Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ed Gamble the t1 comedian has written a brilliant and funny synopsis of t1 life in iweekend today, have attached a clip for you all to read and take inspiration from..

Attachments

• 310BBA5F-AC67-4FF1-BE1E-A896B97C566F.jpeg
    310BBA5F-AC67-4FF1-BE1E-A896B97C566F.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 187

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The tweet I referred to relates toEdinburgh and Lothians, so sounds like the actual data is looking good.

I don't think in mmol/mol for HbA1cs, but doing a few conversion mine is going to be a useful addition to the data, when I next go visit them at the hospital.

Hi, Alison, I'm in Edinburgh. They've certainly been leading the way in this. When I went to the libre education course a few months back, I asked the consultant why they were taking such a liberal approach to prescribing it when so many areas were saying there wasn't enough "statistically significant" evidence. He said there was a bit of arguing about the cost but, at the end of the day, they knew how difficult T1 is to manage, they as doctors would want it if they were T1 so they couldn't in good faith deny it to us. A refreshingly honest, liberal, forward looking approach.

I don't facebook, but have an occasional look at the group Type 1 Diabetes in Scotland. Don't know how they get the figures, presumably through FOI, they post prescription numbers. Latest is only till April, presumably because of the way records are kept, so there'll be a big scoot up in a few months time now that Glasgow is prescribing, but this pic below says it all. Forth Valley was first, then Lothian - love the way Lothian jumps from 45 in February to 3721 in March!

Screenshot_2018-07-11-22-58-51.png

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ed Gamble the t1 comedian has written a brilliant and funny synopsis of t1 life in iweekend today, have attached a clip for you all to read and take inspiration from..

Quality! :D

It's the misconceptions about pumps from the general public that get me... Normally during a lunch break at work from a collegue, whilst I've tested/calculated logged the result & just getting the cap off my pen for a needle prime.. "There's a thing now that does all that stuff for you automatically..."
"Ah, my butler." I reply, "I've given him the day off."

Drum roll...cymbal crash.! :banghead:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Alison, I'm in Edinburgh. They've certainly been leading the way in this. When I went to the libre education course a few months back, I asked the consultant why they were taking such a liberal approach to prescribing it when so many areas were saying there wasn't enough "statistically significant" evidence. He said there was a bit of arguing about the cost but, at the end of the day, they knew how difficult T1 is to manage, they as doctors would want it if they were T1 so they couldn't in good faith deny it to us. A refreshingly honest, liberal, forward looking approach.

I don't facebook, but have an occasional look at the group Type 1 Diabetes in Scotland. Don't know how they get the figures, presumably through FOI, they post prescription numbers. Latest is only till April, presumably because of the way records are kept, so there'll be a big scoot up in a few months time now that Glasgow is prescribing, but this pic below says it all. Forth Valley was first, then Lothian - love the way Lothian jumps from 45 in February to 3721 in March!

View attachment 27577

I wonder if that March figure is correct, as it seems to fall in April. I started using it in March. I remember getting a letter in about January, saying they were offering it, and being a bit suspicious, I was fully expecting to go to one of their education sessions and be told I couldn't have it.

Then I had a hospital appointment and they told me everyone who went would get one, so I did. I remember they had lots of the education sessions during March, and some of them were big events. So it is possible, it got that high in March.

It's really good that they were willing to jump in and do it. If their data looks good, which I'm sure it will, then it makes it very hard forother areas to keep refusing.

I'm really proud of them for doing it, I will never complain about anything again, or I might, but not for a while.

The 800 figure in the tweet probably refers to patients who have had pre freestyle libre, and post freestyle libre HbA1cs. Some of them will probably not have used it for long.

When I next go my data will be for almost the whole period since the last visit. I'm expecting a very nice drop.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning, a mild hypo of 3,8 on waking but I was at 6 an hour back... Anyway a quick ground coffee then onto my 'oat bran' @ 9g carbs/100g less than normal porridge so I'll see what happens when I eat it :)

The young uns banished to her bedroom as she's practicing singing a song for her junior school leaving assembly and the "woah woah woah" bit's wearing on a hypo headache...
Um, time for ear pugs or listening to music with ear buds ?

