Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
So sorry you had to eat alone in the garden, and there was no understanding from anyone, that's really sad, especially when you had debated whether to go or not, and had made the effort to be there. Have to agree, I'd have done the same as you. Anyone not type 1 can't understand what it feels like, but it's sad they couldn't make the effort to make sure everyone that was there could eat together. Really feel for you, sending big hugs x
Thank you. Only other T1s and others with the diabeast or with a vulnerability can understand. Although there are, I have to admit, some with none of those who can get it. I worry sometimes that I may be cracking up, and then I come on here for reassurance.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. Only other T1s and others with the diabeast or with a vulnerability can understand. Although there are, I have to admit, some with none of those who can get it. I worry sometimes that I may be cracking up, and then I come on here for reassurance.
Oh, you're not cracking up, you're just tired and have had a rubbish day and feeling alone, because you did all this thinking about if and how to go, and it was just dismissed like that.
A stupid day with stupid people which are actually ok because they're your friends so you don't want to feel they're stupid but they were stupid nonetheless today and then there were those stupid road workers too causing you to have a stupid delay so now you go pour yourself a bath or a drink or chocolate or all three and things will be better tomorrow!

And have a nice otter hug too!
upload_2021-9-4_20-45-50.jpeg

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh, you're not cracking up, you're just tired and have had a rubbish day and feeling alone, because you did all this thinking about if and how to go, and it was just dismissed like that.
A stupid day with stupid people which are actually ok because they're your friends so you don't want to feel they're stupid but they were stupid nonetheless today and then there were those stupid road workers too causing you to have a stupid delay so now you go pour yourself a bath or a drink or chocolate or all three and things will be better tomorrow!

And have a nice otter hug too!
View attachment 51031
Yea, coffee, secco, and when stress high subsided husband provided supper followed by a slice of the plum cake I made with our plums. Cat sat on lap. And all you lovely people. I’m ok now. Still a bit shocked by the way they behaved though.
I’ve got a Hoya layering to take to a much more thoughtful friend next week so that will be a good antidote.
Hope the rest of the weekend brings everyone sunshine and sparkles, and quite a few smiles.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning Karen, good morning everyone. Sun’s up and shining here, husband’s washing up, today’s going to be a good one! For everyone!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry @Fairygodmother Some people seem oblivious to the danger out there from covid still at times, especially when you have a problem that puts you at higher risk. We have an uncontrolled surge going on and plenty of people that have been vaccinated. They just highlighted someone on our island news that was vaccinated and doesn't have a clue where they got it, has diabetes and is in the ICU at the hospital. His wife ended up testing positive and their 1/1/2 year old daughter too. He was telling everyone to be careful even if vaccinated. Better to be safe than sorry.

At @Japes, people don't get it. I think part of the problem is there is so many type 2's that people know and now everyone just assumes it's the same. I even had a medical person, she had a degree, I just don't remember what, wasn't a doctor, when I was mentioning my high BG's from snorkeling that said to me can't I plan for it the night before so it doesn't happen. That really threw me! This was about 8 months ago. It still shocks me when even medical people don't have a clue. Unless a "normal" knows an actual type 1, or has been around one enough, they really don't seem to understand.

Sent my hubby out snorkeling by himself at our favorite spot yesterday, really a lot of crude in the water and murky. He doesn't seem to mind but I do! And then today he finally got a picture of the shark that is in the protected pools he always likes to swim at. You can see the shape, can't mistake that, but the water there was very murky too so it's very faint. Now mind you before anyone goes a "shark", it's a baby shark, 2 feet long that got into the protected pools and either doesn't want to leave or can't figure out how too. The rocks that protect the pools need some work to shore them up more as waves are coming over them pretty easily right now during high tide. Eventually they fix it. But there is a sign up warning people that's there's a baby shark in the pools to stay out. That's mostly for tourists. They had a barracuda last year, about a 3 foot one that was in the pools for about a year and never bothered anyone until someone decided to tease it and got bit. You'd see it zipping by you or swimming around people that were oblivious and it was kind of cool. But after that they had to figure out how to catch it to put it on the other side of the rocks to the open waters. Everything is protected by law in the pools which I'm happy about.

I told him we should send his family the picture of the shark that he saw lol. You can't tell the size of it at all. It looks like it could be 8 feet long with the picture taken from farther away!!!!! Not 2 feet long and 6 feet away!

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh how lovely to have a baby shark to visit @Marie 2! I know some people will think I’m daft, but for me baby sharks are sweet. Let us know the reaction to the photo if you share it. We saw a fair few babies in the shallows the shore side of a reef in our younger days. I think they head to places where they’re protected from bigger predators until they grow old enough to join them.
That was when we had 2 incomes and no desire for a bigger house, new furniture or designer clothes, we were very lucky! It’s fantastic that Type Ones can get diver training too, they used to be barred. It was only NAUI who’d accept me when I did it in 1990.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry @Fairygodmother Some people seem oblivious to the danger out there from covid still at times, especially when you have a problem that puts you at higher risk. We have an uncontrolled surge going on and plenty of people that have been vaccinated. They just highlighted someone on our island news that was vaccinated and doesn't have a clue where they got it, has diabetes and is in the ICU at the hospital. His wife ended up testing positive and their 1/1/2 year old daughter too. He was telling everyone to be careful even if vaccinated. Better to be safe than sorry.

At @Japes, people don't get it. I think part of the problem is there is so many type 2's that people know and now everyone just assumes it's the same. I even had a medical person, she had a degree, I just don't remember what, wasn't a doctor, when I was mentioning my high BG's from snorkeling that said to me can't I plan for it the night before so it doesn't happen. That really threw me! This was about 8 months ago. It still shocks me when even medical people don't have a clue. Unless a "normal" knows an actual type 1, or has been around one enough, they really don't seem to understand.

Sent my hubby out snorkeling by himself at our favorite spot yesterday, really a lot of crude in the water and murky. He doesn't seem to mind but I do! And today he finally got a picture of the shark that is in the protected pools he always likes to swim at. You can see the shape, can't mistake that, but the water there was very murky too so it's very faint. Now mind you before anyone goes a "shark", it's a baby shark, 2 feet long that got into the protected pools and either doesn't want to leave or can't figure out how too. The rocks that protect the pools need some work to shore them up more as waves are coming over them pretty easily right now during high tide. Eventually they fix it. But there is a sign up warning people that's there's a baby shark in the pools to stay out. That's mostly for tourists. They had a barracuda last year, about a 3 foot one that was in the pools for about a year and never bothered anyone until someone decided to tease it and got bit. You'd see it zipping by you or swimming around people that were oblivious and it was kind of cool. But after that they had to figure out how to catch it to put it on the other side of the rocks to the open waters. Everything is protected by law in the pools which I'm happy about.

I told him we should send his family the picture of the shark that he saw lol. You can't tell the size of it at all. It looks like it could be 8 feet long with the picture taken from farther away!!!!! Not 2 feet long and 6 feet away!
Stay safe in that uncontrolled surge!!!!

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all, mornin’ Karen the Early.

Have a decent dog walking, snorkelling, working, cat herding, carb calculating, sugar monitoring day!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, out early dog walking as it's going to heat up quickly today. @Marie 2 sounds like snorkelling with sharks is safer than talking to people!
Have a good day all, hope you get the weather you want

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Trying to make the most of our newly acquired English Heritage membership, I had a weekend away with Mrs Urb visiting sites around the Dover area. Familiar hypo feelings whilst down in the 'secret' tunnels of Dover Castle and not allowed to eat or drink so I was 2.9 by the time we got topside.
Necked some Glucojuice to sort out the immediate problem then we went looking for somewhere to eat before the 2hr drive home. Deliberately under bolused for lasagne and garlic bread in the hope of making it home without any further hypo problems but didn't expect to be 17.9 by the time we put our feet up.
Diabetes is such a larfff innit.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh no urbanracer. Glad your bg didn't go any lower whilst underground, and you made it to the top ok. Yes at times diabetes can choose the worst possible moments to be a right madam!! Hope your thumb is feeling better.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Oh no urbanracer. Glad your bg didn't go any lower whilst underground, and you made it to the top ok. Yes at times diabetes can choose the worst possible moments to be a right madam!! Hope your thumb is feeling better.

After "growing a bug" to quote the consultant, my thumb is back in bandages and I am back on antibiotics. But he wasn't too concerned and he sees the antibiotics as a precaution because I am diabetic.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear that, hope the antibiotics soon clear up this latest infection. You've had such a going on with your thumb over the last few months. Take care.

Reactions: urbanracer

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You’re much more law abiding than me @urbanracer when a hypo happens, I’d have quietly eaten a jelly baby and explained why if challenged, if my hypo brain found the right words.
I found the tunnels at Dover Castle a bit sad, so much of humans’ history seems to have been involved in threats and battles. The carving out of long tunnels was certainly a triumph of engineering, like the first goes at a tunnel under the channel. Thinking of which, was it clear enough to see France when you were in Dover?
Really sorry that your thumb’s back in bandages, and refusing to become healthy. It’s a nasty injury. Hope the antibiotics do their stuff!

Reactions: urbanracer

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I agree @Fairygodmother the candy would have been out and I would have dared them if challenged would they want someone passed out and worse problems.

@urbanracer I am so sorry to hear about your thumb. That is awful. Hopefully it clears up fast this time around.

I have fond memories of visiting castles when I was very young and my Dad was stationed in Germany. I also have a memory of a horrendous hailstorm and a drunk driver on a bulldozer on the way to see one.

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, @urbanracer that's bad news,hope it all clears up soon. How long has it been going on for now? And I'm with the others who've said they'd've dived for something to stop a hypo - always have jelly babies my pocket.

The promised mini heatwave hit yesterday and is likely to continue from hot into very hot today. Apart from a necessary trip for food shopping I think I'll be mainly shut indoors if we're going to reach 30C. Hope anyone else in high temperatures can find a way to stay comfortable.

Reactions: karen8967