Type 1: I'm a horrible diabetic

jessirene

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My health insurance is being so difficult with approving my insulin, I drove to my doctors office yesterday to ask for insulin samples..

My BS are doing good today though I woke up at 244 but I'm always high in mornint. I haven't been above 130 for the rest of the day.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
that is terrible you are having problems getting an essential life saving treatment :(

good thinking on at least getting some samples from your doctor !!

not above 130 the rest of the day is a great result too !!

maxdaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jessirene, please be regimental with your health. It is never late to start. My sister played on for years with no insulin control, eating badly and now she is partially sighted, with feet and hand neuropathy as well as autonomic neuropathy on her whole body. She has been diabetic for 26 yrs. please do take care of yourself, try low carb and you won't be hungry, nor would you gain any weight. Invest, if you can, on continuous monitoring systems like freestyle libre and take control. Doing it will improve your self steam and the results will give you the power to stay strong. Remember, never too late.... start today. Btw, I am also diabetic type 1.

jessirene

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's days like today that get me discouraged... had a great 2 days but today has been so high stressed that my BS won't come down.

My insurance company called my pharmacist and told her that they will not pay for my insulin because they don't like that the doctor wrote it down as a sliding scale. They want set doses on my script. I've never had this issue, all diabetics are sliding scale! Now I have to wait for doctor to write a new script that has set doses. It's ridiculous.... I love my country but pharmaceutical companies and insurance out here sucks.

kenneth_SW19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi JessIrene,

You received a Whole Lotta Love here (as Led Zeppelin would say).
Might I most kindly urge you to read afresh each posting here from all, and most especially JuicyJ, Azure, GlamD, PaulK and TorqPenderloin (Nice pun buddy! You obviously know your ass from your elbow AND a good joint of meat - ha ha).

I suggest you listen to GlamD and PaulK advice that is far better to gain a few pounds and LIVE to see your children grow up admiring a loving, caring mom - rather than blow it over ignoring your own Health NEEDS?

It seems that both your health systems and Medical Insurance cover sucks over there in the good ol' USA.
Here in the UK ours may currently be broadly speaking far better, but with the astronomic burdens of Diabetes and other such problems (both disease/treatment wise, and also Hospital/medical authority structures et al - [*** does 'that mean?])... our UK services may well be headed down the pan within the next 5-20 years too. Much of the diabetes increase can in MY humble opinion be cast at the door of food manufacturers who have collectively been adding ever increasing sugar levels into wide food ranges for past 5 decade. Indeed cereals these days are circa 5 times more sugars in them than was the case when I were a stripling of a kid back in the 1960's... Oh yes and we (most of us) are far too lazy like fast/microwave processed food and no longer exercise enough - Political Ranting Over. Apologies if I exceeded polite limitations.

We all here wish ourselves and others a better health, lifestyle and longest pleasant lifespan available to be FULLY ENJOYED.
Good wishes for success in achieving your ambitions for good diabetes control and a happy balanced life style, filled with happy memories shared with your child/ren

PS. If you're a horrible diabetic, then I am simply ATTROCIOUS....
But I am far more "lucky" than you - because I am Type 2, so whilst mine can be similarly damaging, I suspect it is much less Life-Threatening.

But in the end, if neither of us take sufficient care of OUR OWN NEEDS, then we are both making poor choices and headed in the wrong direction.

I DO BELIEVE that we are both making the better choices and headed in a good direction! Being HERE is evidence enough of your desires. Go For it with zeal .

Last edited by a moderator:

LauraNoraLoo

I have been type 1 for going on 12 years now. The only time I was "controlled" was when I was pregnant, I got my A1C down from 13 to 6.4. I'm around 10 right now, but I look at all these post and half of what everyone post makes absolutely no sense to me. I see charts that people post that I've never seen before and other stuff. I am just horrible at this disease. I need to start taking care of myself, I just made an appointment with my Endo so I can get on track but I'm also terrified that getting healthy is going to make me Gaon weight like crazy. I can't be alone in this, am I?
Your not alone. This is me also. I have spells where i give myself a kick up the **** and im perfect for about 2 weeks then i slip out of it and back into bad habits.
Diabetes is a life style and thats what i struggle with - i hate that something other than me controls my life.

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lifeissweetenough I eat moderate carbs - at the moment around 180g per day, but has been slightly lower in the past. I tend to,stick to similar breakfast and lunches to avoid having to think too much, and have more variety at my evening meal. I eat cereal, rye bread, oatcakes, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc, but spread my carbs over the day (including snacks) and keep my portions moderate. I do have desserts sometimes but choose wisely and again have a moderate portion. I have full fat foods as they slow down any rises.

I advance bolus, test lots, including after meals, and keep active :)
This sounds balanced and do-able. Thank you ❤️

Manders39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been type 1 for going on 12 years now. The only time I was "controlled" was when I was pregnant, I got my A1C down from 13 to 6.4. I'm around 10 right now, but I look at all these post and half of what everyone post makes absolutely no sense to me. I see charts that people post that I've never seen before and other stuff. I am just horrible at this disease. I need to start taking care of myself, I just made an appointment with my Endo so I can get on track but I'm also terrified that getting healthy is going to make me Gaon weight like crazy. I can't be alone in this, am I?
Hi there I never post on this website but just wanted to take the time to reply to your post.
I have been Type 1 diabetic for 18 years now and can understand everything you are saying. I wouldn't say you're a bad diabetic I just think it's the nature of this illness. I fight with it every day, every hour almost, and it is exhausting. Up until 3 years ago my diabetes had been totally out of control, it was just constant ups and downs and I could get nothing right. My HB1c was always between 11 and 12 and I used to get so depressed because I felt like I was giving it my all and nothing worked. I also put on 4 stones from being diagnosed and my weight just kept going up. Im sorry to other users who go by the DAFNE concept but it was definitely the worst thing I ever did, because essentially your told you can eat whatever you want as long as you take enough insulin. Well that was all I needed to hear and I DID eat whatever I wanted and put on 3 stones doing it!!! Eventually I realised something had to be done. So I went on a low card diet (60g daily) and started exercising and my HB1c gradually started to come down. After 2 years of this regime I have lost 5 stones and my HB1c is now at 7, the best it has been, ever!!!! I can totally understand you not wanting to put weight on, but in my experience I lost because I was on a low carb diet. You will have lots of people telling you different things but find what works for YOU, for me DAFNE DIDN'T work for me. I wish you well but you are not alone if you are on this site and pray you can find something that works for you

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are NOT alone...

The biggest fear I had as an adult, was gaining weight whilst trying to be "healthy". With a higher blood sugar, you loose the "hunger" feeling and learn to live without food... Which in turn, helps you to control your weight. In reality, you will gain weight when you have a lower HbA1c and a more "controlled" diabetes but it's not fat, it's stabilisation. The body is really smart - it doesn't want to loose or gain weight, it wants equilibrium, so it will plateau very quickly.

The fear is there and especially if you're a glam girlie, like myself BUT don't be afraid... You can work hard on the diet and exercise side of things but you can't even think about it if the diabetes is "out of control". The struggle is massive and the advice we all listen to or give is positive but the day-to-day blandness of the disease is tough.

Try to approach it worth a clear head and a positive outlook.. I have had diabetes 20 years and I am only 27. The damage I have caused by such high sugars, (from the fear of gaining weight) is irreplaceable now but I would love to help others... I still am glam and try to be as upbeat as possible but understand now we all need to support each other to get through these tough times!!

Aim for one thing to start... Get the AM blood sugar to a target... Let this happen everyday for a month and then add a new goal :). You will feel better and won't struggle with tiredness/exhaustion that comes from high sugars....
I was 57 kg an now am 69.4. I'm on lantus 12 units twice daily. Novorapid for bolus. I eat lchf about 40 to 60grams a day sometimes less. I just can't seem to lose anything but slowly week by week gaining. I'm 46 so it's pretty hard as you get older to lose weight without type 1 diabetes. I use to not take my insulin but I've been 2 months now being perfect and keeping between 4.5 and 8... I am unsure what else to do I feel quite trapped... I see my dn an endo 22 Feb re pump etc but I'm actually scared a pump will put more weight on me as its out of your control except for the meal time bolusing. Hands up in air.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just to provide a counter to the weight gain stories - I am 42, and under 50kg. My weight has remained constant since diagnosis. I do not low carb.
Sorry that I have no advice to give but just thought I would add my experience and send you a hug.

Reactions: azure

knighthoppers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jessirene, I am 47 years old and have been Type 1 for 30 years now. I lost control of my diabetes throughout most of my 20's and was lured into thinking that stopping my injections was the answer to weight-loss and happiness! About the only time that my blood sugars have ever been under 10 was when I was pregnant and lived in an almost permanent state of hypo to achieve my 6.2! Anyhow, as I've got older, my body can't cope with high blood sugars and I feel instantly tired, thirsty, sick/nauseous when the ketones kick in. I've had problems with my eyes and have pains in my hands but you know what - I'm still a young, working, Mother of 47!!

It gets harder as your body ages and the longer you've had Type 1. I now eat a balanced diet and do more exercise to keep the weight off - I'm not a perfect Diabetic and never will be but sooner or later you have to start listening to your body. I'm sure you will be fine. Do it for your child because I want to be here for as long as I can now for my daughter and that is my motivation to look after myself - for her.

Keep at it Hun and you'll soon reap the benefits - more energy and happier. Good luck xxx

Reactions: himtoo

Liverlad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 57 kg an now am 69.4. I'm on lantus 12 units twice daily. Novorapid for bolus. I eat lchf about 40 to 60grams a day sometimes less. I just can't seem to lose anything but slowly week by week gaining. I'm 46 so it's pretty hard as you get older to lose weight without type 1 diabetes. I use to not take my insulin but I've been 2 months now being perfect and keeping between 4.5 and 8... I am unsure what else to do I feel quite trapped... I see my dn an endo 22 Feb re pump etc but I'm actually scared a pump will put more weight on me as its out of your control except for the meal time bolusing. Hands up in air.
you may need to come off LANTUS , and try an alternative , my issues were similar to yours . When I was taken off LANTUS and put back on LEVEMIR I regained my control , my confidence , my well being and got my weight increases back to normal . I have just had my 40 th year as a type 1 diabetic . hope this helps , can go into much more detail if requested

Reactions: Juicyj

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you may need to come off LANTUS , and try an alternative , my issues were similar to yours . When I was taken off LANTUS and put back on LEVEMIR I regained my control , my confidence , my well being and got my weight increases back to normal . I have just had my 40 th year as a type 1 diabetic . hope this helps , can go into much more detail if requested
Hi I'm in new Zealand an we don't have levimar. Unfortunately. Booo

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like you are type 1 diabetic, I've got neuropathy of my feet and lower legs and neuropathy of my digestive system and gastroperisis, so not able to eat most foods, only small quantities.
I also have bipolar and severe depression and anxiety. I'm on a lot of medication and medication for my mental health, I also have very strong pain relief.
My bs are all over the place and I've got myself a new good bg machine called the accu-chek expert, which is very good but waiting for my dn to help me programme it properly next week and I will have to learn about counting carbs of which I'm going on a course Monday morning.
If anyone knows more about my b-sugar machine I would be most grateful for your advice and any on carb counting also would be really appreciated, many thanks to you all and if I can help anyone just drop me a line.
Thanks Jade

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jade0106 Good luck for your course :)

If you haven't already got it, the book Think Like A Pancreas is a very good general reference book for Type 1s :)

bridia12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jessirene what Blackers183 says is very true the secrect is knowing the amount of carbs you eat in any meal and calculating the amount of insulin to give for the carbs. My grandson has been on this course and after 10 years of not managing is type1 diabetes he is now so in control.He is looking so well and a lot happier,I realise you seem to live in America but what happens here in U.K. Has usually been done in USA so I wish you well and hope you get the advice you so need.Ho! and he has not put on weight he is quiet slim and he's been doing the carb to insulin for about 18 months.
I do carbcounting but cannot get used to the ratio [of one insulin to say 10 carbs] changing over each and every day; can anyone advise and help me here? Eg I just inject 3 bolus regardless of how much dinner and puddingI eat. That messes up my bedtime bgm reading and the following awakening morning I am usually too high. Thank you if you can.

susie229

susie229

Hi Jess, I too have been a horrible diabetic. I never read these type of forums because I didn't want to read about 'good' diabetics! I was in denial for about 20 years, until I started to get eye complications, and nearly went blind. If I could go back and change things... Looking back, I know that I used my diabetes as way to control my weight, having been a stone or more over weight for many years. The fear of further complications, however, encouraged me to try an insulin pump. I felt that putting on some weight would be better than going blind or having any more complications! Even writing that makes me see how ridiculous my thinking used to be. The pump has actually caused me to lose weight, as I am no longer 'oversteering' careering from high to low and back. I don't go hypo at night any more. Not that I know my sugars won't be crazy, (I got into lowish carb eating during my first pregnancy but not obsessive about it) I don't mind testing (it used to be like opening a bank statement, afraid to look,), in general, having a pump has made both my physical and mental health better. I hope this helps you, it's not too late to change, and managing it a bit better doesn't actually mean you that diabetes takes over every aspect of your life. Feeling better about your control will actually free you up in every other aspect of your life!

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I never post on this website but just wanted to take the time to reply to your post.
I have been Type 1 diabetic for 18 years now and can understand everything you are saying. I wouldn't say you're a bad diabetic I just think it's the nature of this illness. I fight with it every day, every hour almost, and it is exhausting. Up until 3 years ago my diabetes had been totally out of control, it was just constant ups and downs and I could get nothing right. My HB1c was always between 11 and 12 and I used to get so depressed because I felt like I was giving it my all and nothing worked. I also put on 4 stones from being diagnosed and my weight just kept going up. Im sorry to other users who go by the DAFNE concept but it was definitely the worst thing I ever did, because essentially your told you can eat whatever you want as long as you take enough insulin. Well that was all I needed to hear and I DID eat whatever I wanted and put on 3 stones doing it!!! Eventually I realised something had to be done. So I went on a low card diet (60g daily) and started exercising and my HB1c gradually started to come down. After 2 years of this regime I have lost 5 stones and my HB1c is now at 7, the best it has been, ever!!!! I can totally understand you not wanting to put weight on, but in my experience I lost because I was on a low carb diet. You will have lots of people telling you different things but find what works for YOU, for me DAFNE DIDN'T work for me. I wish you well but you are not alone if you are on this site and pray you can find something that works for you
Pretty much exactly the same experience for me too! I put on weight, initially liked DAFNE because I could eat what I want...did not work. Now low carb like you and results dramatically better. I would recommend it to anyone.

M

mist

Don't be so hard on yourself, you should see my numbers! :joyful: