Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Aawww, sending a get well ((((hug))))) @Fairygodmother.
What about scramble eggs with a touch of paprika in it. You could also add herbs to the other foods. Hopefully it wont be for too long and then you can gradually start to eat other foods x

It’ll be for the next few weeks I think. Like @MeiChanski’s father, I’m getting implants. Can’t bear the idea of what might happen to a failed bridge, or false teeth, in a hypo, and really don’t want the glass by the bed.
I discovered some delicious soft almond flavoured pastries, 10g carb each, when out to watch a live screening last night. It was very hard not to eat the whole packet at once - implants are using hard-earned savings so new clothes for an almond pastry waistline wouldn’t help the bank balance

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you everyone for lovely food ideas - just about to warm up carrot, ginger and butternut squash soup (courtesy of a well-known emporium) for lunch.

Reactions: Antje77

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’ll be for the next few weeks I think. Like @MeiChanski’s father, I’m getting implants. Can’t bear the idea of what might happen to a failed bridge, or false teeth, in a hypo, and really don’t want the glass by the bed.
I discovered some delicious soft almond flavoured pastries, 10g carb each, when out to watch a live screening last night. It was very hard not to eat the whole packet at once - implants are using hard-earned savings so new clothes for an almond pastry waistline wouldn’t help the bank balance

Sending you hugs! You are going to have that million dollar smile ;) My dad was so relieved that he could eat once everything was fitted and healed. I think he went overboard and binged on crunchy and chewy foods. I hope you have planned everything for food, we don’t want you missing out on calories and good nutrition. A fluffy spongecake as well :)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My five meetings became 7 meetings.
They are all complete and minutes written so let the weekend start!

(I bet @karen8967 has just the meme I need!)
Just for you helensaramay
FB_IMG_1569250543738.jpg

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
ooh, I'm getting implants too, it's been a process since last spring though. I decided to get one upper side done, 3 teeth as I had a bridge that went and both teeth ended up bad, and I was already missing a tooth behind them. ( lesson for me not to get bridges) I got an infection because a very small sliver of tooth was hiding left over from one of those teeth that had broke and he pulled so it delayed the whole process. Within 2 weeks I finally will get the caps on for 2 of the teeth! The 3rd still has a little wait for more bone generating.

I only ever had eating restrictions for a day as long as I only chew on the one side. I don't have to worry about what I chew on that side because the whole upper side of the back 3 teeth aren't there, so nothing to chew on!

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hoping your bg will go up by itself at 3.9 because the cat's in your lap and you don't want to disturb it doesn't work. Very happy I don't have a diabetes appointment coming up shortly, as not sure how to explain this one.

I also need recipes with bell peppers, or I need to buy more guinea pigs, as this wasn't my first hypo today.

From another thread:
("I was told that the brain needs 2.8 mmol/l to function properly." (Quote from @helensaramay from another thread )
My brain disagrees. I don't count my brain as functioning properly when I buy 1.5 kgs of bell peppers because they were cheap when still having 6 bell peppers at home and knowing it. Got some other interesting items as well, and I was only 3.7.
Guinea pigs and rabbits will be properly spoilt this week.)

Will call the guinea pig rescue tomorrow to ask if they have any outdoor guinea pigs looking for a home, as it's too late in the year to put guinea pigs used to central heating in an outdoor pen.
I sadly lost most of my guinea pigs to foster dog this year, as my pen was perfectly fine for keeping out my chihuahua like monsters, but not 28 kilo's of foster dog with a hunting instinct.
Thankfully foster dog has found a forever home :)

