after 6pm or before noon.

If you find that you need breakfast to keep your BG from rising, then something small like an apple should be enough to tie you over.

I'm not entirely sure about the mechanics behind intermittent fasting - and whether it actually "speeds up metabolism" as it claims. But, what I do know is that eating in a fixed window does make you eat less.

I agree that a fixed window helps and I find that low carb with occasional and intermittent fasting helps me to avoid putting weight back on - though usually I prefer to leave out lunch rather than breakfast. I correct hypos with the lowest number of glucose tablets that will bring my blood sugar up to an acceptable level: not fun but better than panic-raiding-of-the-larder/fridge for some calorific snack that would send my blood sugar soaring too high in an unpredictable way.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
this may not work for everyone - but - when I lost a few kilos, I set myself my target insulin intake, so in my head It was giving less insulin rather than eating less if that makes sense? And this reduced hypos and allowed me to reduce my intake

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your problem sounds like those hypos only, as it seems you are motivated to change your diet and keep up with it. So it simply boils down to pinning down what causes the hypos.

When I started reducing carbs my basal dropped as well, because it triggers changes in your overall metabolism. Thus I agree you may want to consider your basal levels the next time you start a diet. Also maybe don't go cold turkey as this could be dangerous if you have hypos... I would just reduce carbs just significantly enough and figure things down slowly. Then once your basal is double-checked and corrected if necessary, you may want to consider your bolus ratios again.

When figuring out what causes hypos, you should always check your recent history (past 4-5h): did you move more than usual? Did you eat? If you ate it may well be your bolus, but if you are fasting or it's the middle of the night it may be your basal.

Keep in mind that if you eat lots of complex carbs and/or proteins usually, and you stop it during your diet, this may lead to hypos about 3-4h after your meal because their processing is slower. The cause for that could be that you require less bolus to clean the end of your meal. However if you are used to eat complex carbs and proteins at all meal, it may increase your usual BS and you may have compensated for it with the basal in the past, because their slow processing make it look like you need more basal, and removing them may make you go hypo.

Also when you have hypos, you don't need to eat calorific food. I only take juice. It may help your diet more :)