Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
FergusCrawford said:
sw11bloke said:
A system that would quickly ID whether its a t1, t2, t1.5 and whether they on MDI or a pump.
Its got nothing to do with a 2 tier system or equality.
could become a bit messy though. I know its taking it a bit ad absurdum but how would we code a T2 who was on diet & exercise for a while who had been misdiagnosed and was actually T1.5 and coped with that, graduating to MDI and was carer to a T1on a pump. They would be eminently qualified to comment on a lot of different areas but the classification would be horrendous :lol: :lol:
On a real world example take Hanadr she is a T2 on D&E and a carer to a T1 yet today AlexMBrennan accused her of not being experienced enough to comment on a T1 forum!

Just update it. Only need to know current treatment/diagnosis really. Even if you don't actually know whether you're T1, T2, 1.5 or whatever, doesn't really matter. You can just put on insulin, pump, diet or whatever.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hornplayer

I think that quite a lot of T2s would be reluctant to shout about it. Given the attitude of the media in general, and a quite sniffy, dismissive attitude that occasionally floats in from people who really should know better.

It is true that GPs don't have to give test supplies to T2s unless they take insulin, and, yes, some T2s wouldn't bother using them even if they were prescribed. But some of us, - those of us who currently buy our own, with no complaint, do find them useful in gaining and maintaining control.

At the risk of having someone jump down my throat, I will say that quite a lot of T2s seem to lead a healthier lifestyle than many T1s do. They have to. They have no other way of controlling their BG levels. Yet we are still vilified. I think that maybe all groups have something to learn from a T2 who is successfully diet controlled. By skipping over threads based on the Type of the posters, you could be missing out on some really useful information.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Nobody has mentioned "skipping over threads according to type". The majority of people I know who use this forum just click on "new posts". It would just save time/confusion, if you knew what treatment a person was on before replying. It's not sniffy/2nd rate or anything of the sort. I agree T2's are a wealth of information, as are many others on here. We would just possibly give different advice to certain people.

sw11bloke

hornplayer... surely thats my choice if I want to skip certain posts on any topics that I may have posted.

Unbeliever

fatbird said:
Can we have a forum for diabetics who support Queens Park Rangers? :crazy:

FB
y
Yes good point. I was jjust going to comment that there is no way of telling whether anyone is being truthful about the type of diabetes they have or even if they are actually diabetic.

Some will wonder why anyone would nbother to claim to have diabetes if they din't but I am sure it must have happened....
I

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Unbeliever said:
fatbird said:
Can we have a forum for diabetics who support Queens Park Rangers? :crazy:

FB
y
Yes good point. I was jjust going to comment that there is no way of telling whether anyone is being truthful about the type of diabetes they have or even if they are actually diabetic.

Some will wonder why anyone would nbother to claim to have diabetes if they din't but I am sure it must have happened....
I

Yes you're probably right but hardly much of an issue even if they did. If someone on diet/exercise only states they were taking insulin ( for some weird reason. ), so what ?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There have been posts by people who seem to have real problems with their health and have had lots of advice and help but in the end it has been evident that they are not telling the whole truth maybe exaggerate how ill they really are perhaps to get sympathy and then they disappear off the forum
CAROL

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Better to help and advise 20 genuine people even if there is a possibility No21 may be economical with the truth or after some attention. We're getting a little off topic to be honest now though lol ! Any forum on any topic anywhere will attract a few less than honest individuals but such is life ! We must treat any person asking for help in good faith though. If they disappear off the forum, so what ?

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mo1905 said:
Nobody has mentioned "skipping over threads according to type". The majority of people I know who use this forum just click on "new posts". It would just save time/confusion, if you knew what treatment a person was on before replying. It's not sniffy/2nd rate or anything of the sort. I agree T2's are a wealth of information, as are many others on here. We would just possibly give different advice to certain people.

Thinking about this maybe in the development of the new forum the layout could include such information?
Under our avatars where we have our locations etc maybe it could say Meds with the options of Diet / Oral / Insulin then when we go to answer a post you could see at a glance what treatment the OP is using. This would negate any Type 1 / Type 2 problems as many problems are applicable to all forms so we don't need labels at times.

I started my diabetic life as a Type 2 aged 45 and got to the point where a lettuce leaf and slice of cucumber would put me up into double figures....thus referral to a Consultant, testing and re-diagnosed as Type 1 after 21 months. I therefore feel I have had experience of both forms and so will help where I can especially in those newly diagnosed type 2's who could be going the same route as I did (along with many others on this forum) and end up re-diagnosed.

Life is too short for arguments, labels, stereotypes and bitchiness.....let's all work together on this and play nicely!!

Regards
Angie

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OFF Topic sorry
Yes good point. I was jjust going to comment that there is no way of telling whether anyone is being truthful about the type of diabetes they have or even if they are actually diabetic
I'm sure that most people are genuine but there is the odd person who isn't and TBH, I don't think that you can necessarily tell, though the second link I give suggests some pointers.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... munchausen
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... port-sites
A few years ago there was a lady who kept up a false persona for 2 years on a couple of diabetes forums. She had a lot of online friends who had supported her through all sorts of crises by PM and Email. They were devastated when she was reported as having died but felt really hurt when someone did some investigation and found out it was all untrue.
(but how do you know?)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
sw11bloke said:
hornplayer... surely thats my choice if I want to skip certain posts on any topics that I may have posted.

On the subject of skipping certain posts-can all the 'Word games' and other similar non DB stuff,ie,'Picture loons' etc be filtered out so it doesn't show up when you log in and click on the 'New posts' tab as I have no interest whatsover in these yet they can appear to dominate the page and push important topics off the page-people who like these kinda things will know which particular forum they are in and can navigate there manually to reply.

Unbeliever

mo1905 said:
Better to help and advise 20 genuine people even if there is a possibility No21 may be economical with the truth or after some attention. We're getting a little off topic to be honest now though lol ! Any forum on any topic anywhere will attract a few less than honest individuals but such is life ! We must treat any person asking for help in good faith though. If they disappear off the forum, so what ?

Yes I totally agree wih this but just meant that there was litle point in making too big a thing about different types and meds etc when there was no way of checking if the information was accurate and that by reading by alleged 'type' people could be missing good info from those not fitting the criteria
Thanks for the links Phoenix Very interesting. These people don't just use health related forums. they also appear on totally unrelated forums where there is less chance of being unmasked. have known a few .

Morganator

Re: Type 1 & Type 2 and this Forum

I feel that there is already too much snobbery about diabetes, I have been slapped down by one member for basically not being a 'proper' T1.
I am classed as that as I can't produce insulin or pancreatic enzymes due to surgery and calfication. I am underweight and have an insulin allergy therefore injecting large amounts yet I sometimes feel that I am a 2nd class diabetic.
Sorry if this offends some people but it is just how I feel.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Again, it's not about snobbery. It's about giving/receiving the best, most suitable advice. For this to happen, it makes sense to be able to see a posters medication/treatment. I agree there are a few members here that do not always fully support others ( T1's AND T2's ). However, the majority are fully supportive of others !

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just read through all of this... what a can of worms!!

As a type 2, my natural reaction is to be a little offended at the suggestion of any answer I give being "irrelevant" to a type 1... and that judgement would be made purely by whatever box I'd ticked. Nevermind that in reality I grew up with, and had 15 years experience of being a carer for someone with Type 1 (who ironically passed away 3 weeks before my own T2 diagnosis). The only real experience of Type 2 that I have is the 4 months that I've been diagnosed.

Regardless of type, people give good and bad advice. I've had lots of great advice from T1's that has helped me during these first tricky few months... does that mean that I should discount it, because our diagnoses are different? Or does it mean that I should embrace the variety of experience and advice on offer in this forum because of the wide range of types, stages, and lifestyles of people in here?

If we were going to get pedantic about it, we would need about ten different tick boxes - one for T1's, T1's on pumps, Family of T1's, MODY, LADA, T2 diet controlled, T2 medication controlled, T2 insulin, Family of T2, and Other. I'm sure I've missed some, but you get the picture. Simply put, it wouldn't work.

The best thing to do when you perceive that bad or irrelevant advice has been offered, is simply to ignore it, overlook it, and read the bits that are relevant to you and your present situation. Anything else even merely hinting at segregation is only going to cause the kind of discord that it apparent in this entire thread!

sw11bloke

some people like to knit pick and scrutinise. It seems that they on these forums to do only that. I made my point clear. i stick to it. No further knit picking will change my mind.

Mo1905...dont take notice anymore because these knit pickers will keep on. Youve been really great and supportive and so have many others.
It seems all this knit picking is coming from type ...... s. :) (leave that for you to decide)

Im over this thread. Finding it boring now and wont be returning as Ive had my say and I look forward and welcome any future changes.

I will continue to skip these posts that are irrelevant to me and any other negative knit picking individuals. Thats the good thing about personal choice.

Just 1 more thing.... how can people think that there is any snobbery when it comes to type of diabetes? Surely this statement alone is laughable. Is there a certain type of diabetes that is better or easier than the other?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
sw11bloke said:
Is there a certain type of diabetes that is better or easier than the other?
Fortunately, yes, the form of diabetes that "YOU have managed to get a handle on and cope with"is better or easier than one which you haven't.
I only hope and pray that we can all get to this relationship with our D as soon and as painlessly as possible.
MERRY CHRISTMAS WHEN IT COMES to ONE & ALL :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.