1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Shall try @karen8967 have such exciting things planned....a walk around the block. Because I haven’t done that since yesterday lol! To be fair husband and I are concocting our favourite Chinese for lunch. It is gin and tonic day! I have a bit of sewing to do, 2 episodes of Rebekah Martinson to watch and many more games of Rummikub to play. Rummikub has become our guilty obsession just recently and helps the day plod on enjoyably. Also, am now 2 weeks into my vaccination, so only 1 more week for some decent immunity.
    Have a good weekend everyone.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

3. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

i love to play mahjong and solitaire enjoy your walk becca and definately enjoy the chinese and gin;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Marie 2

Well hopefully it's just a visitor, but it has a home with us if it needs it. My hubby does beach clean up with a group every Sat morning and this gal jumped into one of the ladies pick up beds. She was going to take it to the Humane Society but my husband offered to take it home and try to find the owners. Our humane society is decent but not perfect, although this dog is young and friendly so it probably would have got a home. We have always picked up and taken in strays so no biggy.

She seems very well cared for and well behaved so I am really hoping there is someone out there looking for her and she was not just dumped at the beach. We have it posted on the islands sites and tomorrow we will register it with the humane society in case someone is trying to find her. Crossing my fingers, I didn't want a second dog yet, but things happen. She's a Target Spuds McKenzie dog. A Bull Terrier.

upload_2021-2-20_20-10-42.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. karen8967

Good morning everyone enjoy whats left of the weekend

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, the last two days have been very busy. I'm part of a toad patrol in my area which operates when the toads migrate across a road into our wood to spawn in the pond there. They only move after dusk, when it's more than 5 degrees and wet or damp. We work in two hour shifts after that till about 10pm, picking them up off the road and taking them about 10 metres into the wood. Luckily I didn't have to arrange the rota but I've been involved in sorting out inducting new patrollers, getting kit for everyone, signage, blah blah. Then yesterday I had two disasters. One is a blocked rainwater downpipe which I haven't managed to fix myself (very long story) and the other was managing to throw my mobile into a sink full of washing up. The mobile is now dead, so I'm off out today to get another.

The good news is that Fiasp seems to like me. My neighbours have a pizza oven in their garden, and offered to deliver me a pizza. Tricky, eh? and cake for pudding, as I'd made one and wanted to try it. Even more tricky. Stayed in the sixes from the time I ate till I went to bed, and stayed steady. Wow!

@Marie 2 your unexpected visitor's a real sweetie! This could be fate....though if she has a loving owner, fingers crossed they're reunited.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend and that I don't have any more mishaps!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Even a sloth gets fed up with the pace of life.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

What a lovely hound.

Has it not been "chipped?" (An electronic "dog tag.) NFC scan the scuff of the neck & a number comes up registered to the owner & the address on a database. Most vets, dog shelters, & possibly the police have scanners. Some highway agency have scanners too.. Unfortunatly, they sometimes need to deal with casualties regarding car collisions?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. karen8967

Good morning everyone FB_IMG_1613808632815.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Marie 2

@Jaylee I always chip my dogs. And dogs that come from most pounds have a mandatory chip before they are adopted out. They even chip dogs free here right now. But an awful lot of people, especially here it seems like, don't chip their dogs.

But I checked immediately, it's not got a chip, that would have been too easy. I already have 2 people interested in her if she doesn't find her owner. I have to keep her for 30 days I think, I have to check tomorrow. I need to get her spayed before I place her too. I haven't figured out yet if I want to adopt her out. I'm thinking since one of those people seems to really want her and their old dog just died a couple of months ago, that maybe I will let her go to them. I suppose it depends if I get attached, but for me I am still missing my Kai and not caring about adding another dog yet. I just read an article that was talking about losing a pet can be as hard as losing a loved one. I really agree about that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Afternoon guys, back to work today after weeks off of work. The last ten days I have had a sick/fit note from a GP. due to anxiety disorder, everything was getting on top of me.
    It was nice seeing the children again, but only 3 today. they seemed even noisier, as it's been very quiet here at home.
    Very tired today, as I slept badly last night and kept looking at the clock, so maybe an earlier night tonight might help.

Had my Vaccine on February 8th, a very sore arm for a couple of days and that's was it. Second dose is in April, have any of you had yours yet, mine was much earlier than expected ?

• Hug Hug x 5
  13. Jaylee

Staff Member

Looks a bit like a Staffy? If it's well behaved & jumped into one of the trucks, it may be used to traveling in a van or RV?

I lost my dog back last June, (a Cairn.) lol, he used to like jumping in my van & going on adventures. He was chipped & passported, & took trips with us across Europe, back in the day.
    If I live closer to you cross the "pond." After the 30 day probation & no owner claim. I would be tempted to give her a home...

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. karen8967

I had mine on11/02 robinredbreast i got mine earlier as i do bank work for nhs merseycare which deals with mental health like yourself sore arm for a day or two but that was it x

• Like Like x 2
  15. Marie 2

@karen8967 lol.................I remember sugar measurements, mmol versus mg and then Fahrenheit versus Celsius but I forgot about dates! I read your post at first saying you got it on Nov 2nd, and it's like I didn't think anyone got it that early maybe she meant Jan 2nd and that was still really early..................and then it dawned on me Feb 11th.............

Thanks @Jaylee she would certainly have a good home with you, but yea, logistics aren't there. Not only one pond, but 2 ponds!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Jaylee

Staff Member

Well, the dog needs a name. (If there is nothing on it's person to suggest one.)
    All this talk of "ponds," she now answers to River...?

It's a Doctor who thing... :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Robinredbreast

I still miss my Pebbles cat so much, it broke my heart when she suddenly died. I have a photo of her on my phone screen and it says,
    If love could of saved you, you'd of lived forever <3

• Hug Hug x 5
  18. Robinredbreast

How's work going for you now ?

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  19. Marie 2

@Jaylee She did pick up her head when I said River, but that could be something in my voice, I'll try again later. We've been calling her Spuds, very unoriginal and she is not answering to it lol. I was just talking to my husband about we need to find a name she responds too.

@Robinredbreast That is such a wonderful saying, I have always loved it. What a good idea.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jaylee

Staff Member

It's my understanding they work on vocal tone & inflection? So it's trying to find a name that sounds like a word with a positive experience. Other than something that might sound like its assosiated with a bad one..

If the dog was found on a beach? Then a river runs to the sea...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook