Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, puppy's had her play date this morning and now I'm off to cut the grass. Of which there is much.

@Japes, I encountered a runner in my local wood. Two in fact, young women, who I was walking behind on a path through a grassy area. One of them thought it was okay to blow her nose by holding a finger over one nostril and snorting on to the ground to one side then repeating the process to the other. I don't believe this is illegal in the UK but I do think it flies in the face of everything we're told to do in the current situation. I was being left well behind , but changed direction and had I been closer would have suggested it was anti-social to be doing this on a much-walked path with someone walking behind her.

Have a great weekend all whatever you're doing (unless it's snorting [anything!] in public)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, not long got up after a busy but low-key nightshift. Lots of jobs but only one needed to be taken in to hospital. A fair bit of liaising with out of hours GP services to enable alternative care pathways. Got a few days off now and I intend to do as little as possible. Hope all is well with you all. Oh, diabetes ticking along ok...

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yippee! I do not have to venture into any shops for more fleeces today! Now it's getting colder I can't quite get by on the current in-use collection. The lockdown inactivity weight gain is slowly receding and the fleeces I'd retired temporarily have been bought back into use again. Not quite there for the pre-lockdown work jeans, but getting closer.

There is a high level of stupidity out there and I am definitely safer at home. Apparently, I am a stupid person for believing in Covid being real, I need to get a life, and I am not meant to object to poor, innocent slow runners breathing heavily behind me as they are unable to move slightly further away from me (this is on the 2 metres wide path I was on the edge of, with no-one walking toward me, that cuts across the park it takes me 10 minutes to walk across!) and I am not meant to move unexpectedly as I am trying to work out what the heck is going on with the heavy breathing I can hear over the music coming through my non-music leaking earphones.

Never mind, I am home, with well-behaved blood sugars after a week of normal activity levels, totally returned to pre-March ratios all round and apart from the usual Sundays blips, they've been good for days now. I'll take that as a win and please can they stay that way until my consultant's appointment in early October. (Far as I know, it's face to face, I am so excited!)
I went to my local Tesco yesterday and felt a bit nervous. Customers were wearing masks, although one elderly couple only had their mouths covered which they moved down every time they spoke to each other, but since they stopped the one way system it seems to be a free for all and, whilst I left a reasonable gap and waited for someone to finish picking up their milk, some body/idiot just pushed in and was about 2 feet from both of us! They have also stopped the in one way, out the other so again customers were quite close.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I went to my local Tesco yesterday and felt a bit nervous. Customers were wearing masks, although one elderly couple only had their mouths covered which they moved down every time they spoke to each other, but since they stopped the one way system it seems to be a free for all and, whilst I left a reasonable gap and waited for someone to finish picking up their milk, some body/idiot just pushed in and was about 2 feet from both of us! They have also stopped the in one way, out the other so again customers were quite close.
Some people just don’t ‘get it’ do they. One of our more distant neighbours, by that I mean we don’t live close enough to talk over the garden fence, has become a one woman educator of each and every non mask wearer and/or social distance breaker. She doesn’t mince words. I was, too, with the young man who lowered his mask to talk with his mates in Lidl, but I was far nicer to the young woman whose mask kept slipping because the ear straps were too long. I think if we’re more vulnerable, we’re more aware of them. Usually, like @hh1, I try to avoid them. Or say ‘excuse me’ in an exasperated teacher tone.
And I thought once that I was such a lovely, smiley, eccentric old woman.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people just don’t ‘get it’ do they. One of our more distant neighbours, by that I mean we don’t live close enough to talk over the garden fence, has become a one woman educator of each and every non mask wearer and/or social distance breaker. She doesn’t mince words. I was, too, with the young man who lowered his mask to talk with his mates in Lidl, but I was far nicer to the young woman whose mask kept slipping because the ear straps were too long. I think if we’re more vulnerable, we’re more aware of them. Usually, like @hh1, I try to avoid them. Or say ‘excuse me’ in an exasperated teacher tone.
And I thought once that I was such a lovely, smiley, eccentric old woman.
I think you’re right feeling more vulnerable. I was told by my consultant on Tuesday that I needed a procedure under GA and on Thursday the pre-op nurse told me that I was on the very urgent list so need to be careful re Covid etc. I had noticed people during lockdown pushing in, going the wrong way in the one way system etc and used to get annoyed at them but this was the first time that I felt really nervous about it.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In our local Tesco’s Saturday, man without mask helping himself to coffee. Coughing all over and into hand then touching all the machine. Am in and out like a ninja!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’m still feeling that while we’re being asked to extend sympathy to those with invisible disabilities who ‘can’t’ wear masks, there’s no reciprocal sympathy for those with invisible illnesses who are also clinically vulnerable.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, unexpectedly busy weekend with giving away plants, deliveering a cheesecake to a friend in return for a favour, chatting to locals on my dog walk, catching up with friends and family on the phone and still have a shedload of stuff on the to-do list! I'm enjoying the sunshine here in Somerset, I gather from family that it's quite different on the eastern side of the country. I'd just like the wind to drop a bit more, but that's really not a complaint.

