1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Was at DAFNE day one today and I'm feeling disheartened already. I was given a carb ratio of 0.5: 20 grams which doesn't fit what I've been eating. They didn't listen to what I'm been doing. So my egg-cheese salad, they calculated I needed 0.5 units of fast-acting, for 20 grams of carbs they calculated from only fast-acting carbs, and my calculation was 6 units from 65 grams of carbs, including all carbs, and half for protein. What's a girl to do? I'm supposed to bring my diary tomorrow. The real diary looks like lunch [3.5 + 2.5 Fiasp] for 6.5 CP's and dinner [2 + 1.5 Fiasp] 3.5 CP's. So I ignored their suggestion because I knew it would send me sky-high, which they said shouldn't be something to worry about, but it's not for me. Am I taking someone's, who is more worthy than me, place on this course? At least I know what a CP is and how to calculate it now.
    I'm thinking of just giving them the numbers they want to see.
    I don't get why I'm not fitting into their mould. I'm not insulin resistant. I am really sensitive to carbs and am having a high protein meal. I need to do some research.

• Hug Hug x 6
    #21861 ert, Aug 19, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@hh1 . An absolute winner.
    Usually a “ Top Banana “ award is only for fellow type 1’s........BUT......... what the heck. No reason why a puppy can’t be awarded a “ Top Banana , “ especially if it has found its way into the heart of our little diabetic community.:):):)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Agree! You have an official top banana puppy, and may she live a long, happy and healthy life without diabetes or other ailments :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #21863 Antje77, Aug 19, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ha! I decided to wait and am below 6 again. Beer is finished too, so time to eat my very yummy dinner :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Years ago, I found this to be very helpful. It's a free sign up and you can list everyone's birthday, anniversary etc and it will send you reminders via e-mail. One of the other things that's nice is it has a message paste that you send to your friends asking them to enter their birthdays. But you don't have to pay anything to use it, because of course they hope you do eventually sign up!

No junk mail etc from it. You have the option of signing up for a paid membership if you want use their cards.

https://birthdayalarm.com/

6. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Give them the real figures. They will see your carb ratio is wrong and correct it for you. Dont give them false figures as it wont do any good at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is Narla. A blue merle with lush blue eyes. Had to post a pic 20190819_215332.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have to agree with @porl69 even if you know the figures are wrong, by going by what they have suggested this will highlight that the ratio is incorrect and will be adjusted

When I went on my DAFNE course, they initially told me to do 1:10 for all meals. I was normally 1:4 for breakfast and 1:5 for other meals. After a few days of highs on the 1:10 this was adjusted down to 1:6 on last day I went back for a follow up session for an hour a week later showed them my diary and this also proved that 1:6 was wrong most of time. I explained that I had went back to origial ratios after a few days on 1:6 and my figures were better, which they agreed

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Gorgeous. What a blue-eyed babe. Great name.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@hh1 What a cute pup! Awwwww!!!!!
    @porl69 She's gorgeous!!!!!
    @Fairygodmother A happy and contented dog!
    @Mel dCP What a cute batch of cats!

All the dogs and cats and the squirrel pictures has put a happy face on me for the day!!!!
    Mine are sleeping on the couch which they have taken over.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning friends, a bit of an extremely early morning. I crashed a few hours after the interview so I slept like a baby. To my horror my diabetes was sky high, I have no idea why - 15.7 so I’m waiting for it to come down. I think the lady days are coming.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I feel like we are one big family with all the cattos and dogos, oh I love them all and including our new friend the fluffy squirrel :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, up on a 7, somebody was rather loud at times duing the night. Thanks all for comments about herself; @the rower she thinks she desrves a Top Banana too (I'm not sure ;)). @porl69 is Narla yours? And I agree, great name, where does it come from? Pics worth waiting for @Fairygodmother :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone off to see the consultant today 1 step closer for my pump i hope .have a good day everyone

• Optimistic Optimistic x 7
    • Like Like x 6
  15. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@ert I would say do not get too hung up on what they are asking you to do. Play along and prove that you are correct. Or just revert back to your own management at weeks end. (I always smile politely, engage, nod my head, but ultimately do exactly as I like. Mantra-it is my diabetes!) Just because people suggest things doesn’t mean you have to do them. DAFNE is the gateway to lots of other things in the diabetes world.
    Once done, it is proof on your records that you have completed an
    educational course.
    At the moment you are still honeymooning, this may last for years or come to an abrupt halt in a few weeks. Your management will change yet again. Anything you can learn will help with that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sadly I ripped down the squirrel’s route to the window feeder, an abundant Virginia creeper, when a lovely, intelligent, fearless young rat turned up there. It was a beautiful creature but I didn’t want it and its family climbing in through the bedroom window. They say we’re always a few feet away from a rat, more of them than us, but I didn’t want it that close. Am I prejudiced? They can chew through pipes and cables - powerless in floodland.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  18. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

An unusual extended LO last night. A bit disconcerting as I usually wake when low. Dealt with now. Maybe it was all the excitement of finally posting a pic and the emotional overload of everyone’s gorgeous dogs and cats.
    Hope you get good news today on the job front @MeiChanski.
    And about your pump Karen.
    Have a good one everyone.

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Good luck Karen and fingers crossed X

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Good morning all, Pebbles cat is cuddling up to me, daughter has 1 /2 day at work, as she is going to a concert tonight and beautiful blue skies too.
    Happy Tuesday to you :)

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook