mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It doesn't do anyone any good if we actively separate T1 & T2's or whatever. I've had great advice off people and to be honest I don't know what form of diabetes they have. I don't care to be honest. Ultimately, I filter the advice and take on board what I think makes sense. Also, I think I am able to give advice to T2's. With all the garbage we get off the media slating diabetics as fat and lazy, we need to stick together, not divide.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sw11bloke

I would discount the advice from a type 2 if my issue was type 1 related which it mostly is. I find it irrelevant to my condition. I would ask the advice off a non diabetic doctor as they are qualified.
I agree, many people do have a superior knowledge. i get this off other type 1's as I am a type 1.
I have not made anyone feel unwelcome so read into that as you want. I am merely saying... I sometimes post and then get irrelevant replies from type 2's.
You are welcome to be part of this community and fourm and read these threads for advice and support. I would just prefer advice from other type 1's.
SIMPLE

K

Kat100

Yes we do need to stick together, very sad if we don't...:(
Many illnesses are a condition with different variables involved, but you would not separate with regards to a support site or group, would you. I feel It discriminates IMHO.

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
I've received some great support from this forum, I love reading and taking in as much information that I can, 5 months in, still learning all the difference types of this disease and what they can do, whether that's T1,t2, T1.5, MODY, Lada, or any other. I'm in the camp of supporting each other on this forum because from my experience you don't get much help from the ' professionals '

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I spent three years controlling reducing glucose levels without insulin; fairly successfully given my HbA1c at the point where everything went topsy turvy and the amount of insulin I produced became too low. I was diagnosed after autoimmune testing as T1.
You're not a type 2, so get out of here say some (in spite of managing well for that period)
You're not a Type 1 because you may have a bit more insulin than I have .
I've had both sentiments expressed so where should I post?.
I read and learn about diabetes, perhaps too much so I'm doing an online course aimed at Medics at the moment, getting this 'thing' when I was far too old made me want to learn. That's me.
Perhaps I should just stick to the 1.5 section...... but what about discussions, other medications, diet?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I'm T1.5 but have received great support,friendship and advice from all of the diabetes spectrum and my take on things is...if I can genuinely advise a diabetic-regardless of type-I will try or at least give them a friendly pat on the back or at the very least,bump the post up if I feel there's nothing I can offer...I really resent an 'Us and them' scenario with a passion-we ALL face the same complications of this condition if we don't gain control regardless of type.

C

catherinecherub

Are you suggesting that only people with the same type of diabetes should reply to the OP? Would this also mean that the Greetings and Introductions threads would have sub divisions?

This would be very difficult as I have seen posts from other types unanswered for a few days and I answer them to bump them up so that they will get an answer. Will this be allowed in your proposals?

I would never try to answer a post that I know nothing about but I will answer a post from whatever type if I can help. It is not all about diabetes here, there are people who are desperate for advice re personal problems, DVLA, Employment etc.... and if I know the answer then I will post it. I also try and help with other health problems if I know anything about them. Will that have to stop too?

I know nothing about insulin regimes so would not be able to help but there are Type2s on insulin so where are they going to go for advice?

Often I see advice from Type1s to Type2's about diet and wonder if they understand that Type2's cannot match their food intake to an insulin regime?

I hate this idea of them and us and you cannot pigeonhole people on a forum or else it will create divisions within the community.
I think a better idea would be to ask all forum members to stop and think before they post and to try and help newbies understand that we only speak from personal experience rather than telling them what they can and cannot eat and how we manage our diabetes because, try as we might, we cannot manage theirs.

hornplayer

Sad.

I too will sometimes post on a thread because I think it could do with more attention, or because I've found something it that interests me and I'd like to be able to find it again.

A "them and us" attitude is unhelpful and unfair.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Well personally I think it would be a terrible idea that would only succeed in causing an us and them situation from both camps and what about those unfortunate members with LADA and MODY where would they fit in or that even rarer group who like myself have Steroid Induced Diabetes (SID) also known as New Onset Steroid Induced Diabets. What about us?

In fact in my own case I was started on MDI treatment which I was on for a year before gaining good enough control to stop insulin altogether, now whilst I would never claim to be an expert on T1 I do have some small knowledge of insulin and its effects and usage.

And more importantly as others have said I have received some great help, encouragement and support from most T1's and would hate to see them only allowed to post to certain parts of the forum.

I belong to a fishing forum where there are people who fish specifically for particular species of fish, there are those who only fish in the sea and those who only fish in fresh water, some in lakes and others in rivers some very strange anglers only fish for game fish ;) but you know the one thing we all share in common is that we are all have fishing fever, its our common condition.

So cant we all get along and encourage each other here, we all have diabetes which causes the same diabetic complications if we ignore it, we have an awful lot in common and should all be pulling together not trying to split ourselves into sub divisions.

Unbeliever

As has been said previously there is not a clear division between the different types of diabetes. There are many types and many posters have been misdiagosed in the past and had a wider experience than is apparent and others have unusual forms of diabetes which have feaures of different types.
Discovering about different forms of diabetes and their treatmeny is part of the reason for this forum. Life would be a lot simpler and we would probably all receive more effective treatment if we did fit neatly into the T1 and T2 slots . T1'5 MODY and LADA seem to be recognised more often these days which is obviously a plus for many but there is still a long way to go with this and very litle help and advice available outside hese boardsfor those who may have been misdiagnosed.
This is a dimension which would be lost if there was no cross-discussion.
On the other hand , of course, we wouldn't expect those with no knowledge of insulin to be advisinng T!s on its use and neither should we expect other types to be advising T2s on diets which many have found by experience to be the one which is best suited for them.
I found a recent thread where T1s and T2s were cooperating if gathering informaion for dUK to be very emncouraging and the way forward. IMHO.
I think we must all learn to be tolerant of the well meanng poster who mistakenly posts irrelevant information. . Thats the nature of an open forum.
Perhaps the Moderators might intervene when it is obviously a case of 'mistaken identity' rather than a discussion or debate which mayoftenprove exremely useful to others

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had to post to say that I think that Sid Bonkers' Fishing example is brilliant and has lightened the tone.Thank you.

I agree we should all be working together on different concerns. Some aspects, such as motivating yourself to start (or to keep) looking after yourself, are common to all Types. Others are more Type specific, but it's always interesting to learn about the differences and there are often ideas other Types may adapt for their own circumstances.

I like remaining open to learning and progressing through knowledge and understanding. Hope that doesn't sound too pious!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I understand where a number of the posts are coming from as well as the OP. I dont think segrigation is the key but maybe having different colour backgrounds for different types? Red for one blue for another orange pink etc then if you want to post on whatever you can but without going searching you would know more about the poster. You should still use signitures of course but it gives an idea at least and it should work on the App? maybe limit to 4 or 5 groups? just an idea.

K

Kat100

Well, I don't want to be in a colour zone, I just want to be an individual with the freedom and choice to join in what I would like to on this site.....besides my colour might change, the type I am now may not be so later on....:/

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Engineer88 said:
I understand where a number of the posts are coming from as well as the OP. I dont think segrigation is the key but maybe having different colour backgrounds for different types? Red for one blue for another orange pink etc then if you want to post on whatever you can but without going searching you would know more about the poster. You should still use signitures of course but it gives an idea at least and it should work on the App? maybe limit to 4 or 5 groups? just an idea.

can i have a black background? nothing i ever say is worth reading anyway so that way you wont be able to see my text :thumbup:

WhitbyJet

can i have a black background? nothing i ever say is worth reading anyway so that way you wont be able to see my text :thumbup:[/quote]

I DISAGREE!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Andy12345 said:
can i have a black background? nothing i ever say is worth reading anyway so that way you wont be able to see my text :thumbup:

Ah noooo mate!! I LOVE your posts and humour!! You're a much loved member and your posts and anecdotes being blacked out would never do! :wink:

Best

Paul

WhitbyJet

sw11bloke said:
Thank you Giverny. i welcome the change.
So many times Ive posted type 1 issues and all I got was type 2 replies and no matter what anyone says, Type 1 and type 2 are VERY different in treatment and care.
The way the NHS treat type 1 and type 2 is very different. Our prescriptions are different ...... To avoid future confusion and irrelevant replies, i welcome the future changes.

I agree we can all learn alot from others and that type 1's can learn from type 2's & vice versa etc by reading these forums but when it comes to REPLIES, Id be much happier hearing from a fellow type 1 otherwise MY thread just goes on with irrelevant information which is no use to me.

Support is great I agree but lets keep a type 1 thread a type 1 thread and a type 2 thread a type 2 thread. This way theres no confusion especially to all those new diabetics who join this forum on a daily basis.

Clearly the majority do not want segregatiion, how about you specifically request for responses from those with type 1 only each time you open a thread, this way the rest of us wont trespass.
I would never want to annoy anyone or interfere, but sometimes I need to bump up a post or at least send a hug to someone so obviously in distress. I dont give advice to type 1s because I know next to nothing about insulin.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Type 1 & Type 2 and this Forum

Personally, happy to comment and get comments from all. others may well not appreciate my comments lol. There are obvious differences but so many similarities. All for one and one for all. Support and advice very welcomed and appreciated and always like to learn and gain advice all types. If any advice is irrelevant simply ignore it, but the fact someone has taken time to reply means alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.