Type 1'stars R Us

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke up with 3.0 at 5 am, it's a long story and I won't bore you with it, but I think I know why, so I'm currently trying to stop the correction to the correction getting out of control. Love this game.

Apart from that hoping for a bit of sun today, as I want to end up with sufficient vitamin d over the next couple of months to get through Winter/early Spring.

I have an extremely dodgy theory that my blood sugar, and time in range, started to get less predictable as my vitamin d levels fell, during the Winter, and so by March/April not much left. Extremely dodgy theory, and don't spend any time believing it. I'm just intending to experiment on myself, to see what happens.

There were other things around March/April that could have had an effect, so very doubtful theory.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning, all quiet on this western front, nothing of note to report....have a good day whatever you're doing, and @Diakat I steered well clear of your debate because, as a complete non-techie, I have absolutely nothing to contribute, except to say good luck with it!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all.
Dont know what it all means BUT I will take the top line all day long. Would have loved to have seen what this would have been like 10 years ago

Screenshot_20190808-090708_xDrip%2B.jpeg

Reactions: Diakat

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all
Lovely Welsh sun
Back home today after 3days of partying, castles and none existent red squirrels. Next stop Oxford then Riga next week
Haven't had time to catch up on all the posts so hope you're all well Have a great day

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Good morning everyone. Fell over a curb in the dark last night and scaped my arm. Kept waking up thinking I was wearing Libres up and down my arm. I'm at the DAFNE course. A little anxious. Nothing out of the ordinary. Have a good day everyone.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke up with 3.0 at 5 am, it's a long story and I won't bore you with it, but I think I know why, so I'm currently trying to stop the correction to the correction getting out of control. Love this game.
It is like a computer game sometimes, a pretty boring one.
Only wish we would get bonuses and upgrades like new limbs, eyes and kidneys, and a couple of extra lives!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s for work thing so I’m going to have to ask IT before I download, otherwise I would have had a go yesterday! Oh how sad it is to feel the weight of responsibility and not want to beak the work systems. I was just wondering if anyone would say something I could paraphrase in my request to them “apparently it’s well known that modern mainframes support pen source...” thus making me sound less like the idiot who had a brainwave on the train but actually knows nothing about how it might work beyond “it might work”.

Hi,

I would go with @WuTwo 's approach with the "IT crowd."

I just found this artical which sounds encouraging to me... Don't look like you will need all that partitioned hard drive duel booting stuff..Though I could be wrong.

Link here. (Which may help.) https://www.howtogeek.com/170870/5-ways-to-run-linux-software-on-windows/

Reactions: WuTwo

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
Diabetes is hanging between 8.2-9mmol/l and I don't know what I make of my uni assignments, my perfectionism is really pulling my hair. (I have redrafted my essays 5-6 times) I just want these essays submitted, :(

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi,

I would go with @WuTwo 's approach with the "IT crowd."

I just found this artical which sounds encouraging to me... Don't look like you will need all that partitioned hard drive duel booting stuff..Though I could be wrong.

Link here. (Which may help.) https://www.howtogeek.com/170870/5-ways-to-run-linux-software-on-windows/
Thanks! I have sent all the technical info over to our IT people with links to the software and download instructions so they can tell me if they think I am onto a winner or potentially causing chaos. I can send them that link if they just look confused.

Reactions: Jaylee and WuTwo

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone have any issues getting Fiasp? My pharmacy couldn't order it and they couldn't order libre sensors last time.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, I'll give you a heads up - this is going to be a long one. I think it has a point but feel free to skip.

I usually read fiction because I like to disappear into another world (not necessarily a fantasy world). But I am currently reading "Invisible Women". It is not fiction. It is about how women are not always considered. I believe everyone should be treated equally but this book is showing me that is not always possible.
For example, in the US, the academic policy is you have a certain period of time (about 10 years) after completing your PhD to get a research grant or something. Given the age most people get a PhD, this time period is about the age most women are considering having children. They realised this but didn't want to come across as unfairly beneficial to women. So they decided to add one year for every child you have ... for men and women. Because men are involved with childcare. However, what happens during that year is women are busy suffering from morning sickness and breast feeding whilst men gain an extra year to write more papers.
And women's bodies are different so some of what applies to men doesn't necessarily apply to women.
For example, the safety standards for toxins that may be absorbed through the skin are based on the impact for a man. Women, on average, have thinner skin and more fat, The fat makes it easier to absorb toxins. And the type of toxins being considered are in cleaning products and cosmetics that are used in nail bars ... where more women work.

There are more examples around design, health and safety, transport, and more but I won't bore you by going on about it (for now).

This book and some recent discussions on the forum have been making me think more about diabetes management and gender differences. There was a thread (and news article) recent which suggested low carb diet does not work as well to reduce BG and lose weight for women. One of the theories is around our reproductive gubbings.
And Dr Bernstein has some thoughts around this - he suggests women should go on the pill to avoid the complications menstruation has on our bodies. In other words, artificially get rid of the difference.
Then there are psychological differences - females are more likely to suffer from diabulimia; personally, I resent the sight of my pump whereas most men seem happy to just chuck their's in their pocket and not worry about the bulge (just another one with their wallet, phone and swiss army knife); monthly we have to change our basal doses; ...

This book (which I am only 30% of the way through) is certainly making me question what is meant by gender equality.
@helensaramay I've done some work in the past on gender inequality. I can't begin to tell you the number of ways in which it operates and how often its effects and impact are either hidden or simply ignored. It happens through ignorance, political expedience, financial advantage, etc etc and I could go on but I'm getting off my soap box right now

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone have any issues getting Fiasp? My pharmacy couldn't order it and they couldn't order libre sensors last time.

No, got my refill done end of last week. Put script into chemist, got my text message 3 days later to say all in. Plus I bought 2 Libres off the shelf. And I live in a rural area on the outskirts of Leeds.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
My pharmacy like to get Fiasp as and when requested because of its use-by date, so they don't keep it in stock. They also have a limited number of Libres they can buy not on prescription, so when they've sold out, you have to wait until next month's order. I ask them to put them aside when they arrive.

Reactions: becca59

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I survived the first introduction to DAFNE meet of only seven participants. Some people have had T1 for 28 years. Here I assumed they'd all be new to this insulin malarky. I wonder if there is anything new to learn after such a long time on insulin. Perhaps they should be teaching the course. Some were taking insulins I'd never heard of, in quantities that and ratios that were widely different. They all seemed thoroughly nice. All keen to learn how to exercise on fast-acting insulin. I still wonder if that's even possible.
I spoke to a lady who had had diabetes since she was 14. She refused to take insulin for the first two years. This story sounded vaguely familiar. But then again she was just 14 at the time.
I have a blood test request for my GP. I had to admit I was LCHF. But this is a 'how to eat normally' course. Maybe that's how I got my place.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Glad it was an interesting day @ert - how many sessions do you get?

Early dinner on account of very loud rumbly tum! Now I am absolutely stuffed to the gills. No room for dessert! And I made a new snacky mixture for munching while watching telly but I know now I won't have any room. Wah!