1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @bubble_clo, welcome to the thread. Lots of great people here, either for chat, advice, support, whatever.

And hi @Wanderer89. Don't recall seeing you before, so welcome to you too. In over 35 years I've bumped into one T1 in the wild (recognsied as she was wearing a visible Libre) and the others I've met have been through courses like DAFNE or by taking part in research projects. I'd recommend both, as it's great on here and even better to meet other T1s in the flesh!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Xal

Xal · Member

@Welcome bubble_clo

I am thrilled to have had my first dose of Pfizer vaccine today. I am wondering if my BG is going to go crazy for a few days as it seems to have done for some others .

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Wanderer89

Wanderer89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, yes I have recently joined after reading some useful pages on here. Lived through my 20s with a few ups & downs & hoping to get a grip of this. I don’t have a libre metre yet but reading comments on here it’s a life changer. Don’t think my fingers can take much more! Haha

• Like Like x 3
  5. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Welcome @bubble_clo and @Wanderer89
    It is really nice to have people to chat to that understand what you are talking about or going through!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marie 2

Do get a Libre if you can. It really is a game changer and saves your fingers!! You still have to test some, but it cuts it way down and you get so much more info. A movie versus a snapshot. But one of the best things is, you can tell trends. You know if you are heading down or up or staying nice and level. That alone is extremely helpful!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    #29866 Marie 2, Feb 17, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  7. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all including @bubble_clo and @Wanderer89
    I spent yesterday in bed ..............flu, flu-like or a bad cold or side effects of Oxford AZ. I don't know but between sleeping, I read. I've got 2 books on the go. One by Bill Kitson, trashy but easy to read. Volume 1 of Gogol. I'm only on the first story but it's fun. Waiting on the table, next in line Isabel Allende's Aphrodite. Anyone reading anything good?
    [​IMG]

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone have a good day

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marie 2

@SueJB Hugs for not feeling well or a like your way for the book mention, I wasn't sure which to settle on! Right now I've been going through the Kristen Painter books on my nook. One almost right after another lol, with small breaks off and on. They are a fun supernatural romance series. A variety of supernaturals that live in a town that's a safe haven for supernaturals. Each book features one particular person. I love mysteries but like some light hearted or fun books mixed in off and on. My fun favorite for an audio book is the Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. bubble_clo

bubble_clo Type 1 · Newbie

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great! Hopefully that passes soon.

I like reading too, currently reading Haven't They Grown by Sophie Matthews. Wish I could read more than one book at a time though!

• Like Like x 1
  11. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, @SueJB hope you feel better soon. I'm re-reading the Spenser books by Robert Parker, then I've got a couple of Nelson deMille books line up. I like to read when I go to bed to switch off, but during the day, if I'm gardening or doing boring chores I listen to audiobooks. I try to have a completely different kind of book to listen to from what I'm reading otherwise it can get confusing! Some historical and sci fi/fantasy for listening, and some crime.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. SueJB

sounds fun @Marie2 might put Painter next to Allende

• Like Like x 1
  13. SueJB

@bubble_clo think that one might be about children, don't like them, they're not good for my BG or temper

• Funny Funny x 2
    #29873 SueJB, Feb 18, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  14. SueJB

@hh1 I like plays on the radio but have never taken to audio books, weird that but will check up on the others you're reading Thanks

15. Marie 2

ooo @hh1 Nelson DeMille is great isn't he!!! I almost always listen to his now on audio books.There are certain series I just like better as an audio book and after listening to one of his, that's the only way I "read" his books now. Nelson DeMille really gets into explaining events or the hows and whys like Crichton did. Although I preferred Crichton in book form. It's easier to try to understand a quantum physics explanation when reading it lol. But Crichton's Timeline I read first and then listened to it in audio books, it was a wonderful book as an audio book.

I got hooked on audio books to listen to on my commute to work. I never listen to music anymore in the car, it's always an audio book. Right now it's Jonathon Kellerman's Obsession. I save some authors for my car and others to read on my Nook.

@bubble_clo That's how you read 2 books at once lol...............one as an audio book and the other in book form! Although I have had 2 books I was reading on my Nook at once.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. karen8967

Good morning everyone cant believe its friday again already ,have a good day

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Marie 2

Made it to the dentist okay. It held off raining until the afternoon, just for me I'm sure!!!!

Have a wonderful day all!

• Like Like x 2
  18. karen8967

Happy friday FB_IMG_1613148275053.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Marie 2

I'm pretty proud of myself, but amazed. I pigged out today. Take out which has to be guessed at. Add to that a blueberry turnover and a taro donut on the same day, which I have never done.

I never went above 6.8, although I did drop to a 3.6 as my timing was a little off. But 4 hours after my last bolusing I am floating at 5.8 so room for a little bit of a drop still, waiting to see if a shoe drops and I shoot up or drop too much lol......................so many guesses at what everything should be carb wise.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. karen8967

Good morning everyone have a good weekend

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook