Type 1'stars R Us

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Local NHS are asking people to order prescriptions early, as it may take 7-14 days to prescribe as they're so busy. Some surgeries asking people to order by 10 December for any Christmas meds you need. As I only ordered mine on Friday, I'm not due to reorder till 25 December. Can see a problem arising, as this happened last year, and online ordering wouldn't allow me to order again till a few days before Christmas and then I was running short. Oh joy!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Local NHS are asking people to order prescriptions early, as it may take 7-14 days to prescribe as they're so busy. Some surgeries asking people to order by 10 December for any Christmas meds you need. As I only ordered mine on Friday, I'm not due to reorder till 25 December. Can see a problem arising, as this happened last year, and online ordering wouldn't allow me to order again till a few days before Christmas and then I was running short. Oh joy!!

Where I need tto vary a prescription - usually when we go away for a couple of months, I just use the "Custom Request" area on SystmOnline. I just fill out the highlighted area, and have never had my requests challenged.

upload_2020-11-29_19-54-21.png

Surely common sense would prevail, bearing in mind your surgery will be closed for several days over the holiday.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah... I debated with my endo that my Lantus was unstable. He suggested I wasn't injecting correctly.
I invited him to try a cartridge out for 18 days..? ;):banghead:

Hope yer well?

I’m doing well, you?

It is still an ongoing debate? Anyone to give you a second opinion?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, kind of new to the forum. Meichanski invited me along for a chat.
Long story short, I'm not doing to good at th moment. Recent hba1c was 133 and kidneys are stage 4. I've had a quick look around this section and it seems that this is a section of a bit of random chat. Which I feel I could really do with at the minute.
Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Welcome friend!

It’s nice to take your mind off for a bit, I really hope you receive the help you need. Make some noise until you get it.

Reactions: Lee farrington

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a strange little rash on my leg for a good few weeks now and after trying several topical treatments that were left over from previous ailments (and Mrs Urb' being able to buy absolutely anything over the counter in the Philippines) with negligible effect, I relented and contacted the quack using E-consult.

After a short phone chat he says I've tried everything he would have suggested so I have to give antibiotics a go.

2 days later I am at the pharmacy standing outside in the cold and phoning the number displayed on a board. Gave my personal details and confirmed that I had not been abroad, did not have a new cough, that I had a mask with me and that the ANTIBIOTICS were ready for collection. I was thus cleared to enter the building.

When my name was called out I stepped forward to the counter. Can you imagine my disbelief upon being presented not with ANTIBIOTICS but 1 packet of short acting insulin, 1 packet of long acting insulin and 2 boxes of needles. (Sighed) "I was expecting ANTIBIOTICS and not medication for diabetes."

Girl trots off to look at the computer and tells me there's been a mistake. Fortunately, they had the ANTIBIOTICS in stock so I got what I wanted but how hard can it be?

I think I have enough insulin in the fridge to get me through to March now, maybe that's long enough to get past any Brexit hiccups.

Oh dear, I’ll let you know when brexit and rona all blows over. I hope the antibiotics help with the rash too

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You could possibly request your doctor to give a little more to tide you over Christmas? I have a GP who ups the amount of insulin on my script just so I don’t have to repeat every month.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of interest, does plain crackers and a packet of soft mints sound like a good combo as a snack?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately I've tried that many times, and it's just ignored by whoever does the prescriptions in our surgery. Have complained, but still doesn't work. Common sense should prevail yes, but ... We shall see!! Thanks for suggesting it though.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear :( My gp back in London was quite, hmmm, what’s the word? Not very generous with prescribing insulin or strips. Stingy? Or trying to save money? Idk but he kept telling my mum that strips are expensive and that I should use it sparingly. But my nurse had my back and told my GP to prescribe more. So I don’t know if your DSN could help write to your GP to help you through the Christmas and New Years period? @Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Mei. It's normally ok if I get them on time each month. I'm on quite a lot of meds, so will need tablets as well as diabetes related items. I've decided to write to the gp, and see if I can get an earlier prescription than usual 4 weekly one, so I'm set up till after Christmas and New Year.

Reactions: Marie 2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m doing well, you?

It is still an ongoing debate? Anyone to give you a second opinion?

Yeah, all good.
Spent the afternoon filming a video for a song my band wrote. (We got this online lockdown writing session thing going on.)
... Or should I say, got my wife to shoot it around the house..?

Opinions.. Usually more than just two.. Let's not discount the DSN's "halfway house" input too, which is contrary to the endo & me.. ;)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I liked Lantus, except for the sudden lows I would sometimes get at night. Frankly it might not have completely been the Lantus's fault as at the time they thought I was a type 2 and gave me no guidance on dosing other than 1 unit for every 3 carbs, which led to a lot of trial and error of dosing.

When I ran higher numbers I found I had a longer kick sometimes up to 6 hours on Humalog. But now I've mostly used it up by 2 and 1/2 hours with a very small kick up to 3 hours. It might have a very small tail for longer, but it's not worth paying attention to as I am willing to grab pineapple, soymilk, chocolate etc for a couple of carbs to correct if needed. But that's me. Those few points can vary just because I guessed wrong about how many almonds or cashews I ate for example. Or I put on green socks.

Welcome @Lee farrington chatter away, I hope things improve for you soon.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi everyone, kind of new to the forum. Meichanski invited me along for a chat.
Long story short, I'm not doing to good at th moment. Recent hba1c was 133 and kidneys are stage 4. I've had a quick look around this section and it seems that this is a section of a bit of random chat. Which I feel I could really do with at the minute.
Looking forward to chatting with you all.
Hello @Lee farrington

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Mei. It's normally ok if I get them on time each month. I'm on quite a lot of meds, so will need tablets as well as diabetes related items. I've decided to write to the gp, and see if I can get an earlier prescription than usual 4 weekly one, so I'm set up till after Christmas and New Year.

Hopeful, I don't know how your GP's system is set up, but ours allows ordering one month's supply, every 21 days. I believe the other 7 days is to allow for it to be actioned their end, then actioned at the pharmacy, before the 28 days expire.

My modest experience is, for regular, and "always going to need", "stuff" they action it same day, then the pharmacy also action same day. If I order in the morning I can collect in the afternoon, if I'm pressed.

I have to say this has allowed me to accrue a very small cushion for those times when something goes wrong. Hospital meds are much more civilised - dispensing 6 months supply at a time.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I had my diabetes eye screening today. Apparently eye balls in good shape, what I’ve noticed is they take photographs in black and white now. I was 7.8 and 8.6 at my appointment so fairly stable? I sent my bf to Starbucks and it was like sending a lost puppy in there I got vegan cream with my Frappuccino though

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, don't know where that weekend went, still trying to get everything sorted in my now decorated and carpeted spare room. Hi @Lee farrington, welcome, is that a ferret I see with you? And yes, we do talk about all kinds of stuff, though the greatest joy of this thread is that everyone here gets what it's like living with T1.

I've had some badges you wouldn't want the past couple of days; more hypos than I care for. Think it's partly being fairly physical and also not allowing for a more pronounced effect of Lantus as I'm injecting into bits of my thighs that have never seen a needle before. Just goes to show how, for me, the effects of injecting in the same area don't take too long to have an impact on insulin take-up and using somewhere completely new changes the game. Does anyone else with a lot of years injecting find the same?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, don't know where that weekend went, still trying to get everything sorted in my now decorated and carpeted spare room. Hi @Lee farrington, welcome, is that a ferret I see with you? And yes, we do talk about all kinds of stuff, though the greatest joy of this thread is that everyone here gets what it's like living with T1.

I've had some badges you wouldn't want the past couple of days; more hypos than I care for. Think it's partly being fairly physical and also not allowing for a more pronounced effect of Lantus as I'm injecting into bits of my thighs that have never seen a needle before. Just goes to show how, for me, the effects of injecting in the same area don't take too long to have an impact on insulin take-up and using somewhere completely new changes the game. Does anyone else with a lot of years injecting find the same?

When I was on MDI, it didn’t like my arms so I didn’t really inject into my arms for a very long time. I decided to try my cannula into my arm and my pump approves.

Reactions: Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
A quick question, sorry I haven't commented on other posts but this is for my nephew. Can anyone recall the name / brand of the low carb bread that Morrisons sell?