Typeunknown

So after years of not knowing what type of diabetes I have my consultant expects I have a form or type 1 (my original diagnosis at 15) they've ordered cpeptide which I'm waiting for the results still but I'm being placed on basal bolus insulin on Monday as my sugars won't budge from the 20s.

I'm really almost relieved but at the same time deflated as I've managed without insulin for the past 3 years after being on insulin for 3 years before that and now I'm back where I started. Has anyone else had a similar type 1 diagnosis where you didn't need insulin for a few years then your pancreas almost gave up suddenly? Also any tips for getting back into the insulin are very much appreciated!
Thanks

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Google "Honeymoon Phase diabetes" - it is something that some diabetics experience. Moreso T1's but I have heard of instances with all types.

Reactions: Typeunknown

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Typeunknown

You have to be guided by your meter and if your levels aren't budging from the 20's then getting the right insulin dose is vital, so your team will help you gain better control, whether you take insulin or you don't, it shouldn't really matter, the most important aspect is getting your blood glucose levels into range. It does sound like your honeymoon is now officially over, they can last a month to a few years, so don't feel dis-heartened that you are taking insulin again as getting levels back into range will help you feel better mentally and physically.