Reactions: Cumberland

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Quality! :D

It's the misconceptions about pumps from the general public that get me... Normally during a lunch break at work from a collegue, whilst I've tested/calculated logged the result & just getting the cap off my pen for a needle prime.. "There's a thing now that does all that stuff for you automatically..."
"Ah, my butler." I reply, "I've given him the day off."

Drum roll...cymbal crash.! :banghead:
Or, I had to sack my butler because he was always found guilty in 'crime' weekend shows.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I wonder if that March figure is correct, as it seems to fall in April. I started using it in March. I remember getting a letter in about January, saying they were offering it, and being a bit suspicious, I was fully expecting to go to one of their education sessions and be told I couldn't have it.

Then I had a hospital appointment and they told me everyone who went would get one, so I did. I remember they had lots of the education sessions during March, and some of them were big events. So it is possible, it got that high in March.

It's really good that they were willing to jump in and do it. If their data looks good, which I'm sure it will, then it makes it very hard forother areas to keep refusing.

I'm really proud of them for doing it, I will never complain about anything again, or I might, but not for a while.

The 800 figure in the tweet probably refers to patients who have had pre freestyle libre, and post freestyle libre HbA1cs. Some of them will probably not have used it for long.

When I next go my data will be for almost the whole period since the last visit. I'm expecting a very nice drop.
Good on the Scotts !! Meanwhile in Down Under land, Libres are only just appearing. No health rebates though !!

K

Knikki

:rolleyes: BS all over the place again, my Etch A Sketch looks like it is fine design for a Rolla Coaster.

Oh well Wine and something fishy for tea, then off around the Universe as I skilfully blow myself up with rocket launchers or go running around the WWI battle fields, dynamite is great fun. I'm also a gamer just in case you were wondering :D

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
:rolleyes: BS all over the place again, my Etch A Sketch looks like it is fine design for a Rolla Coaster.

Oh well Wine and something fishy for tea, then off around the Universe as I skilfully blow myself up with rocket launchers or go running around the WWI battle fields, dynamite is great fun. I'm also a gamer just in case you were wondering :D

I’m still gaming on Tetris

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should join in with her, should be quite a song, me thinks ;)
She's sung a couple of Oasis tracks to my mate and me playing guitar, she does 'Bad moon rising' quite well too :p

My scientific porridge experiment went a little awry today, oat bran tested but doesn't require as long pre bolus to the other oats and doesn't spike as much either which cost me a little hypo but anyway I'll eat the rest of it to check for consistency of bloods before trying the jumbo oats.

I'm sat watching the little un slurp a sweet and sour take away whilst my mousaka cooks in the oven, 2 for 6 quid and 56g carbs for the pair so I've a mark down ham hock gratin to up the carbs to 90 and I've steamed some broccoli, shallots and sugar snap peas to go with it and it looks an absolute plateful, but we went swimming so I've 'earned' it :p

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening all! Been building chests of drawers most of the day, finally finished all ten units. Just got to do tops and plinths tomorrow, and then I’ll have no excuse not to put my floordrobe away...

Sugars been ok today, I guess. I’ve been playing with all the data I’ve been collecting, and trying to work out how best to show this resistance in a graphic form. I can’t find much correlation with early morning temperatures, but the total daily doses of insulin show a distinct peak.

5E0A26B9-B485-4F39-9292-4219937C3881.jpeg

I’ve also worked out how much Novorapid I’ve been taking compared to carb intake to get each day’s ratio, and that graph is quite telling too: the blue arrows show days where I had less than 10g carbs, which seems to have skewed the ratios significantly. So I’m ignoring them. This was last month’s data, this month is developing the same pattern.

668E77C2-F042-482D-BE92-EF10CB915407.jpeg

Think I’ll bore off to bed now... but I don’t think I’m imagining that there is a monthly problem here!

Reactions: porl69 and kev-w