Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Been lashing down for most of the morning

Do we really turn the clocks back this weekend? Ooer

Yes, the clocks go back tonight, so I will be able to watch the Swedish/Danish police drama at 11.25 pm, because I will turn my clocks back then, so it will just be 10.25 pm :D

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all - I would have been on parade earlier, but decided me and the entire world would be the better for a bit of a break from one another! Anyway, we made it. Single figures of Covid cases, which we are currently taking as a win as none are related, and none transmitted through our workplace... yet.

You will all be pleased to know all my new to me students this year take a deep interest in my "numbers" and their consequences, all know exactly where my emergency supplies are and respect them, and do not flinch at injection time. Even those who start by telling me they hate needles. I took great pleasure in telling their parents how much I appreciated the student support and how proud they should be of their offspring.

OK, if the Young Vampire happens to be in the vicinity, as I've covered that lunch duty a few times if none of the other trained staff in that group are there, there is a loud yell of "Gross!!" and a turning of the back as tummy is not the YV's idea of a suitable injection site, but there will be proud supervision of all my kit and careful ensuring that no-one comes near me until it's all done.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, the clocks go back tonight, so I will be able to watch the Swedish/Danish police drama at 11.25 pm, because I will turn my clocks back then, so it will just be 10.25 pm :D

I will also be staying up later and not feeling bad about it - no organist duties tomorrow, so I can lie in if I want to!

However, what I'll be staying up for is the live-streaming of a friend's funeral taking place in America! I'd never have been able to be there even if life wasn't like it is right now, and I'm glad so much more of this kind of thing is able to happen for those who can't be at services. (I've "attended" several weddings and funerals this way over the last few months and whilst it is not at all my preference - it's certainly better than feeling I can't take part in any way! However, I'm entirely grateful it's not something we do from our church but that's a Whole Nother story.)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, did I get lucky and almost very unlucky. My 25 year old washer went that I kept repairing as we have had to buy water and energy efficient ones starting 6-8 years ago??? And everyone had nothing but bad to say about them. So I kept repairing mine. They are supposedly now improved and the transmission and the motor went on my old one and the repairman said we would be lucky to find one or the other parts but not both.

Well I am on an island now, instant choices as the only ones in stock on the island is 1 very cheap not well liked one, and 1 really nice but no repair person available brands. Sigh you have to order and because of covid our local big chain hardware store doesn't really know what is coming in when. The supervisor keeps ordering each week because he knows whatever comes in will sell. I had heard another big chain hardware store will ship here that is on the major island. So I called over there and found the one I liked the best that is due in the first week of November. I checked on shipping and which one my GF had just bought to make sure she was happy with it and tried to call them back to pay for it and no answer, no answer at customer service.......12 calls timed out. Called another store of the same chain and they weren't sure when they would get one and told me the other store of theirs I was trying to call is known to be the worse for ever being able to get hold of anyone................

I called this morning and got an answer and a very helpful guy and he checked and there was one left in back not spoken for yet, I paid for it and was jumping for joy. My husband gets a text from the credit card company saying they blocked a charge because of possible fraud to call them ***???? They have never done that. They said to call the store back and tell them to resubmit it. This is to the store we couldn't get hold of and did by chance???? Sure enough no answer............managed to get kitchen cabinets to answer and asked them pretty please can they get someone from appliances on the phone, she did, (I appreciate helpful people). Told them to put it back through.....................no charge showing up, just attempts at preauthorizations??? What is that about? I want that washer and it's not like I can go in there to straighten it out. 3 hours later finally get someone in appliances to answer and I just gave them a different card to put it through because I have no idea whats going on and oh TY TY. Notice the delivery date on the invoice by e-mail says 3 weeks away, but it was supposed to be put on the boat this next Tuesday and 3 weeks away is probably not a good idea as washers are in demand? lol ................. managed to bug the other department again to get me someone and they said they have it as next Tuesday.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, Some people on some machines here have been waiting since April, just found out someone was due a refrig in Aug, got pushed back until Sept and now told Dec.This one is a bird in the hand and I want it lol...............So fingers crossed!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, was planning a lie-in but woke up at 4.45 and since I couldn't get back to sleep I gave up and got up at 6. My body's obviously still on old time, bgs 4.8 so happy with that. Weird again to be first this morning!

