1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello again,

I’m just checking in on everyone, how is everyone?

I read a news article that was very sad. :( IMG_3713.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I feel the issue with the Watlaa isn't the connection at that time. I don't think it hadn't been lost during the update, I would have at least a working watch?

My phone actually still sees the device. I just can't do anything else with it. The app keeps saying, "searching for updates."
    What I have noticed lately is I have to authorise security on my phone browser to visit the Watlaa site? (I keep getting told the site is dodgy, do I wish to proceed.. ) Some sort of access permissions on my phone somewhere?
    Soooo, now I'm wondering if my phone security is the issue finding the firmware..

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone happy friday FB_IMG_1619071255541.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Can someone tell me if a phone should 'see' the Libre 2 when you check in Bluetooth?
    I'm starting to think I can't get the alarms on Librelink or the Diabox app to work because my first Libre 2 has a faulty bluetooth thingy.
    If that is the case I can keep fiddling with the settings in my phone until the end of time but nothing will happen of course.

I have checked if the bluetooth in my phone works correctly by borrowing my neighbour's headphones to test. No problem, so the bluetooth on my phone works.

[​IMG]

• Hug Hug x 2
  5. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Mine looks like this & my alarm went off this morning

IMG_8712.jpg

6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you!
    So the thing listed as 'accessory' is your sensor?
    In that case I suspect I simply have a faulty sensor.

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. TashT1

I’m assuming so as I don’t use Bluetooth for anything else. My first sensor didn’t have alarms working because I forgot to turn everything on before scanning. Could a setting have been off when activating? Perhaps Abbott will replace it for you either way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

That's possible. Would this mess up the bluetooth connection for the life of the sensor?

I'm afraid Abbott won't replace. Last time they told me my phone wasn't on their (very short) list of approved phones so they wouldn't look further into my questions.

• Hug Hug x 1
  9. TashT1

Ah sorry you can’t get an easy replacement. Yeh I think you have 1 chance to connect at activation.

Before I activated the second one I made sure everything was on & it worked.

10. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed my second one will work!
    Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Hello...

Hadn't quite realised how long I'd been silent and almost inactive here! I have been reading at weekends so I'm fairly up-to-date with everyone.

Working in education is very, very grim at the moment. The rollercoaster of all being in the workplace, mixing being in the workplace with some on-line, then suddenly all being online again is proving very exhausting. Still, being back in isolation again is less exhausting than previous ones and so we decided, as a group, we were in a pretty good place so this period of time we're focusing on making sure everyone's OK rather than stressing over targets and achievements.

But, I'm alive, well, fully vaccinated, and with reasonable blood sugars despite the low levels of current physical activity! One of the pluses of all this is I can swing between active days and inactive days with my ratios much more confidently than pre-pandemic days.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I forgot to split dose for a tortellini pasta lunch today and chased the lows for 2-3 hours this afternoon then spent another hour grabbing the high. I’m now heartily sick of T1, cross that I’ve had to cancel and reschedule two events: I’m liviD.

• Hug Hug x 4
  13. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Japes great to know you are ok.
    @Fairygodmother ooh I feel your pain. If only it was just as easy as injecting and eating. So many nuances, that even the medical profession overseeing us have no real understanding of. The use of technology has shown diabetes up to what really happens behind our backs.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Hugs @Fairygodmother it can be very irritating.

I'm going to get Afrezza and I have a pulmonary function test scheduled in a couple of weeks that's required first. It would have been nice if Fiasp had worked for me but it didn't. So on to Afrezza, just for those off and on highs, I will still have Humalog in my pump.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  15. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone FB_IMG_1617724363858.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Fairygodmother

Good to hear you’re here @Japes. Yes, working in education is tough right now; it’s exhaustingly taxing. Older daughter’s experiences and frustrations with the way the ‘rules’ lag behind the ‘realities’ plus the extra work and pupil support over the last year has made me very grateful that I’ve retired.
    I do still miss the students though and the good times in the staff room when it was sometimes hard to quell the laughter in time to put on a more mature face.
    I suspect you often have to deal with a different set of challenges.

17. Fairygodmother

Thank you for commiserations @becca59 and @Marie 2. I was cross with myself. I even failed to be cross enough to release enough adrenaline to raise blood sugars: double inadequacy.
    I saw your reference on another thread his morning to the development of an integrated cgm and pump, a looping pump, @urbanracer - I suspect that by the time it’s approved by NICE I’ll be far too old or seeing the daisies from the other side, but oh my, I want one of those!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@Fairygodmother
    A Tandem Control IQ pump maybe? It's a pump linked to a Dexcom, "Advanced hybrid closed loop technology".

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Fairygodmother

The way it works this side of the pond the Consultant would need to authorise that I have a pump and my bloods have, so far, been too good for that to happen. I couldn’t afford to self fund a pump so I think the only way for me to get one would be to the endure months of misery that’d accompany letting my bloods go to pot.

• Hug Hug x 1
  20. searley

searley Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Fairygodmother i have this pump in the UK and the criteria as you say is quite tough.. if you have good control the chances of getting is almost zero.. the cost to buy is about £3k and about £1800 for consumables each year without the dexcom

you alway have the option of winning the lottery :) if only!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook