Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, health woes here too today. Long story short I've been diagnosed with thrombo phlebitis in my left leg. Was advised by NHS 111 to go to an MIU on Sunday because of symproms; they set up the proces for me to go to my local hospital yesterday where I had an ultrasound and blood test to check for DVT; in and out in an hour and a quarter, monumentally good service with fantastic people every step of the way. I feel very lucky that a potentially worrying experience was made very easy and in fact pleasant with some of the HCPs I encountered. I'm sorry your story is so much at the other end of the scale @Hopeful34 and really hope the cystitis clears up very quickly.

@Japes fingers crossed the return to work goes smoothly, hope it's happier than you anticipate.

And finally, in other news, my Libre fell off 36 hours before it was due to expire. I know it's not long, but I'm still going to phone Abbott; if you think about it, if everybody's did that and weren't replaced by Abbott (and yes, I know they don't all fall off though some must) the NHS would be paying way more than it needs to for additional sensors. I even had hydrofilm over the top, which I'd had to trim as that was starting to peel, so everything fell off at once. Just none of this seems to stick to me at all. I'm fascinated when people talk about the lengths to which they have to go to remove a sensor after a fortnight; I just lift mine off!

Reactions: RVW and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I use Skin Tac on mine and have to pry them off, even with the underwater adventures they have. I'm not sure if you can get Skin Tac there easily? It's popular stuff here.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope your leg soon gets better @hh1. Phlebitis is very unpleasant and painful. Glad you had a good experience with the NHS, it's good to hear positive stories.

Nurse rang at lunchtime, very quick call which was fine, until the antibiotics were delivered, and they were useless. :banghead::banghead::banghead: I'd very clearly said what I always had, as they were the only ones that worked and I could take. So another call to surgery, and so far no antibiotics!! Maybe tomorrow??? Not holding my breath!!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, thanks @Marie 2, yes, I can get Skin Tac here. I've resisted it till now as I get dermatitis/exzema (depends which doctor I see!) so I try to avoid anythnin which might set it off. As some people seem to use it as a barrier to adhesive because of sensitivity I'll give it a try.

Have a good day all, autumn has arrived in Somerset it's cold and windy and grey, hope it's better where you are!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have adhesive allergies too. I have a list of allergies lol. But Skin Tac does not bother me. I think it's rarer that it does but I have heard of a few people that can't use it.

I am actually allergic to gold and silver...........my hubby has saved a lot of money over the years!!!!!! Although I do require flowers for Valentines, my birthday and our anniversary. On his own years and years ago, he started to get me a yellow rose (my favorite) one for every year we were married on our anniversary..............it's now up to 44.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning all, and hugs from me to the sorely-poorly ones too. So frustratingly painful not to get the right antibiotics and prolong cystitis agonies. Hope the phlebitis clears up swiftly, not good!.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1630664577068.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, weather here has gone from mid-autumn to high summer! 21C here today rising to 27C by Tuesday. Don't get me wrong, I was bored with digging out sweaters to wear, I just find it hard to adjust to the huge temperature swings. It messes with my diabetes when it's hot, and I find 27C uncomfortable. I love a good Indian summer, but we're due to plunge back down into rain again on Thursday. Hope you all get the weather you want and have a good weekend.

Reactions: karen8967

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 I totally get the weather swings being hard to adjust to! I am anticipating potential chaos with my diabetes for the next couple of weeks or so without the addition of the weather. Not least is the massive change to my lunchtime. I've worked on a 12.00 or 12.15 lunch ever since going onto insulin and this year is going to be 12.45. Doesn't, at one level, sound much, but until I know how the activity levels pan out for all of us, there's potential there for three of us in the room to go pre-lunch hypo. I've added extra snacks into today's morning shop. Which doesn't please me as I prefer not to get into a routine of snacking if I can avoid it at work.

Oh well...

I didn't get to meet the new student, on the "Come and meet everyone before actually starting" day, who is coming under my tender care for diabetes support, but, yes, that's me at what is becoming the usual 2. There is a 3rd student in the group but a T2 diet and meds controlled one who is independent other than a prompt to check if we think it's needed! (I don't ever remember any issues in the year I was next door to the group this one was in then. At least, I was never called in to help.)

I am seriously considering suggesting after eight years of high-level diabetes supporting I get additional training and extra pay!

I have also learnt I really have internalised a huge amount of information about using a mobility cane after years of supporting different students who use them! I helped trial some new training which involved me being blindfolded to use the cane as various of my colleagues talked me round routes for them to learn some of those reinforcing techniques (this was after I'd speedily talked my partner in the training round the route and it was deemed I clearly knew all I needed to know already and should I really be a Rehab officer?!!) I am delighted by this as it bodes well should I ever lose my sight and need to use it myself! (I am not anticipating this, you understand, but one never knows.)

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all. It’s still a bit grey here @hh1 and cat’s in autumn winter mode of closeness for warmth but we expect it to be warmer once the sun gets higher. I agree, these temperature swings aren’t good for insulin juggling. Much swearing occurs. I’m never sure what kind of layers to put on on days like this, and where to pile up the stripped ones, which kind of carryall will be easiest to tote with me.
Off to see friends today and the main route there is closed for repairs so it could take some time. Must have the right singalong music to keep me company there and back.
I met two others for a birthday lunch in the town yesterday. The one who booked it promised it’d be outside but instead of the roof garden of the restaurant it was at a table near the pedestrian area. I’m now fearing, with numbers rising here, that I was foolhardy to go and then to stay. But I couldn’t face being nasty enough to go home again, on a birthday. I’d not seen the other invitee for two years so there may have been far too much talking. It should have been a totally joyous event. Oh the joy of being a vulnerable oldie!
At least today’s meet up is in a garden with plenty of room to place my seat at a distance.

Reactions: karen8967 and hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I sympathise @Japes. Both with the change in the lunch slot and the feeling you need recognition for diabetes support. Go for it. Lunch changes can be rotten to adjust for, and so seldom do those with functioning beta cells appreciate why.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. My line manager from last year really didn't get any of it at all. We get on amicably enough on the surface but it takes a lot of professionalism on my part not to lose my temper with her about this stuff.

She is of the variety of person who assumes it's as simple as follow the plan, count carbs, inject insulin and it will all be tickety-boo, so why did I let myself/student go low and cause chaos... also she disagrees with my being totally upfront about my diabetes with my students, especially with the students with diabetes, about what I'm doing and why.

Fortunately, this year's line manager looks potentially more sensible about these things.

Reactions: RVW

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. My line manager from last year really didn't get any of it at all. We get on amicably enough on the surface but it takes a lot of professionalism on my part not to lose my temper with her about this stuff.

She is of the variety of person who assumes it's as simple as follow the plan, count carbs, inject insulin and it will all be tickety-boo, so why did I let myself/student go low and cause chaos... also she disagrees with my being totally upfront about my diabetes with my students, especially with the students with diabetes, about what I'm doing and why.

Fortunately, this year's line manager looks potentially more sensible about these things.
Aaaaaargh! Why do people who don't have T1 thingk they know better than we do? At my village party last week I met someone who's helping her now elderly mother cope with T1, which she's finding harder as she's less able to rely on her memory and so on. It was just such a relief to talk T1 to someone who hasn't got it but actually genuinely understood that it's not just 1, 2, 3, there you go, but that we're all trying to replace an incredibly complex, delicately balanced hormonal system? I feel your pain @Japes and I do hope this year's line manager is a big improvement. Maybe with gentle hints and information from you they'll get the drift!

Last edited:
Reactions: RVW

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It must be the don’t understand T1 day.
I’m back from the get together with friends and wish I hadn’t gone, not because of the hour and a half drive (usually 25 mins), but because they’d all decided to eat indoors.
I said no thanks and had a quick bite in the garden before coming home again. The host had arranged a small table and chair for me round a corner, with a bit of window open. Either way I was a spare wheel so I chose the safer outdoor way. It wasn’t cold. It was cloudy.
Now I feel sad and I’m trying to dismiss the sense I got that they thought I was being over dramatic. They’ve no idea of what high blood sugars feel like. No idea of the way Covid instigates glucose release to feed create more little viruses.
Arghhh

Reactions: Claireball

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So sorry you had to eat alone in the garden, and there was no understanding from anyone, that's really sad, especially when you had debated whether to go or not, and had made the effort to be there. Have to agree, I'd have done the same as you. Anyone not type 1 can't understand what it feels like, but it's sad they couldn't make the effort to make sure everyone that was there could eat together. Really feel for you, sending big hugs x

Reactions: Fairygodmother