I'll do some more thinking on the way I'll word my request. Telling them I want guinea pigs because I bought too much bell peppers because I have diabetes may sound a little weird.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well work was busy and a lot better than yesterday. A few more newbies showed up, I guess I can blend in with the 18 year olds. I had someone more experienced that stood by me, she was very nice but I didn’t get her name. I texted my mum tonight as well, I told her my feet is quite painful because we were not allowed to sit down. She said “if it’s really bad, you can sneak off to the toilet and have a seat there” Reminded me of a meme that said something like work still pays you if you sitting on the toilet. I did hypo at work, I was sweating out my calories. Half a packet of dextrose tablets and trying to talk to customers with tabs in my mouth (I wasn’t being rude, they happened to show up when I was stuffing my face with powdery tabs), it rose back to 7.5.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought a cheeky takeaway too to bring back my bf and I’s friday night takeaway tradition. The chef cooked stir fry black sesame noodles, which was interesting. The spicy prawn crackers is the only thing we couldn’t stop eating, once you start, there is no going back.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Morning! Anyone else thinking of building an ark? Cannot believe how polar opposite this Saturday is to last.
Sugars behaving, back isn’t. Going to do absolutely nothing today.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
Will we need an ark today? There's certainly been a huge change in the weather.
BG OK 6.3 this morning but I did eat 4 pastilles before I went to bed..... just in case. Going to try sleeping without tonight.
Sun's just come out!! Joy

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Going out for dinner (very nice little Italian restaurant) with aunt and best friend.
Diabetes has been acting up for the past 5 days so wish me luck!

At least tonight I'll have a reason for ridiculous bg's :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends, sorry for the late report. I was incredibly exhausted and I enjoyed my overtime sleep, hehehe. But I did get up this morning to test and take basal - 4.8 this morning, but then crawled back into bed. Diabetes stayed stable and now at 4.4. :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw someone advertising a pump friendly top, apparently normal clothes ruin the tubes etc. I'm like "is that not just a crop top with pockets? I have loads of cute crop tops that I wouldn't wear because my lovely stomach will pop out". :D

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@therower i’m trying to workout which bit of that you find informative - that pump tops are not needed (are you a crop top kinda guy?) or that pump friendly dresses should be a thing (is that your experience too?) or the advantage of wide leg pleated troos.

I could add that codswallop is derived from the same source as codpiece ... if you get what I mean.
Maybe @therower likes to understand how the other side deal with things?
Codswallop also informative but sounds very painful

Reactions: Kim Possible

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay . As a guy on MDI I had never really given much thought for pump tubing and attire.
I feel that the information you gave made me realise that if, a big if, I should decide to go for gender re assignment and opt for a pump as well , then I wouldn’t have to worry too much about my clothing.

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was at work today, my other job and worked with J, a lovely lad and we get so well together, so that made the event even better. no work tomorrow, which will be nice and cooking a roast dinner for my daughter, her boyfriend and myself, plus some for Pebbles :cat: <3
Tired out today, just had some pizza for dinner, then a bit of BGT Champions on TV :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Going out for dinner (very nice little Italian restaurant) with aunt and best friend.
Diabetes has been acting up for the past 5 days so wish me luck!

At least tonight I'll have a reason for ridiculous bg's :)
I give up. Diabetes is playing games with me. For days it wanted more insulin and kept going higher than usual while I did all the sensible things and choosing easy to manage meals.

My lovely dinner today consisted of:
olives and white bread
cockles in broth and razor clams in creamy garlic sauce
a bit over half of a very thin pizza
some black spaghetti with cuttlefish
some T-bone steak

Dinner started 4 hours ago and I've stayed below 7. Had some extra insulin just now as it has started to rise (correction, split bolus, whatever you want to call it). You won't hear me complain about nice bg's of course, but it would be nice if diabetes made a bit more sense.

And my aunt brought me my 8 French Libre sensors! That's 184 euro saved, thank you, France!

Will call the guinea pig rescue tomorrow to ask if they have any outdoor guinea pigs looking for a home, as it's too late in the year to put guinea pigs used to central heating in an outdoor pen.
The only downside today is that there are no outdoors guinea pigs available, so new guinea pigs will have to wait until spring.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I give up. Diabetes is playing games with me. For days it wanted more insulin and kept going higher than usual while I did all the sensible things and choosing easy to manage meals.

Hi Antje, I feel your pain and frustration, that is what has been happening tome, no matter what I do it's been like a huge roller coaster ride and tbh, I want a divorce from diabetes.