Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
And a big get better soon for your mouth @Fairygodmother nothing worse than a sore mouth with stitches. Food suggestion stewed apple with cinnamon and some lovely custard. Comfort food!

Ah, yes, picked the apples but hadn’t thought of the cinnamon - custard’s a must! Anyone feeling hungry now?

Reactions: Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I’ve had a bit of surgery in the mouth, nothing drastic, all voluntary. However, there are stitches in gums and so soft food, sadly no spices, is the order of the day. So far, soft wholemeal roll and soft cheese, yogurt, mashed potato carrot and swede, bovril to drink. Any good ideas to provide variety? I’m feeling like a proper old fashioned grandma with her bowl of pap. Ugh!
@Fairygodmother my go to food is soup. Make it yourself and wizz it so it's smooth or buy it in. Big hugs

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have co-amoxiclav, mouthwash, instructions to rinse out with salt water, and I’ve chewed up a few rosemary leaves with the unaffected side. Painkillers, just paracetamol, and very few needed.
I suppose the fear arises from knowing that bacteria are evolving and are finding ways to avoid destruction - it’s a war between species.

I think salty warm water is a good one, saved me a few times when I had periodontal disease. You shouldn’t worry too much if you are keeping it clean after every meal.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was suffering gum issues, my favourite was soup with a dollop of rice in it - kind of like congee and that was very comforting. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning Y'all

Disposing of the Libre waste.....I dismantle the insertion thingymajig and pull the needle out and that goes in the sharps box and the rest in recycling bin. I do the same with the Mio infusion set....

I do the same with my Libre waste.

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I’ve had a bit of surgery in the mouth, nothing drastic, all voluntary. However, there are stitches in gums and so soft food, sadly no spices, is the order of the day. So far, soft wholemeal roll and soft cheese, yogurt, mashed potato carrot and swede, bovril to drink. Any good ideas to provide variety? I’m feeling like a proper old fashioned grandma with her bowl of pap. Ugh!

Aawww, sending a get well ((((hug))))) @Fairygodmother.
What about scramble eggs with a touch of paprika in it. You could also add herbs to the other foods. Hopefully it wont be for too long and then you can gradually start to eat other foods x

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @SueJB - I did write that in a bit of a rush and wasn’t very clear, so I’ll expand on it now I’ve got a bit of time.

Freestyle Libre is a flash glucose monitor, which means that in order to find out what your levels are, you need to “flash” it with your phone or the proprietary scanner. The sensor itself holds the last eight hours worth of numbers, so you need to scan at least that often to get all your data. It’s a passive system, so doesn’t alert you to out of range numbers at the moment.

Constant glucose monitoring (CGM) is where you have a different type of sensor, eg Dexcom, which transmits a bg level every five minutes to an app on your phone or a proprietary receiver. These have alarms, so if you go out of range, you get alerted audibly. You can also view data on a smartwatch. These systems are very expensive and you’d need some very good clinical reasons to qualify for one.

However, if you get the little transmitter we mentioned, which sits on your Libre, it turns it into a CGM. It scans the sensor every five minutes for you and Bluetooths the data to your phone (you do need a smartphone). So you can then set alarms and again, send the data to certain watches.

For example, I use the Libre with the MiaoMiao sensor, an app called Spike on my iPhone, and a Fitbit Ionic watch. During the day, I’ve turned audible alarms on my phone off, and just have vibrating alerts on my watch. I have everything on at night!

Does that explain things a little better? Happy to answer any questions you might have x

Reactions: porl69

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just about to revive the morale and souls of my work colleagues who are missing me from my Former Area and more importantly are missing the cakes I'd occasionally bake. It's also fair to say it's been a shocker of a week for many people (though my own has been fine) and there was a fair amount of doom and gloom about the place by the end of today. It's also fair to say I have a pile of ingredients which need using up!

On offer will be
  • gluten-free, low-carb coffee and walnut
  • Chocolate cake
  • ginger cake
  • carrot cake
The real challenge will be getting this lot hidden from Young Vampire and peers and cunningly distributed.

Anyone here who needs cake, form an orderly queue.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Alas, the ginger cake wasn't made tonight, @helensaramay but a slice will head your way over the weekend. I'd run out of butter... but as I had some oil that really did need using, I did the banana loaf recipe I had which needed oil instead.

The penny has finally dropped - I really do need to bolus for eggs.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, first night of working - ehhh not enjoying it at the moment. Diabetes was running between 4.3-6.5 for the duration of the 4hours. I had a look around and there was nowhere to store my bag and not a single can of coke in sight because of the silly sugar tax. I wasn’t offered any food because of my part time schedule. If I was working full time, I might be offered food or a meal.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypo danger zone? Why not simply stick a roll of sweets in your back pocket, or take a spoon of sugar if you forgot your hypo treatment? They surely have that for coffe and tea.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I carried my dextrose tabs on me but if I hadn’t, it’d be a hypo danger zone. I didn’t hypo but I did examine the area to see if there was anything in case I couldn’t get to my backpack. My amazon belt arrived very late today so I had no pockets to hold anything.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@MeiChanski Instead at looking at the pitfalls as obstacles that are hard to overcome, look at the ways you can make it work. If you go out and about without pockets you have a purse. Well your purse might not be as reachable then I might just need to make sure I have pockets. If I absolutely have to wear something without pockets and I know I am going to be working and potentially have an issue, then as a women we have the blessing of a bra to stuff something onto.

But think of how you can make it work, instead of how it isn't.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski Instead at looking at the pitfalls as obstacles that are hard to overcome, look at the ways you can make it work. If you go out and about without pockets you have a purse. Well your purse might not be as reachable then I might just need to make sure I have pockets. If I absolutely have to wear something without pockets and I know I am going to be working and potentially have an issue, then as a women we have the blessing of a bra to stuff something onto.

But think of how you can make it work, instead of how it isn't.

Yes, I apologise, I did buy a belt which has pockets to slot things in without moving. Women clothes are notorious for not having pockets, so the closest thing I can think of is a belt at the moment. Unless cargo pants are cool now because the pockets on those are perfect. I’m going in tomorrow without my bulky backpack because there was nowhere to store it. Leggings with pockets have my interest as well :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
No apologies @MeiChanski! Life is about adapting to circumstances given to you, so one of the best tools you can ever learn is how to adapt! Cargo pants sound perfect or leggings with pockets!

I wore black jeans a lot as they had pockets and held up well, back jeans looked much better than blue jeans ever would. But I have also been known to add pockets to my dresses that don't have them.

Reactions: Manfer87 and hh1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, the run today was altered as a car caught fire on the A road, so we took the scenic countryside route, weather was pretty appalling this morning, but brightening up now.

Over the past 10 days or so, my BG (with depression and a feeling of low self worth, which at times, rears it's ugly head) has affected me a lot, so I decided on Monday to reduce my carb intake regarding potatoes, rice and pasta, or not having these and my BG has been much better, more stable and with a straighter line on my Libre. I was under 100 carbs anyway, maybe getting older and not doing exercise first thing in the morning ( as I am sitting in vehicle for about 2 hours) could be affecting me ?

Morning, just catching up with the thread.

sorry to read you've had the blues, @Robinredbreast . & the BGs are less rocky for you now.
Here's hoping the weekend & a fresh week brings brighter days!