Hope you're all enjoying whatever your weekend brings and not being too hassled by the idiots out there. Are we back to signing off 'stay safe' again?

Reactions: SueJB and karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Daphne917 Hugs your way, I'm sorry to hear about you needing a quick surgery. Always scary.

They stopped the one way aisles here quite a while ago as people went every which way anyways. It was a pain to walk all the way down one aisle to get to the next one and was exasperating at times. as my back didn't always like the extra walking. I was happy to see it go for that reason plus half the people weren't doing it anyways and I would eye them with envy.

My BG levels completely behaved themselves snorkeling again in at a 7.2 and out at a 5.7 after 2 and a half hours. Too funny, as we were swimming, my husband told me he had a hard time keeping up with me when I would decide to swim fast. He finally told me I'm on my own if I swim fast, he figures if I drown he'll just get a new wife!!!! Lol. I have always been a really good swimmer and was even a lifeguard when I was a teenager, but I also figure it has to do with the 10 miles I ride on my exercise bike every day.

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone enjoy your day i have very bad copd and cant wear a mask when i must go the shops im in and out like jack flash but there are some very selfish people who have no respect for peoples space ...i am not one of them .

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, must catch up with the to-do list today, deadlines for some things looming and I've a meeting this evening - six of us, indoors, socially distanced, masked and sanitised. That'll be interesting.

Have a good day all, hope you all manage to stay clear of idiots!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning everyone enjoy your day i have very bad copd and cant wear a mask when i must go the shops im in and out like jack flash but there are some very selfish people who have no respect for peoples space ...i am not one of them .
COPD’s not nice Karen, my sister has it. I hope you didn’t feel I was getting at you: It’s all the non mask wearers who forge selfishly ahead without noticing others, who don’t understand, or respect the need for distancing and still ask for sympathy!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
COPD’s not nice Karen, my sister has it. I hope you didn’t feel I was getting at you: It’s all the non mask wearers who forge selfishly ahead without noticing others, who don’t understand, or respect the need for distancing and still ask for sympathy!
Not at all fairygod mother x

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
So apparently I have the longer snorkeling BG under control (until next week lol when it decides differently) but I don't have the night after snorkeling figured out.

An 8 ounce container of orange juice, a half a vegan taro donut, half a vegan hot dog, temp basal reduction, all spread out throughout the night and about 8 plus alerts and I have ended up really tired.

I have had some lows the night after snorkeling before, but usually manageable with drinking some OJ. Nothing this radical.

My husband thinks skipping this midweek snorkel ("a rest") will make it better, I had to explain to him about 3 times that I have to figure it out, breaking from a day of snorkeling will make no difference.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So apparently I have the longer snorkeling BG under control (until next week lol when it decides differently) but I don't have the night after snorkeling figured out.

An 8 ounce container of orange juice, a half a vegan taro donut, half a vegan hot dog, temp basal reduction, all spread out throughout the night and about 8 plus alerts and I have ended up really tired.

I have had some lows the night after snorkeling before, but usually manageable with drinking some OJ. Nothing this radical.

My husband thinks skipping this midweek snorkel ("a rest") will make it better, I had to explain to him about 3 times that I have to figure it out, breaking from a day of snorkeling will make no difference.
Hope you manage to sort it out @Marie 2, I know how frustrating it is when whatever form of exercise just messes with bgs with no apparent consistency. When my husband was alive I loved it when he was interested enough to try to help, but found it really hard sometimes to be patient when explaining why some of his suggestions wouldn't work. It's the biggest comfort from this site, I think, that I'm always talking to people who have T1, so they get it when there's a problem. Fingers crossed for you!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That is so true @hh1, you know that other T1's understand the trials and tribulations!

I am so sick of everything sweet today!!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all, good morning Karen, you have a good day too.
The early triumph today, managed to book a plumber to try and fix a basin‘s drainage problems, for this Friday. And I thought with all the skeleton staff at most companies at the moment it would need to wait til next week. Not a good term at the moment, skeleton staff - it was the plumbing company that used it, not me.