In for some wet and windy weather all over the country today, not sure how much of that we'll get but I can start moving things into my new spare room furniture if I can't get outside. Some things will have to wait as I need to decorate (paint the walls - they're too old and wonky to do anything else) and get new carpet.

Hope you all get to see some sunshine today.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Starting with a couple of :banghead: :banghead: 's for this post.

SO, my GP's surgery has decided to switch off my online ordering facility. Instead I just get everything on my repeat prescription from the in house Lloyds pharmacy at a certain date.

I am about to run out of test strips and need to get them but I will also get 1 packet (5 pens) of long acting insulin, 1 packet (5 pens) of rapid acting insulin that I don't have room for in the fridge and a month's worth of antihistamines which I don't need at the moment.

The oldest insulin pens are probably going to be get binned along with the stock of antihistamines that I have. When you consider that there are people in the US reportedly struggling to afford insulin, the idea of being forced to simply discard it is difficult to reconcile.

On top of this madness, Menarini have made the Glucomen LX Plus obsolete and have sent me an Areo2 meter under the lifetime warranty scheme. (I don't like this meter but that's another story). The GP's surgery have asked Menarini to send me another one even though I'd already told them I didn't need it or want it. So now I have 2, one I tried and one unopened in its shipping condition which will probably also get binned.

Have written to the practice manager today to ask if they want the meter back and if the online ordering can be re-instated.

I am grateful for the NHS but I do despair sometimes at some of the decisions being taken.

Finishing with a couple of :banghead::banghead: 's for good measure.

Last edited:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@urbanracer I am in awe of the various levels of ridiculousness in all of that. I hate wasting insulin for similar reasons and 5 pens of each is two months+ supply for me. I really have no need of five pens every month, test strips are the only item I order on every month's repeat.

Luckily, my LX Plus had been issued by the hospital clinic, and I got to choose which I wanted from what they had available when I did DAFNE last year, when it became apparent the LX Plus was about to become obsolete. (As I'd always had excellent service from Spirit when I self-funded a Tee2, I went for the Caresens Dual and I like it. Tee2 is the one my GP hands out, it's my back up emergency one now.)

I have had to explain to my surgery's receptionists that I rarely need everything every time, but I do really need everything on my repeat prescription form. But I have had no dealings with them for ages as I went to on-line ordering in March as was demanded of me. Hope yours gets reinstated!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

SO, my GP's surgery has decided to switch off my online ordering facility. Instead I just get everything on my repeat prescription from the in house Lloyds pharmacy at a certain date.

I am about to run out of test strips and need to get them but I will also get 1 packet (5 pens) of long acting insulin, 1 packet (5 pens) of rapid acting insulin that I don't have room for in the fridge and a month's worth of antihistamines which I don't need at the moment.

The oldest insulin pens are probably going to be get binned along with the stock of antihistamines that I have. When you consider that there people in the US reportedly struggling to afford insulin, the idea of being forced to simply discard it is difficult to reconcile.

On top of this madness, Menarini have made the Glucomen LX Plus obsolete and have sent me an Areo2 meter under the lifetime warranty scheme. (I don't like this meter but that's another story). The GP's surgery have asked Menarini to send me another one even though I'd already told them I didn't need it or want it. So now I have 2, one I tried and one unopened in its shipping condition which will probably also get binned.

Have written to the practice manager today to ask if they want the meter back and if the online ordering can be re-instated.

I am grateful for the NHS but I do despair sometimes at some of the decisions being taken.

In some ways our surgery has gone in the opposite direction.

My OH has longstanding issues with his ears. Physical internal damage means they are susceptible to infection. He has now had 3 lots of antibiotics, just at his request, on the prescription ordering system, with no discussion or examination. Two of those scripts were for active infections (one ear following the other), and this last one, he thought he'd quite like to have a course "in hand" to start immediately, next time it flares.

He is sensible about it all, and hates taking meds, but not everyone is.

Trying to see anyone F2F is a different story!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The oldest insulin pens are probably going to be get binned along with the stock of antihistamines that I have. When you consider that there people in the US reportedly struggling to afford insulin, the idea of being forced to simply discard it is difficult to reconcile.

What a nightmare! I likewise despair of some of the decisions made within the NHS, particularly when it comes to prescriptions. I remember years ago questioning why I was given prefilled Lantus pens when they were something like 10 times the cost of a permanent pen and vials which I'd have preferred anyway. My nurse didn't know that, changed my script and said she'd be looking at her other patients on prefilled (I know they're preferable for some people; I don't like the waste and don't need them). So how was this shift to incredibly expensive, waste plastic-producing kit allowed to happen? And then CCGs quibble over life-saving drugs and equipment. Go figure.

I wish you luck with your surgery, but I'm not holding my breath any more than I suspect you are....

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Hello good people

Here’s little Wispa

IMG_1603669550.678669.jpg

She’s spoilt rotten

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, @Cumberland that is one heart-melting photo - she's just gorgeous!

A mixed day here, weatherwise and in every sense for me. Paperwork, dog playdate in a secure field, shopping, still sorting out my spare room. I'm trying to turn stuff out as I put things into the new furniture. I'm so bad at clearing out; I know things will come in useful the minute I've moved them on!

Have a good day all.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Can you open your bag in the chemists and get them to take the ones you don’t want out as they may be able to reissue them?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning all. Have a happy day.
@Cumberland, Wispa’s lovely! Those eyes!
@urbanracer, that’s so frustrating - are your surgery short staffed? Is there a new and over-keen administrator who’s trying to save script approval time but doesn’t have sufficient patient info? What a waste of good meds!
I’ve still got a few bags of stuff from the just before lockdown turnout I did @hh1, including two big boxes of vintage China there’s no room for in the new streamlined kitchen but that I just can’t bear to get rid of. They take up the whole of a sofa in the back room, the room with my desk and part-time work files. There’s also a lovely view of the garden and it’s a place to sit listen to the radio and music. Luckily I’ve a comfy chair there too, which I can use while staring out at the garden, turning my back on the boxes and forgetting the dystopian world, unless the cat’s nabbed it first. Be warned!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The two rooms have had their makeover and now we are moving stuff back into them. Well I have stopped half way in mine as I am making Halloween bags of candy to have out on a table for the kids to grab this year. We decorate and have always made a big thing of it and the kids are still allowed to trick or treat on our island. But I am not getting near them lol...........So bags on a table it is!!!!

But as we are moving stuff back into the rooms, my husband found my 2 feet by 2 feet styrofoam bright lime green frog doing a peace sign.............aw I got rid of so much when we moved but I bought (or someone) did this when I was a teen and I painted fluorescent lime green paint on every closet, mirror and doorway rim in my room, and a bedspread that was lime green with daisies my mom made for me, and it matched everything. It's got some missing paint but all in one piece and I still don't know what to do with it but can't bring myself to get rid of it either. As soon as I look at it, it takes me back to my teenage room.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Can you open your bag in the chemists and get them to take the ones you don’t want out as they may be able to reissue them?

I was once told that once an item has a name/address label on it they cannot take it back and give it to somebody else. This branch doesn't just label the bag, they label every item in it.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was once told that once an item has a name/address label on it they cannot take it back and give it to somebody else. This branch doesn't just label the bag, they label every item in it.
So does mine, and I'd never thought about that. I just thought that they couldn't take anything back once they'd handed it over.

Reactions: urbanracer

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My husband (but in US) just went to pick up some items the dentist called in and I didn't want one and maybe 2 of them. I had told him if it's the same mouthwash don't get it, I have plenty and I don't want the ibuprofen. So when he got there he had the girl at the counter pull out the mouthwash and tell her no we don't want that and turned down the ibuprofen. We have done this before at different pharmacies and they have no issues about removing the label as long as it doesn't leave their possession.

Reactions: karen8967