Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And now I have revived my old Samsung J3 and downloaded Diabox on that phone as well. Same issue. Scans fine, no bluetooth connection.
I must be making a very simple mistake but what?

Given up now for the day, before phones and sensors start flying through the room.

Reactions: RVW

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
And now I have revived my old Samsung J3 and downloaded Diabox on that phone as well. Same issue. Scans fine, no bluetooth connection.
I must be making a very simple mistake but what?

Given up now for the day, before phones and sensors start flying through the room.

Antje, I am not using this hardware but I have just looked at the Diabox Bubblan website and the install instructions state to enable NFC??

https://www.bubblan.org/diabox/

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Antje, I am not using this hardware but I have just looked at the Diabox Bubblan website and the install instructions state to enable NFC??

https://www.bubblan.org/diabox/
NFC is on, and works, as that's what's used for the scanning.
The fun of the bluetooth part is that it will show my BG on my phone (and ultimately a smartwatch) without the constant Skibidi-ing, and waiting for my phone to react (or not, at the first three tries), and debating fiddling with my phone while driving or pulling over...
It seems great to only have to take a glance at your wrist to know what diabetes is up to!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin’ Karen, mornin’ all. Have a good day.
Catching up.
Hope your thumb’s still kicking out the trespassing bacteria @urbanracer!
Oh yes, @Antje77, checking bloods by glancing at a watch is fabulous. However, the one I use has a screen that’s activated by touch and if my hands are covered in soil, cooking and mixing yumstuff, deep in washing, glue, paint, etc, it’s a bit of a process. I have found, though, that my gardening gloves will act like a human finger as long as I get the thickest gunk off them first. The alarm going makes the screen light up so I also have to move fast enough to see it and hope I’ll be able to read the red numerals if the outdoor light is strong and I’m not wearing reading glasses.
Having Diabox speak bloods out when driving seems perfect. Hope you and @Jaylee get everything sorted.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
the one I use has a screen that’s activated by touch and if my hands are covered in soil, cooking and mixing yumstuff, deep in washing, glue, paint, etc, it’s a bit of a process.
Have you tried touching the watch with your nose?
I have no experience with smartwatches but it seems a simple solution to me.

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Catching up.

Thanks @Fairygodmother

I am just back from the hospital where the consultant picked a lump of dead grey tissue out of my thumb leaving a hole about 10mm in diameter. With a big smile he tells me the wound looks 'pink and healthy'. I asked 'is all that going to grow back:woot::yuck:? He replies 'Yep, should do' and then 'come back and see me Friday, you don't need an appointment, just rock up at 9am'.

On the one hand I'm pleased that he thinks everything is going well, on the other hand (no pun intended) I am a bit down about the prospect of spending most of the summer bandaged up. And just as most people are starting to get back to some kind of normal.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mornin’ Karen, mornin’ all. Have a good day.
Catching up.
Oh yes, @Antje77, checking bloods by glancing at a watch is fabulous. However, the one I use has a screen that’s activated by touch and if my hands are covered in soil, cooking and mixing yumstuff, deep in washing, glue, paint, etc, it’s a bit of a process. I have found, though, that my gardening gloves will act like a human finger as long as I get the thickest gunk off them first. The alarm going makes the screen light up so I also have to move fast enough to see it and hope I’ll be able to read the red numerals if the outdoor light is strong and I’m not wearing reading glasses.
Having Diabox speak bloods out when driving seems perfect. Hope you and @Jaylee get everything sorted.

I've got Diabox to speak my bloods.. Sounds like the shipping forcast?

The Watlaa?? You don't wanna know... :banghead: I lost connection with it whilst updating firmware. & now I have a bracelet.
This thing is dead.. Can't seem to charge it can't seem to turn it on..
I'm still messing about with it as I type this..

Stick with Libre 1 if you use it on your Watlaa.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

The Watlaa?? You don't wanna know... :banghead: I lost connection with it whilst updating firmware. & now I have a bracelet.

this is the way todo it

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this is the way todo it

Nice... :cool:

I do own an iPad? & also an android phone.. However as confident as i am with public speaking. (I do two bands.)
I don't feel comfortable voice commanding my devices? Let alone the tech blurting out my BG to all ensundry?
A quick discrete glance is all I realy wish for..

Historically, I don't have a lot of luck with wrist watches either? I've busted a fair few in my time..

Having said all that. It would be nice to have something like this hands free whilst in my van? Sort of off the stereo?
At the moment, I have an updated readout on the A pillar using my phone on a magnetic holder.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Nice... :cool:

I do own an iPad? & also an android phone.. However as confident as i am with public speaking. (I do two bands.)
I don't feel comfortable voice commanding my devices? Let alone the tech blurting out my BG to all ensundry?
A quick discrete glance is all I realy wish for..

Historically, I don't have a lot of luck with wrist watches either? I've busted a fair few in my time..

Having said all that. It would be nice to have something like this hands free whilst in my van? Sort of off the stereo?
At the moment, I have an updated readout on the A pillar using my phone on a magnetic holder.

Where I drive hazchem on hgv we are strictly banned from using handheld devices whilst driving.. there are cameras in the cab.. so this was a good option for me at that time..

Now I have a pump and Dexcom I don’t worry so much… no beeping = no issue

And dex shows on the watch face too

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1619688807018.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
morning all, ridiculously busy with all kinds of things this week, some to do with volunteering, some just stuff that has to be done, and at every turn someone else wants something. @urbanracer good to hear it's finally going well with your thumb, and whilst it may take a while, at least it's going in the right direction.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Good morning everyone! The sun is out but I haven't been swimming as my ribs are still hurting and they are trying to decide why. 3 x-rays later now lol.............they recognized me at x-ray the last time! I've been told to not swim in the ocean just in case yet. No one has seen a fracture, but they are talking about really studying the x-rays more if needed. But years ago I dislocated the joint material of my ribs and that took just as long to heal as a fracture, and that rib still likes to move way more than a floating rib is supposed to, so I have a sneaky suspicion that is what is causing issues.

It is way better at least so hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I absolutely use the watlaa; I really appreciate not having to stop, free a hand and root out a phone to see my bloods. I did invest in an old bumbag so I could have the phone with me at all times when out and about but it was uncomfortable. Libre 1 for me for as long as it’s available, if the Consultant agrees.

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you tried touching the watch with your nose?
I have no experience with smartwatches but it seems a simple solution to me.
I hadn’t thought of this, I’ll give it a go.

Reactions: Marie 2