Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, late on parade today, I have a list of things to do and it didn't seem to be getting much shorter - so I applied myself after a walk in the secure field with my dog, my friend and her dog. Did that this morning and the temperature was pretty perfect for them to have a seriously good run together.

It's the only time my dog gets to be off the lead (apart from in the garden). Her recall seemed to disappear just before lockdown, and as I can't afford to have her running off particularly now, I walk her on a 10m lead. I'm planning to do some work with the trainer as soon as she's back at work, and I spoke to her earlier this week to make sure I wasn't doing anything dreadful till then. I'm not, and she suggested I get hold of a book all about recall. I started reading it last night and couldn't put it down. It's very informative, I've learned things I didn't know (and I've lived with other dogs for the past 24 years) and I'm looking forward to getting to the part where the author sets out a training plan to get her recall back and reliable. It also made me laugh out loud sevefral times, primarily at her descriptions of peoples' reactions when their dogs clear off or misbehave. Some of it was a description of yours truly. So I'm optimistic about an improvement once I've got through the book and know exactly what we're going to be doing.

Apart from that some chores and urgent gardening bits, on a beaurifully warm and sunny day here in Somerset. Hope you're all having days that feel as rewarding as mine does (sounds like you have, @Japes!)

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed you are lucky - I remember living in those kinds of sticks all too well. It's why I like city living!
Have to be honest the thought of going out to get fish and chips without them being luke warm by the time you get home is appealing on occasions.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to be honest the thought of going out to get fish and chips without them being luke warm by the time you get home is appealing on occasions.

Nearest chip shop, when it's open, 5 minutes walk away. Better one 7 minutes walk away. It has its disadvantages... Luckily, they are both permanently closed at the moment.

Reactions: Daphne917

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @Japes for persevering, I hope everyone is blessed and appreciates the time and effort you put in. Hope your bloods soon return to where you want them to be.

Thank you. I am lucky as people are very much appreciating whatever I am doing musically and admin-wise whilst I can't actually get into the church and on to the organ stool, other than an occasional check on the beastie when I spend more time cleaning anything I have touched once I've been through the routine of checking it's all OK.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Later on parade than you @hh1, and my only excuse is that I’ve been slouching around between rain showers, and relocating some plants so I can reclaim the rest of the veg garden from the abundant flag irises. Oh, and I’ve started reading a downloaded book that’s got my attention.
I seem to have adapted well to an extended personal lockdown, it must be due to the indolence gene and the greenery in the garden. Like you @kev-w, husband has daily improve the dwelling tasks he sets himself, though since we’ve been here more years than many of you have been alive his are mostly tarting up the paint on the walls rather than such major works. Hope yours are beautifully completed before you begin the old work regime again.
Younger daughter’s been painting walls too, as well as working from home. And exercising the dog. And home schooling the grandsons with son-in-law. My inner younger self has transformed our garden into a wonderfully scented wildlife jungle of delights, but . . .

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
What is the name of the book @hh1 lol........My dobie comes right away, but the newer adopted one last year was a very scared of everyone dog. She comes most of the time, but sometimes she decides to be scared and either sits there or runs and hides. She is a lot better but concerning if she were to ever get out the front door. I can see me shrieking and her running.

Frankly it doesn't help I have gotten lazier about taking time to actually train anyone anymore as I've gotten older. I used to be able to take 4 dogs to the vets at once and have them all sitting nicely without a blink. If I actually spent time doing some training instead of magically deciding they should know better it would probably make a difference.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the name of the book @hh1 lol........My dobie comes right away, but the newer adopted one last year was a very scared of everyone dog. She comes most of the time, but sometimes she decides to be scared and either sits there or runs and hides. She is a lot better but concerning if she were to ever get out the front door. I can see me shrieking and her running.

Frankly it doesn't help I have gotten lazier about taking time to actually train anyone anymore as I've gotten older. I used to be able to take 4 dogs to the vets at once and have them all sitting nicely without a blink. If I actually spent time doing some training instead of magically deciding they should know better it would probably make a difference.

Hi Marie, it's Total Recall by Pippa Mattinson. My trainer also put me on to a website, https://absolute-dogs.com which has helpful stuff for building confidence in timid dogs (not that that applies to mine! Although it would've been helpful with the last one)~.

Reactions: Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning, a nice 4.3 this Monday morning, can't believe it's Monday again lol the days and the weeks seem to go by quite quickly. Just having a cuppa and going to read a chapter of my book :bookworm:
Take care and be safe X

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke on 3.5 but slept late. Sunny here though it's not meant to last all day so I plan to get out soon as I don't want to walk or garden in the rain!

Have a good day all, stay safe whatever you're doing.

Reactions: karen8967

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awoke early after an early night. Been reading ever since and just finished my 13th DI Ryan book. Phone rang about 8am, automated message to say Libre reader to be delivered between 10 and 11 by Simon. Good old Simon. New one on today for 24 hour bedding in and activation tomorrow whoop! Oh and it has stopped raining at last. Garden looks nice and moist.

Reactions: kev-w and karen8967

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning - Haven't been on the forum for a while, been busy...…..I bought a Bubble...……….and a fitbit Versa so I can now just glance at my watch and see my BG, heading, graph, IOB and COB, along with time/date steps heart rate etc.etc.

Attached is the phone app screen shot...…….getting the hang of this game...…….now I've said that...……..!:D

Attachments

• IMG_1218.PNG
    IMG_1218.PNG
    110 KB · Views: 268
Reactions: Jaylee and kev-w

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Nice kit @slip I had to read that twice, was unsure if you’d been living in a bubble or was using one :hilarious:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Do you know when you will be unfurloughed? Our small local garage started back last week

Was back in last Monday....and it was very busy.
It’s been a rough nine weeks @porl69! How’s your brother now? I hope his recovery’s proceeding well, and you get back to work again before too long.

He is as well as can be expected. He has bronchitis now! His immune system is shot to pieces at the moment

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning everyone.
Nice kit @slip, isn’t it great to look at a watch rather than a phone! And so much easier to cart around too.
I feel liberated by my watlaa, and its alerts. Even so, I woke at 6 this morning, had a cup of tea, nudged the 6.9, fell asleep again and woke at 9.00 to a 3.8. I must have been tired and slept through the alerts. Or I need to reset them. Pause while looks. Yup, just reset. It must have slipped when I rebound the MM before bed last night. 3.8’s ok though, and it would have been a good morning if I hadn’t come down to find that the cat had thrown up in the kitchen,
Hope your brother’s immune system gets stronger @porl69. Take super-sanitiser care at work yourself.
Have a cheerful day everyone.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! Garden whirlwind tidy this morning before garden bin day tomorrow. Intriguingly, there's another carb-counting soul with diabetes around here who has had a recent bonfire who's bits of burnt food diary landed in my back garden. I know this how? Carb count for strawberries and cream along with "Banana after a walk (3.9)" written on the bit of paper I could read. I was cursing the bonfire a couple of days ago as well!

Also cursing my current capacity for leaving tissues in pockets at the moment. Now written a note to stick on the washing machine door to remind me to check pockets when I stand by the machine to shove outdoors clothes in it to get them washed fast when I've been near people. Or rather, they've been too near me. My skills at dodging the unknown to me members of the human race are legendary in non-pandemic times, let along when I'm keeping 2 metres distance.

Pre-lunch time work e-mail check next, then lunch and a walk unless I've got some work to do this afternoon.

Last edited: