Type 1'stars R Us

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's a fantastic graph @LooperCat, well done.
Got a call from surgery that I had to go for a blood test, otherwise medication would no longer be prescribed. Don't want to go, for fear of catching covid, but feel I've got no choice. Frustratingly the dr kept dictating what to say to me to the receptionist, and wouldn't speak to me directly. Having not been shopping or out anywhere since before lockdown, I just think what's the point of me doing everything I can to stay safe, when I have to go to the surgery. Really stressed, blood sugar high and totally fed up. Sorry rant over.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, I made the 'executive' decision to restart some work this coming Monday, mainly due to a communications mix up with the ex over childcare :banghead: but it'll let me get on with the refurb, not quite ready to paper but a lot further on than I was I'm pleased to say.

I only managed 10 miles on the bike yesterday as I felt a little tired but was faster than when I started at the beginning of the lockdown so it's not all bad, I'd imagine the gym will stay shut until the pubs reopen, although I'm unsure how distancing will work in a gym but will play it by ear as it happens :)

Hope the poster @MeiChanski is doing alright with the illness!

Reactions: karen8967

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm increasingly having the same problem with Toujeo.
I'd been using Lantus with no trouble since Feb 2016, then changed to Toujeo in Jan 2019....BUT over the last 5 months, after loosing around 9kg body weight, Im having the exact same problems you are having. Its no longer behaving like a Basal insulin... its behaving like an extremely unstable Humulin.
Ive been speaking to doctors in Australia and in Germany for advice (I work abroad often) and they all seem to think Im making this up! SO IM **** GLAD TO FIND THIS POST and the other links people are adding that are directly outlining the issues with the Glargine chemistry.
Yeeeaaah, these forums are such a brilliant resource !! Thanks all.

Hi,

I'm another one in the queue regarding basal. (i use Lantus.)

I have a GP on board for a basal change & a DSN in agreement.

But the Endo says no...
I went in armed with a bunch of Libre graphs & he swept them aside, then blamed it on my injections sites.
I use a variety of sites. It don't make no difference.
Lantus for me also consistently loses potency about halfway 2/3 down the cartridge too.?
Nothing wrong with the sites. I could quite happily wear "hot pants" if I was that way inclined...

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w You and a good few others, I've seen a lot of window cleaners out at work in the 4 miles I've just walked.

I've compromised!! I'm not great at compromising on clothes things. I really hate clothes shopping and given the supermarkets are the only shops open with clothes for sale in my bit of the world, therefore everyone is doing likewise, I've had three failed attempts to do this because of the crowded hideousness of it all. So, my current tracky bottoms can be for outside wear and I've found some reasonable pajama trousers for home slobbing. If they only do for these next few weeks I'll be happy.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a fantastic graph @LooperCat, well done.
Got a call from surgery that I had to go for a blood test, otherwise medication would no longer be prescribed. Don't want to go, for fear of catching covid, but feel I've got no choice. Frustratingly the dr kept dictating what to say to me to the receptionist, and wouldn't speak to me directly. Having not been shopping or out anywhere since before lockdown, I just think what's the point of me doing everything I can to stay safe, when I have to go to the surgery. Really stressed, blood sugar high and totally fed up. Sorry rant over.

My husband tried to order his repeat prescription on the NHS site this morning. (Not a diabetic) It wouldn’t let him as he also needs a review. He rang the surgery, was told to fill in a form on line, which he did. An hour later he had an email to say the medication had been confirmed and would be ready for collection at chemist in 48 hours. Seems very odd to me that someone requiring insulin should be made to have a blood test to get the medication in this unprecedented time. Contest it with your hospital team.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think everything’s still running to stand still out there in the world beyond the woods and the garden.
I’m feeling a little guilty about the privilege of being retired and not having to consider whether it’s safe to go back to work, and at the same time fearful about being in a group that’s described as more vulnerable. Take care out there all you who are working.
Triumph of the day, a Sainsbury’s delivery slot. This time last year I wouldn’t have believed you if you told me I’d be whooping and grinning about getting one.
Bloods have gone awol for the last twenty-four hours. Fiasp’s fine but Levemir’s gone on strike. Has it been talking to you @Japes?
Much swearing in the four corners of the house.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do apologise if my bloods have been leading your bloods astray @Fairygodmother My Levermir's sort of been on strike but has been better behaved since I gave it a good talking to and threatened to bin it if it carried on pretending it didn't know how to do its job.

Both my Novorapid and Levemir cartridges ran out when I did the evening doses. It's not often I get them run out together!

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How would I know if my Levimir is playing up. All I have been told is take 15 in a morning and 16 in the evening and to take the Novorapid before each meal

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How would I know if my Levimir is playing up. All I have been told is take 15 in a morning and 16 in the evening and to take the Novorapid before each meal
Well, for me the usual sign is that my blood sugars rise much more than usual, especially overnight during the time when the last bolus of the day has ceased to be active, and when the first bolus the next morning becomes active. I will also need more bolus to get blood sugars to come down again, even if I’ve taken correction doses during the night.
I always have an internal discussion going on at these times: is it a bug, did I miscalculate for what I’ve eaten, have I been stressed, is the needle blocked, is the pen working properly, how long has the basal been out of the fridge, did the frio heat up etc etc.
If my blood sugars don’t resolve over 24-36 hours, and I can find no other cause, then I change the basal cartridge. Nine times out of ten everything goes back to normal, not perfect but normal.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@davgre I am on a pump, so for me it is usually a placement site problem or a pod that isn't working properly. But it can be insulin too. There's no way to distinguish that except to change the pod out and if something is still wrong to change out the insulin. But as soon as I change a pod if my sugars go up fast or a steady increase and I haven't eaten, time to investigate what's wrong.

You are on a set amount of bolus? Are you still in a honeymoon period? Because if you are things can be sort of erratic. But I would learn to carb count for your dosing, it is much better for control in the long run.

Reactions: kev-w

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, very busy day yesterday so i never made it on here. Taking advantage of the relaxation of lockdown today to walk in a secure field with a friend and her dog so mine can run with another dog off lead. My friend and I will make our own way there and then socially distance, expecting to see the dogs do exactly what dogs usually do!

@Antje77 that's brilliant, I'm going to look at some more of his, very funny. Thanks for a good laugh! (Does make me think I'm in the wrong job :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
6.6 on waking, happy. Same old Levemir but I gave myself a bigger than usual hit of Fiasp before sleep and put the carb box within easy reach. Carb wasn’t needed, the limping Levemir had been given just the right crutch. Change the cartridge, and swopped to the spare pen his morning. I really hate waste, don’t like dumping a two thirds used cartridge, but I think this one’s become ineffective a good two or three days earlier than the norm. Insulin eugenics? Argh