1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

PS, younger daughter’s 39 again today. Wonder how old she’ll be before she can have a great big crowded 40th birthday party?
    On that note, it’s my turn to host the book club this month. There are nine of us, plus the husband of the one who has a glioblastoma in her brain. (A separate heartbreaking thing) I think if guidelines change we’ll be able to meet in the garden here. They’d need to go through the house to get to the garden, and the only lavatory we have is upstairs. I confess I’m feeling a little nervous about it. A few of them have continued contact with grandchildren, and children, throughout. I’m envious of those ones.
    We’ve all had our second vaccine doses, either the AZ or the Fizzer. We’re all over 70. A couple of them are a bit deaf and even without that our gatherings can get noisy, lots of laughter and several conversations going on at once.
    What would you do?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Oddly, I did a breif stint working for a traffic survey company in the south west UK. (They collate al sorts of data.)
    You notice a lot of stuff regarding the flow of traffic. What I did see was the waiting time at the back of a queue in lights tends to be the same as if I was at the front on a red? Lol, except in "rush hour.."

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Fairygodmother

But the bubble, surely, is medical equipment. Will it have been ticked as medical equipment on the import forms? It’s a nightmare.
    I’m hoping younger daughter’s birthday present, a Withings watch, falls between the medical and health lines, but how can the sender know that she’s prone to episodes of low blood pressure? That she was deemed medically vulnerable and thus had a vaccine earlier than her older sister because of problems with her liver and borderline gestational diabetes? We think. Not sure yet why she’s classed as vulnerable.
    I’m also hoping she’s not going to get a whacking great bill for import duty. We’ll pay, of course, if she does, and I’m giving cat advance warnings that he’ll be living on dustbin scraps if that happens, no more lobster thermidor and caviar.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Jaylee

Staff Member

I think this where the line gets blurred? Logically, It's an aftermarket "add on." An NTC scanner & transmitter.
    Just an electronic device.
    Though reports are great on it's function from users with it's game changing qualities with BG managment & the tech is clever. It isn't part of the "hoops" Abbott had to jump through with the actual sensor..?

That's my reasoning on it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@Fairygodmother.

We are trying to figure out what's safe and what's not right now too. We are both vaccinated, but we are having the biggest surge on our island we've ever had. We actually have true community spread now. They laxed the rules about the second test for tourists and laxed the rules for inter island travel for residents and bam 10 days later we were not looking good. Still low comparative to other places but a 5th of all our cases in less than 2 weeks. With all the variants and vaccinations not completely working etc it makes you think about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Fairygodmother

I think I’ll wait until nearer the time, it won’t be until the end of this month, and see what’s happening with variants, travel, opening up, numbers etc. @Marie 2. I’m really sorry it’s become more prevalent in Hawaii. I think we T1s, who know how even a small brush with infective invaders can mean blood sugar mayhem, are nervous about talking chances.
    Talking of which, how’s your thumb today @urbanracer?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Nothing much to report @Fairygodmother. A few twinges of pain that one might normally expect from a wound that is trying to heal. At least I hope that's all it is as cannot see what's going on under the bandages.
    I was instructed to go to A+E by 8:30 Sunday morning and ask for Alan who is a lead nurse and will change the dressing before the department gets too busy.
    I now have an appointment to see the Orthopedic consultant on Tuesday afternoon too. Hoping he's going to provide some kind of care plan going forward.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I didn't know there was such a thing, but I have been to Abbey House gardens in Malmesbury, which was famous for the 'naked gardeners', a couple who did indeed garden naked or partly dressed. He was around, didn't see her, certainly wasn't part of the attraction of a really lovely garden. It was sold a couple of years ago after the couple split up but the gardens are still open. Haven't been since it was sold, but Malmesbury itself is worth a visit too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone enjoy the rest of the bank holiday

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone and particularly @karen8967 who keeps popping in to say Hello.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi FG, I hope you are keeping well. I'm ok thank you.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Jaylee

Staff Member

That's about half hour drive from me..
    To be frank, I don't see the practicality on naturist gardening.?
    I'm more into the landscaping side of stuff. Timber or brick work.. Slabbing? So definately not practical.

Gone "skinny dipping" on a designated beach though. (Only because I felt "over dressed.")
    Quite liberating.. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Fairygodmother

Hi, it’s good to hear that you’re ok in these Covid times. Stay well. Hope your family’s also ok and that life’s not thrown too many spanners in the works.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Fairygodmother

Good morning all, may there be no silly stuff from bloods and may all bank holiday barbecues be just as delicious indoors if it rains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Jaylee

Staff Member

Hi, I got just two choices today. Go out & mess with my van.. (Small but non vital electrical issue.)
    Or if it rains. Do some music..

Lol, an update on the Bubble just came through.. (Email & text from DHL.) should be here on Friday.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  18. Fairygodmother

That’s cheerful: the bubble’s on it’s way. Hip hip hip hooray. Another tech fest’s imminent @Jaylee

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jaylee

Staff Member

Yep, I'm a patient guy.. The corespondence was specific with "your order from Bubblan." &. Wot not.
    So I knew it wasn't the usual. "We tried to deliver your package. The one you ordered, but you weren't in.. So if you would like to click here to arrange a resend? Unfortunately, we will have to take a payment for a resend....." Scam!

We will soon find out if this works with the Watlaa.. If not. I will have one on charge whilst the other is bridging with xdrip on my aging phone I have no plans to replace either devices. (Though the Bubble battery life is reported to be pretty good.)
    I've already found a workaround with the L2 algorithm on the phone Xdrip..
    At the moment the Watlaa is just a nice basic timepiece.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook