Type 1 diabeties DKA

Bladezy

Hi guys I was just wondering how rare it is for a type 1 diabetic to not get any symptoms of dka even if not having control of their glucose levels

Reactions: Jojoswinsells

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the forums @Bladezy

Where you write not having control , what does this mean? How high are your glucose levels and how long do they stay high for?

From what I've read on the forums, DKA is more common amongst diabetics with sustained levels in the high 20mmols and above, although some may feel a bit lousy below this level but it depends on the individual.

Reactions: therower

Bladezy

Welcome to the forums @Bladezy

Where you write not having control , what does this mean? How high are your glucose levels and how long do they stay high for?

From what I've read on the forums, DKA is more common amongst diabetics with sustained levels in the high 20mmols and above, although some may feel a bit lousy below this level but it depends on the individual.

Umm to be honest iv had type 1 diabeties for about 10 years now and Iv never been ill really, but I have have very poor control of my levels and regularly miss my injections. But my brother who is also type 1 will get very ill if he even misses once and would be going into dka within a few hours. I have no idea what my sugar levels are and I sometime don't take my insulin for a few days to a week

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For DKA to be diagnosed you need high ketones as well as high glucose levels. If you are experiencing high glucose levels, but not high ketones, you may still need a saline drip to be rehydrated and your electrolyte levels to be checked. If you have high ketone levels as well, this indicates DKA and is life- threatening. Please don't take risks with your life and get help swiftly.

Reactions: dmckatana

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Umm to be honest iv had type 1 diabeties for about 10 years now and Iv never been ill really, but I have have very poor control of my levels and regularly miss my injections. But my brother who is also type 1 will get very ill if he even misses once and would be going into dka within a few hours. I have no idea what my sugar levels are and I sometime don't take my insulin for a few days to a week

Why are you not taking your diabetes maintenance seriously? Do you not see it as a risk?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bladezy ,

& Welcome.

Regarding you mentioning insulin omission "for a few days to a week."
Would that also include your basal? (Long acting insulin.)

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can have high sugars for a long time without going into DKA, I was like that for years. However if you are having no insulin at all for days at a time I'm very surprised you haven't ended up in hospital with it.

Whatever the reason(s) for you managing to not be ill you really need to start looking after yourself and your diabetes. DKA is not the only issue - however well you feel, living the way you are is going to be damaging your health and storing up trouble for the future.
Please get some support, whether it is from 'us', your doc, your family etc and start making a change x

Bladezy

Thanks for like the messages I just wondered if it was weird or anything. But yeah I'll be alright thanks. I just didnt know anyone else to ask. Yes thank you I am aware of the risk and health problems that can occur through bad control. @BeccyB what is a dexcom g6?

@Jaylee yeah I either have both or none at all

Kevvb1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys I was just wondering how rare it is for a type 1 diabetic to not get any symptoms of dka even if not having control of their glucose levels

This happened to me all the time I have no idea I’m in dka. Go doctors and they telling me I need an ambulance it’s crazy I don’t feel unwell when my meter says HI

Reactions: Andy41

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This happened to me all the time I have no idea I’m in dka. Go doctors and they telling me I need an ambulance it’s crazy I don’t feel unwell when my meter says HI
Your probably just used to being so high, just because you don't feel unwell when it says Hi does not mean you're fine.
High levels are dangerous, doctors (at least in the UK) don't tell you to go to the hospital if you don't need to, if the doctor tells you to go then you should.

Ketones have been as high as 5 but no feeling
On the NHS site (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/) it says:
  • 3mmol/L or over means you have a very high risk of DKA and should get medical help immediately
In other words get yourself to a hospital ASAP!

Kevvb1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ye and I have been and all they do is dka protocol jab an artery line in and then constantly tell me this is my fault and then discharge me. It happened on Monday and my ketones were 2.3 by the end of the day they were gone

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@BeccyB what is a dexcom g6?

The Dexcom G6 is a CGM - Continuous Glucose Monitor. Basically, it is a device you wear to see your glucose level 24/7 without constant finger pricks. It's not available on the NHS but many people pay privately as it offers such valuable information and the main advantage is that it can alert you when your glucose is too low or too high. https://www.dexcom.com/en-GB/uk-dexcom-g6-cgm-system

I'm going to stress again to you the importance of trying to get your diabetes better controlled. You really need to look at why you are choosing to not give your insulin. I know when I was first told about the complications etc I was all "yeah but that won't happen to me" and "well I'll be really old by then and it won't matter" but believe me I'm regretting that attitude now. I'm 42 next week (depending on your age you may think that's really old but it definitely isn't!) and have had a ton of laser treatment on my eyes which has damaged my peripheral vision and night vision and means I can't drive. I'm currently having to have injections in my eyes every couple of months, I've had a couple of bleeds in my left eye and it could happen again at any point and the damage could be permanent. I'm terrified of going blind with half my life still to live

I also have neuropathy in my feet, not at a painful level yet but it's uncomfortable and leaves me at increased risk of damage leading to amputation. I also have a form of Autonomic Neuropathy which means my blood pressure doesn't automatically adjust itself properly and I am giddy and disorientated every time I stand up or get up from bending which doesn't sound too terrible but actually if you think about all the times you stand or bend to go to the loo/get food or drink/put your phone on charge/ fuss your pet/pick something up it's really not fun at all. PLEASE learn from my lesson and start trying

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The Dexcom G6 is a CGM - Continuous Glucose Monitor. Basically, it is a device you wear to see your glucose level 24/7 without constant finger pricks. It's not available on the NHS but many people pay privately as it offers such valuable information and the main advantage is that it can alert you when your glucose is too low or too high. https://www.dexcom.com/en-GB/uk-dexcom-g6-cgm-system

I'm going to stress again to you the importance of trying to get your diabetes better controlled. You really need to look at why you are choosing to not give your insulin. I know when I was first told about the complications etc I was all "yeah but that won't happen to me" and "well I'll be really old by then and it won't matter" but believe me I'm regretting that attitude now. I'm 42 next week (depending on your age you may think that's really old but it definitely isn't!) and have had a ton of laser treatment on my eyes which has damaged my peripheral vision and night vision and means I can't drive. I'm currently having to have injections in my eyes every couple of months, I've had a couple of bleeds in my left eye and it could happen again at any point and the damage could be permanent. I'm terrified of going blind with half my life still to live

I also have neuropathy in my feet, not at a painful level yet but it's uncomfortable and leaves me at increased risk of damage leading to amputation. I also have a form of Autonomic Neuropathy which means my blood pressure doesn't automatically adjust itself properly and I am giddy and disorientated every time I stand up or get up from bending which doesn't sound too terrible but actually if you think about all the times you stand or bend to go to the loo/get food or drink/put your phone on charge/ fuss your pet/pick something up it's really not fun at all. PLEASE learn from my lesson and start trying

Totally agree with what you have said here. 48 years type 1. Was never in control in my twenties because I knew better!!! Totally regretting that now. Blind in mt left eye and stage 4CKD!
@Bladezy I cant stress how much you need to be in control. We all KNOW the damage type 1 can cause BUT when we are younger we tend not to listen to doctors/consultants. 2 peoples bad control have come to light here on the importance of keeping levels level

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@porl69 looks like we've done a similar turn around! My HbA1c used to be 13/14% (your 139 is apparently equivalent to 14.3%) and my last one was 7.7% (61 in your terms) so a bit behind yours but getting there. Just goes to show that even the 'worst' diabetics can turn it around - hopefully we can inspire/scare others into changing too!!

Reactions: gemma_T1

Bladezy

I try I just don't think about it alot of the time. I know that's a poor excuse, I don't really know what to say. I have seen those on TV, do you think it helps?

Reactions: KPD

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Bladezy is there any possibility you are in denial about your t1 ?

I couldn't imagine not controlling mine, the fear of going blind is enough to keep me on track and seeing my daughter grow up is my motivation.

Please ask your DSN for some support and take back control, as you know even if you can't see what damage is being caused, it's inevitable so getting support is vital.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I try I just don't think about it alot of the time. I know that's a poor excuse, I don't really know what to say. I have seen those on TV, do you think it helps?

I have found the dexcom extremely helpful but it’s only really as good as the effort you put in to reacting to what it tells you and using it to learn about your diabetes. It may be too much information at once at your stage but it may be the key for making you take more notice of your levels. If you have the “high” alarm on it will certainly make you want to get your level down so it shuts up!

I used to try to live life without really thinking about it too, but ultimately you need to make yourself think about it even though it’s a total pain in the #@%! In the short-term you will feel like you’re worse off as you’re spending more of your time doing diabetes stuff but in the longer term you will be buying yourself more time before you are unable to avoid the complications. It’s really unfair and we shouldn’t have to make this choice but the fact is we do. There are lots of people here who understand and we will try to help and support as much as we can but at the end of the day it has to come from you.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ye and I have been and all they do is dka protocol jab an artery line in and then constantly tell me this is my fault and then discharge me. It happened on Monday and my ketones were 2.3 by the end of the day they were gone
What else do you want them to do @Kevvb1 ? Do you have a diabetic team at the hospital you could talk to?