Type 1'stars R Us

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
good morning everyone ,problems with new vial of basal yesterday numbers were not below 10 all day so vial changed and lets hope this solves the problem,hope everyones well if not hugs enjoy your day all :)

Reactions: kev-w

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, soooo much nicer today as the howling wind has disappeared, hope you manage to get out on the ladders toady @kev-w.

@karen8967 I had the same problem only recently but it took me a few days to figure out that it wasn't one of those inexplicable T1 things. Hope it's sorted fpr you soon.

Have a good day all once you've figured out what you can & can't do, when, who with and where :hilarious:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, soooo much nicer today as the howling wind has disappeared, hope you manage to get out on the ladders toady @kev-w.

@karen8967 I had the same problem only recently but it took me a few days to figure out that it wasn't one of those inexplicable T1 things. Hope it's sorted fpr you soon.

Have a good day all once you've figured out what you can & can't do, when, who with and where :hilarious:
thanks hh1 x

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've given up trying to figure out what I can do with who, where and when from tomorrow. I am staying put in the Current Usual apart from trying to re-institute my more usual amount of walking! Main Paid Work Place are very clear about that as is church and piano pupils parents.

Some of my students have remembered they can contact me by my work e-mail, that they are allowed to do so and I will reply to them. Of course, it may be parents/carers who have realised this might help with the daily wails of "Miss Japes! Miss college! Miss...." Certainly, the ones I've been in touch with this week after they had written (or dictated, rather, I know my students and their written work) have been appreciative. It's an easy thing to do and if it helps...

Think the mystery of the massive hike in insulin ratios has been solved. Less to do with walking less and more to do with an underlying infection. All sorted now though. And managed to avoid antibiotics for now, which is a relief as I'm allergic to several varieties! Keeping a very close eye on it all though... So, I will be back to usual I:C ratio for lunch today following the near to hypo number of 10 minutes ago.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Rebbit :p and good morning, my little uns mum's back at work today so I've got the little one, I'll get back to work tomorrow probably, but in the meantime I woke with a 6.1 and am still working on the ceilings whilst musing colour schemes, a task I seem to be making hard work of :p

Lots more people out and about I've noticed...

Edit, I can usually inject for the odd quiche but I just ate a ham hock one for lunch and spiked 4mmol in ten minutes, I just knew I should have had scotch eggs :p

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, 6.3 waking and a little excited as I 'think' I'll go back to work later this morning if I don't get chased out of peoples gardens as I set my ladders up although my kids say next Monday would be a better move, depends on what I inject I suppose as I neeed a unit less if doing ladder work.

I think I'll grind some more coffee beans whilst mulling over my moves :p

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, up on a 5.2, very happy with that. Not so happy with being woekn at 2.30 and 4.30 by a very large pup with an upset stomach who very much needed to go outside! Credit to her for waking me (she whines louder than a car alarm, I swear!) but I slept through my early alarm as a result.

I really feel for people with a dilemma about working or not today. What work I do is part-time and can't be done at the moment, though there's a little I can do by phone. The rest of it may never come back. Hope your decision works out for you @kev-w, stay safe everyone whatever you're doing.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

My morning numbers and insulin are all back to a "Normal for Japes" level! Hooray!

I'm holding back on getting out there for more walking until the excitement has died down a bit - it was utterly horrible yesterday evening at the part of the road where there's been little understanding of it all and I think I counted 15 people who I'd never seen before all standing talking and sharing music loudly from their cars outside the flats. Headphones were required so I could at least enjoy my film in relative peace until it all subsided.

Main Paid Work-wise, I have no decisions to make. I stay put until otherwise requested and I do not set foot on the premises without permission from at least three people, with the appropriate risk assessments in place for me personally. In fact, I'm offering my college's Principal's communication skills to the Government, it was a joy to read and no confusion. I am, however, increasingly doing a bit of on-line support directly with "my" students so feel a bit more as if I am doing something useful.

Church-wise, there are no decisions to make either. There will be no opening up of churches until July at the earliest. We've got a vague plan for how we go about it when we do, but will also act on whatever we're told. The organ still works, I checked it a few days ago, which I am permitted to do, but had to be very strict with myself not to succumb to the temptation to play it properly.

There's also someone supposed to be coming to assess the increasing pile of fly-tipping situation so I'm definitely staying put until that visit has happened. Someone who asked in all innocence "Has it been a problem before?" Yes, we've all been regularly reporting incidents for however long we've lived here (50 years in the case of my very elderly immediate neighbour!!)

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good afternoon, out for two walks again today, so now watching a St Trinians film on BBC2 and sitting on a 3.4 :rolleyes::banghead: so annoying !

Reactions: karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I went snorkeling today and got to swim with a huge turtle! I looked over and he was about 5 feet to my left! I think the biggest one I've seen so far. I see them on the shore resting but this is only the third time I've gotten to swim with one.

Reactions: LooperCat and kev-w

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! Psyching myself up for an essential shopping trip which is not food. I have run out of plasters! Plus, I could really do with another couple of pairs of joggers/leggings/tracksuit bottoms - whatever, the relatively loose variety of such things are called these days. Or rather, I haven't totally run out of plasters but I have run out of the ones which don't turn my skin red or even remove a layer of skin if left on for too long. I'd completely forgotten, when I bought some emergency ones of a named brand, they did that to me, it's been so long since I last had those. However, the need for the plasters is diminishing as the site is now healing nicely, which I'm mightily relieved about after yesterday's googling when I frightened myself with gruesome pictures and today was the GP's "If it's no better by... we'll have to try.." deadline. I dunno, first infection of this kind I've ever had, and I get it when I'm more or less isolated, been very scrupulous about washing self and surroundings. and am well away from the usual germ-spreaders I work with.

It means running the gamut of those neighbours who've more or less given up on distancing and lockdown, though, to be accurate this lot never really got the hang of it. Even though at least three of them should be strictly shielding It's been most interesting being around a lot more and observing it all discreetly.

Definitely been doing more work for students at a distance. Apparently our efforts at making a video from us saying what we're up to has gone down a storm and been really reassuring for them that we're still there, still concerned and still missing them. (Just remind me I said that when we return to a more usual way of education and I'm being driven mad by them all!)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that I've worked out the posting issues i was having last night.., Has anyone else here had serious problems with the lantus/toujeo glargine family of basal insulin's. I have asked repeatedly to be changed to tresiba as the lantus was exhausting itself within 8 hours of injecting, giving me massive, continuous hypos and not being active the remainder of the 24 hour period, leaving me with massive spikes over a prolonged period that has seriously effected my health. these spikes have always been put down to me not controlling my db properly, which i endeavor to do at (most) times. i was switched to toujeo after researching and finding the problem occurs in a small amount of skinny t1 dbs with lantus although it took 6 different db nurses to listen to me. after reading a forum on this issue it now appears that the issue is with the glargine insulin's requiring to be injected into subcutaneous fat in order to make it long acting, which i mentioned i have not got. I could rant forever on this subject as it has been an inspiration for my rage for months now. anyone else that has experienced these issues, i would be very interested to talk to and hear about their problems/solutions. i intend to go back to my db nurse and reeducate them on this dangerous lack of knowledge and understanding. Lastly, after the first series of db nurses that didn't listen and questioned my sanity, the one that finally listened knew about the issue, although they did not know the reasons as to why it effected skinny t1s. Knowledge is power people, keep the sharing up this site is my new favorite resource, Bless you all :)

I'm increasingly having the same problem with Toujeo.
I'd been using Lantus with no trouble since Feb 2016, then changed to Toujeo in Jan 2019....BUT over the last 5 months, after loosing around 9kg body weight, Im having the exact same problems you are having. Its no longer behaving like a Basal insulin... its behaving like an extremely unstable Humulin.
Ive been speaking to doctors in Australia and in Germany for advice (I work abroad often) and they all seem to think Im making this up! SO IM **** GLAD TO FIND THIS POST and the other links people are adding that are directly outlining the issues with the Glargine chemistry.
Yeeeaaah, these forums are such a brilliant resource !! Thanks all.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning all. We visited a very slightly further from home bit of woodland for yesterday’s walk. We’d not been there for what seemed like years but is, in reality only four months. There were hardly any cars in the small spaces for parking, the leaves are bright and any bluebells in the shade still electric blue. We tested the cardiovascular system with a long climb up a ‘secret’ path (I only had to stop once to get my breath back) only to surprise a family who were about to head down. They swiftly turned back and headed off elsewhere: ok, we may have seemed short of breath and frightened them, but if they go back and try it for themselves in fourteen days’ time they’ll understand.
I’m getting a tad concerned about the planned reopening of schools. Older daughter (the biologist) thinks it’s mad.

Reactions: karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all. Embarrassingly smooth lines atm, just waiting for it all to go wrong. Or maybe all the cinnamon I used in some baking yesterday has cured the ‘beeeetus. Who knows?

E51C8ADF-D2E9-471B-964C-1BBC52B64F84.jpeg

Rest day today which means uni work. Son just gone to his dad’s for the next 2.5 weeks, so the house feel quite lonely, and I’ll have to make my own tea until Husbeast gets home from work tonight. Perhaps I should work on training the cats?

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w