Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
A&E staff have had to extract more interesting things than sticks from the fumier.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks. I'm just having trouble accepting I'm not going back into the pre-insulin clothes. I'm looking and feeling healthier. Going forwards, not backwards.
I’ve just given my lovely (thin) friend about half my wardrobe. I won’t get back into my size 8-10 (clothes, not shoes) anything unless I get dangerously ill with DKA again.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I’ve just given my lovely (thin) friend about half my wardrobe. I won’t get back into my size 8-10 (clothes, not shoes) anything unless I get dangerously ill with DKA again.
That's what I had - a wardrobe of 8's and some 10's. The 8's have all gone. The 10's well. They're next. Baby steps. :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, very late on parade, had a day of serious errand-runningwhich kicked off with dentist visiting first thing (not a problem, have chewed my way through my old night guard and he needed to take an impression for a new one). Then running around to plumbers and such because of the bathroom work starting next week, food shopping, shopping for new towels for the bathroom which'll be a completely different colour from before. Finally landed home to a very late lunch and at 14.3! Stressful morning and chocolate over-correction methinks. Am currently at 8 and holding; think I'll stay there as I don't want to add to the pile of blouses we're creating today and I should be getting some exercise in about an hour or so.

@ert I took part in a pilot course this year run by a research team based at Musgrove Park hospital here in Somerset. The results are out in November but I learnt some amazing stuff from that. There are so many people who exercise - and play pro sport - with T1 that it most definitely can be done. Someone posted the film of a rugby player on here the other day which was worth a watch, and I think either @Scott-C or @helensaramay know of the guy who has a blog and goes running. Considering the fun and games of ups and downs lots of us have been having today whilst not exercising, how much worse could exercise make it :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hello everyone
Such a busy day. The physio was brilliant and said I had great movement in both shoulders. Gave me some coloured rubbers for exercise.
On top of the world! I bought some onglet from the butchers' across the road and also replaced my phone, very old. The problem now is it won't accept my email& password for this site. Anyone whizzy has any ideas?
BG front is also making me happy 6.2 at lunch. Feel as though I'm back in the "semi-normal" land
Smiling at you all

Reactions: Juicyj

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay I did have a couple of patches of seriously poor playing (in my opinion - no-one else noticed!) of both piano and organ in the run-up to both the T2 diagnosis and the LADA diagnosis, but that was more down to high blood sugars affecting my ability to read music! I've always been a poor memoriser of music, (but I am a very good sight-reader), so I didn't have that to fall back on even though you'd think I'd have the music I play almost every Sunday, and have done for the last seven years, off pat now, I still need the music in front of me. In fact, one of the reasons I hate running high on a Sunday morning is the fact the music is likely to be blurry.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find all this talk of clothing sizes interesting. When diagnosed I’d lost a shed load of weight and looked horrific. Had to buy clothes just so I had something to wear to work. I did drop weight in each of my 5 pregnancies-lots! due to severe hyperemesis. But I quickly put it back on with extra. After starting on insulin I put some weight back on, but not the nearly 1 stone I lost. 5 years on I am still in the size 10/12 I started wearing after diagnosis. I eat sensibly, excercise regularly and don’t worry if I have a carb blow out at weekends. However, since retirement we basically eat 2 meals a day most of the time, breakfast and a meal at 3ish. During the week my carb intake is around 100, at the weekend doubled. Oh and I do drink. Probably more than I should but hey I’m 60 this year and didn’t drink when young because quite frankly we didn’t have the money. No going out on the so called lash on a Friday night, every single penny we earned went into a deposit for a house. I’m rambling but have had that glass of red

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I range up and down within two dress sizes, and have clothes in both. I very seldom buy anything new unless the old one has got totally beyond even being worn in the house. At the moment I'm on a promise to myself to only buy from charity shops until it's cold weather, but I don't think I'll need any more warm clothes this year. I'll need undies but that should be all.

It makes life much easier!

Reactions: hh1

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's unfortunately today and two essays both 2500 words each. It's also unfortunate that it is my last and very last chance to hand something in. University has been extremely generous because they are only asking 2 assignments rather than 8 modules that I was suppose to do.
You’ll be ok. I remember when I did my dissertation and my printer decided to stop working at the last minute so I had to take the disk (yes I am that old!!!) to uni to use their printer and just made the dead line.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Afternoon guys, I had a good day at work and home now with a cuppa. Had a cup of tea, now a shower and then I will do the online report for today's event. Had a few hypo's though, but all sorted now,......fingers crossed :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast . Hope the hypos haven’t been to draining. Cup of tea and a shower should put the world to right though..
I’d actually willingly take a few of your hypos. Put a new vial of Novorapid in the pen yesterday morning. It became apparent very soon that something wasn’t quite right. 15+ for no reason other than the insulin was resembling something more akin to glucose :banghead:. Took most of yesterday with correction doses to figure out how to us this vial. ( don’t like throwing it away ). Anyway I think I’ve just about figured out a new set of ratios for this current vial. Hypo land here we come:):):).

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I find all this talk of clothing sizes interesting. When diagnosed I’d lost a shed load of weight and looked horrific. Had to buy clothes just so I had something to wear to work. I did drop weight in each of my 5 pregnancies-lots! due to severe hyperemesis. But I quickly put it back on with extra. After starting on insulin I put some weight back on, but not the nearly 1 stone I lost. 5 years on I am still in the size 10/12 I started wearing after diagnosis. I eat sensibly, excercise regularly and don’t worry if I have a carb blow out at weekends. However, since retirement we basically eat 2 meals a day most of the time, breakfast and a meal at 3ish. During the week my carb intake is around 100, at the weekend doubled. Oh and I do drink. Probably more than I should but hey I’m 60 this year and didn’t drink when young because quite frankly we didn’t have the money. No going out on the so called lash on a Friday night, every single penny we earned went into a deposit for a house. I’m rambling but have had that glass of red
I agree @becca59 , lost shed loads but I've put it nearly all back on. Have to say though I've impressed myself by losing 1k this week, must have been the squirrel chasing. I was in more or less the same position when younger and saved rather than slurping. Now I indulge, yep probably too much but hey, something's going get us

Reactions: becca59

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok @MeiChanski just did a quick wikipedia read of Bourdieu, and seeing as he wasn't a big fan of globalisation, or neo-liberalism, I think you could just argue he had no influence whatsoever.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You’ll be ok. I remember when I did my dissertation and my printer decided to stop working at the last minute so I had to take the disk (yes I am that old!!!) to uni to use their printer and just made the dead line.

Is this the moment I admit mine was typed on a portable typewriter by yours truly and the only possible panic was the typewriter ribbon running out? (And, I earned some money the next couple of years by typing up friends' dissertations.) Only the Computer Science people used computers for such things. Or maybe the Maths people did as well.