urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I hope Mrs Urb packed a load of jelly babies with your kit when she bought it in. I remember having to tot all the carb up when it was in font of me when I had a knee replacement not all that long ago and there being very little to choose from that wasn’t high sugar, high fat: you’d think carbohydrate content would have been added to the requirements given to the caterers with all the people with diabetes who end up on the Wards..... oh, that could be why so many end up there. By numbers is right. One poor nurse thought my sensor (self funded back then) was one of the ones that’d been stuck on pre op and I had to apologise profusely to her about the shriek when she made to rip it off. Sensors are too new a tech for most, and I suspect successful self-governing diabetes management is rare. Reform is needed!

Hmm, not sure about jelly babies, I have a temporary crown at the moment and was told to avoid sticky foods until the permanent one goes in this coming Thursday.

Mrs Urb brought me nuts and other snacks that I'm also trying to avoid at the moment. Nice thought but,,,

When I woke up yesterday with the 3.8, I was surprised to be presented with a bottle of Glucojuice in my favourite flavour.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
At least someone had had the foresight to order some carb catching stuff for the Ward @urbanracer. Hope you’re out again in time for the coronation of your tooth.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They initially locked my stuff in the cupboard above my bed, but at the 1st mealtime I asked a different nurse if I could have my insulin and nobody tried to take it back. Silly.

So yes I am mostly managing my own affairs but I'm on a reduced carb diet at home and here you are not in Matron's good books if you don't eat 3 carby meals a day. And without knowing the carb values, I am struggling a bit. I got a lasagne very wrong yesterday and ended up at 15mmol.

Before the op' they designated me nil-by-mouth from 2am, 2 nights in a row. I asked what I'm supposed to do if I go hypo when I'm NBM and the nurse said she would ask the doctor but I never did get an answer.

They managed me on a sliding scale for a few hours before the actual op which was all new to me.

I have been placed on the Orthopedic ward and I was the only bloke who was mobile. The others all have problems with legs/feet and need assistance. For my last night I have been moved into an isolation room so that they could give my spot to somebody else who needs assistance. It's a bit lonely as there's nobody to talk to but on the other hand, I can do what I like food/insulin wise.
Beyond belief really isn't it that we're all allowed to manage ourselves every single day, often with minimal medical input, yet the minute we become patients we're not to be trusted - nor given access to the food we choose which is vital to our diabetes management. Madness. Glad you got your stuff out of your locker!

Reactions: RVW and urbanracer

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@urbanracer I have vegan jelly babies so I don't know if they are different, but I actually like to suck on them for a faster response.

You would think with all the type1's, but also the type 2's on insulin that they would be supplying a carb amount. But the problem, it would be a guess still I bet. For variety purposes, availability of foods and it's inherent variance costs issues, it's probably easier to wing it on what's served still with what's being bought. I would assume availability of certain foods at certain costs is probably the most driving factor of what's served.

But can you imagine the guessing that goes on with people that aren't used to guessing or with some people that aren't used to even deciding yet on amounts needed? That is tough sometimes even when you are used to it.

Reactions: hh1 and urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At home my glucose levels are always high in the morning, here in hospital, they always seem to be low. 3.8 yesterday and a slightly better 4.8 today. Don't understand why this is happening but hey ho.

Got moved twice yesterday. First time at 8.30am, wheeled another bloke in whilst I was still eating my breakfast and they stuck me in an isolation room for the day. Then I was just nodding off at around 11pm when I was told they were moving me again. I have woken this morning as the only person on a 6 bed ward.

Due to see doc this morning and have dressing changed and maybe a decision about whether I can go home or not.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all. @urbanracer, experience shows it’s not just the pandemic that keeps we T1s away from going to a hospital, unless it’s for a clinic visit, and even then . . . Back when I was first assuming the mantle of an Outspoken Old Biddy I wrote to a couple of hospital managers and the PALS teams at two hospitals to request that the foodstuffs in the cafe outlets were better for patients and visitors. The shelves are crammed with sweets and high fat and sugar sandwiches. They still are but there’s now a fresh fruit option too, which was probably nothing to do with my letters. The facilities are outsourced, like school meals.
Hope you get moved again today - to your home.
How’s your leg this morning @Marie 2?
Those of you in the West Country and Hawaii, please blow some warmer, slightly wetter air this way, it’s not good for late spring; growth, flowers and leaves are about two weeks behind. That said, there are plenty of the ‘wild’ plants and ‘weeds’ I don’t take out to provide enough colour and pleasure. Just need a bit more sun.
I had a great solo walk to a local bluebell patch yesterday (husband had holed up with a post 2nd dose headache/migraine) and it was glorious. And peaceful. Get you all to some bluebells!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am better, I can bend my knee, although still not walking great. And thank goodness, every movement does not make my ribs hurt! So I have improved in just a day so that is uplifting. My back is cramping up easily but hopefully it settles down.

But I actually got on my exercise bike for a tenth of a mile only and it seemed to hold up fine, so I'm hoping that means it's able to heal okay without something more major needing to be done! ( I usually ride it 10 miles every day) Although my ribs were causing the worse pain, even breathing hurt yesterday. But today it's just a soreness. No pain pills today, yesterday it was codeine and paracetamol all day and night.

So I am much happier today!

@urbanracer I hope the news will be better for you too and you get to go home soon all healed up!

@Fairygodmother I would be happy if I could blow some wetness your way, but as for the sun I've been hoping for more of that too! Although sigh...............since that I can't swim right now, watch the sun shine!!!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doc has been round. Said "I know it looks like a dog's been chewing it but I'm pleased with that".

So I'm going to get 1 more I.V antibiotic before I go and then I'll be evicted this afternoon with my thumb still attached to my hand which is a bonus.

On the right track so far.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, how nice to check in and see good news! @Marie 2's feeling better, @Fairygodmother's enjoying the spring plants and @urbanracer is still in one piece and hopefully going home! It's been quite an eventful week one way and another.

I 'd like to blow some warm winds somewhere, but here in Somerset the wind has a spiteful edge which overpowers the full-on sun we're enjoying and contributes to everything drying out. My biggest garden problem at the moment is watering all the things I've got in pots - just way, way too many - awaiting clearing of some borders and replanting. But the weather's good enough to be outside, so that's where I'm off to now. Hope everyone's day continues on a positive note!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
After all the clouds yesterday, the sun eventually appeared: thank you whoever huffed strongly enough. It was ruddy freezing though!
Just another ten days or so before second dose immunity strengthens then can’t wait to see more friends, it’ll take these little old grey cells into new things to focus on. Woohoo.

Reactions: Hopeful34 and hh1

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hope you’re home and feeling a bit less diachallenged now @urbanracer, and your thumb’s healing.

Thanks @Fairygodmother ! Yes I am home now and enjoying home brewed tea and a proper night's sleep without being woken. Doing my best to keep the right hand above the level of the heart as instructed by the doc. Mrs Urb is off shift today and she's being a star as regards helping out with things.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Fairygodmother ! Yes I am home now and enjoying home brewed tea and a proper night's sleep without being woken. Doing my best to keep the right hand above the level of the heart as instructed by the doc. Mrs Urb is off shift today and she's being a star as regards helping out with things.

Glad yer home Urb, that should help things along..
Has your arm been strapped up " first aid style?" (I don't know what else to call it.) Half Nelson??

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Glad yer home Urb, that should help things along..
Has your arm been strapped up " first aid style?" (I don't know what else to call it.) Half Nelson??

No strap, but I walked the Mrs to work this morning with my coat half undone and my hand resting on top of the part opened zip. Joked with the Mrs that "I am Napoleon now."

The thumb doesn't throb so much when I lower my arm now - s'pose that's a good sign.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all. Nothing much going on here, apart from digging out the old, very old, compost (my alter ego?). I had a good time doing it yesterday and found lots of fungi threads. Husband was out hitting a little white ball. I’ve put three wheelbarrow loads in the new bed and am hoping the fungi are benevolent and aren’t something that’ll kill stuff. More to do today.
But . . . compost moving tea break yesterday was interrupted by a resounding tinkle at the bottom of the garden. No, it wasn’t a fox having a pee but a cricket ball from the school nets which are in a sports field behind our garden breaking a greenhouse window. I found my inner firm but decent old biddy and have hopes I’ve arranged that the school will send someone to replace it ASAP and to mend the hole in the nets. They were very apologetic, very polite, and I did feel a little guilty that the sports teacher was treating me like the Head. Luckily none of the pupils were close. He asked if he could have his ball back, too. They can have it back when the greenhouse is repaired. Where are the Bash Street Kids? Let me get at ‘em.
Some time was spent picking up big bits of glass, and pinching tiny bits of glass out of seed trays.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My knee is doing great, I'm even doing my 10 miles on my exercise bike. Woohoo!!! Because she hit my knee so hard I really thought I was in trouble. She is not happy with us today as we got her spayed. She has been complaining.

Bad news, my ribs are worse. It doesn't even feel like I fell that hard on them but my arm was directly under the spot that hurts. Today it is hurting to even breath again and now I know why they gave me a breathing measure tool because I do not want to take deep breathes. I sent an e-mail to my doctor and probably will hear back from her tomorrow. Probably more x-rays. I dislocated the joint material in that same area years ago so it could just be that again. Sigh, either way nothing can really be done, it will just take time to heal.