Type 1'stars R Us

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had my spring Covid booster vaccination on Thursday, Pfizer which was what I had last two jabs. Blood sugar didn't drop initially afterwards, as they did with every other vaccination, but shot through the roof and am needing more insulin than with previous jabs.

All that's beside the point really, the totally unexpected thing that happened is that I got up to the loo during the night and collapsed. Seem to remember this happened to you @Fairygodmother, following a jab. Thankfully, am bruised and exceptionally tired, but otherwise ok. Bloods weren't low at the time, so am putting it down to the jab.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Had my spring Covid booster vaccination on Thursday, Pfizer which was what I had last two jabs. Blood sugar didn't drop initially afterwards, as they did with every other vaccination, but shot through the roof and am needing more insulin than with previous jabs.

All that's beside the point really, the totally unexpected thing that happened is that I got up to the loo during the night and collapsed. Seem to remember this happened to you @Fairygodmother, following a jab. Thankfully, am bruised and exceptionally tired, but otherwise ok. Bloods weren't low at the time, so am putting it down to the jab.
Sorry this happened to you too. I was told it was a common or garden faint, but personally still suspect it was the jab - AZ. It’s really disconcerting, not to say more than a tad worrying when something like that happens.
Have you tested for Covid? I believe dizziness, tiredness, are symptoms.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all. Back from Bilbao now, in fact I’ve been back since Wednesday afternoon, but I’ve been resting a bit after packing more into two days than these arthritic bones are used to. Needless to say, I didn’t match Japes’ walking, but 18,500 steps in a day plus visits to the old city, La Ribera Market, walks along the river, a trip to the seaside, two meals out involving more walking to and from a glorious early nineteenth century restaurant, walking to a conference dinner at the Guggenheim, and a bit of shopping have left me ecstatically exhausted.
It was superb to be in a different place, back in Europe, seeing a life that wasn’t familiar. It was superb to talk with so many interesting, international people. How I’ve missed it. Apart from you lovely international lot, of course.
Now the testing for Covid. Neg so far, so cross your digits for me. A few of the others have been testing positive, but I don’t know what they were up to. Daughter and I wore masks (mandatory on public transport in Spain - seaside trip was on the metro) except when eating out.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Attachments

• 42F85272-4B95-46EE-A100-094F7446C1A6.jpeg
    42F85272-4B95-46EE-A100-094F7446C1A6.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 118
  • AFB21810-8C04-4322-8BAE-2814463E400C.jpeg
    AFB21810-8C04-4322-8BAE-2814463E400C.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 5BF509BA-F867-4EB8-8D47-4C1BC953BFEC.jpeg
    5BF509BA-F867-4EB8-8D47-4C1BC953BFEC.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 106
  • C63C8FA4-EFE0-4F81-966D-140E27009715.jpeg
    C63C8FA4-EFE0-4F81-966D-140E27009715.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 117

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Beautiful @Fairygodmother It looks like the dog statue has plants growing all over it? It sounds like you had a lot of fun!
The dog statue, Jeff Koons’ Puppy, does have flowers planted all over it. It’s huge, too.
I thought that the Guggenheim building itself was the better than all the art within it, seeing it was the highlight of the trip.

Reactions: Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, not been around much lately, busy with other stuff. Just caught up a bit; firstly hope those of you with eye tests got on okay. I've been called back for a 3 month check after my last retinopathy as I had 3 small bleeds. In the meantime I had to go back to Bristol Eye Hospital as I was referred there earlier with a suspected retina detaching (which fortunately it wasn't). They said all looked fine to them, though I do have a nevus at the back of my right eye near the optic nerve, but apparently it's not uncommon and nothing to worry about. I'll go back to the retinopathy clinic though, because why wouldn't I?

@Fairygodmother your trip looks amazing, I'd never heard of jeff Koons's puppy so had to look it up for more pics. Probably more blown away by the museum itself though, just quite beautiful.

@karen8967 I saw you haven't been on for a bit, how are you and how are things? I have two friends who recently lost husbands, one who's doing as okay as possible, the other's struggling a lot, and I think of you often too. Hope you're still getting lots of support from your family.

@Jaylee amazing pics! That's way too many people in one place for me though, it's why I don't go to Glastonbury even though I'm so close. Shame about the hypo, good job you're a smuggler ;)

Reactions: karen8967

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Relieved to hear that your retina’s not detaching @hh1, what a relief. I hope the next check shows that all’s ok.
Yes, @karen8967, how are you you doing? It’s a tough tough experience to be going through. You’ve plenty of friends here so do let us know, no holds barred. Sharing can help, and even if you think you need to be strong, we don’t feel you need to be strong with us. Hugs, hugs, and more hugs.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone. Had already done a Covid test, which was negative thankfully, but thanks for the suggestion @Fairygodmother. Sounds like you packed a lot in on your holiday, lovely to see the pictures, especially the puppy.

Glad to hear your retina's ok @hh1, and hope your next retinopathy check is fine.

Sending hugs along with everyone else @karen8967, and miss seeing you.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
We had our vegan potluck yesterday, very small gathering, only about 9 of us. The guy that usually does it forgot to send out an e-mail blast to remind everyone and advertise it. He also wasn't there so I'm not sure he remembered. He leaves for vacation on the 10th for a month so he might have been distracted. My hubby happened to remember about it Saturday night so he sent one of the managers a message asking if it was on because we hadn't heard anything and it was, but she didn't have the list of members to send something out. It was also the 4th of July Independence Day Weekend, so people might have been busy too. I hurriedly made something from what I had already on hand at home.

A quieter 4th. We heard very little fireworks this year in our area. And it mostly ended early. We had heard there was a shortage this year of the "fancier" ones, not sure about the standard ones. But it was sort of nice because our dogs don't really like hearing them, although they aren't as bad as some we've had in the past.

Reactions: Antje77

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone! I hope everyone enjoys their Friday and has a great weekend!!

I just completed a survey for our island by our government asking for input about traffic. Asking if you would ride a bike..............uh no, you would have a death wish on most of our roads if you do. Then asking if you would ride a bike if they had bike lanes, like that would happen any time soon..............but still no. Not only would it take a while on a bike to get anywhere for most of our residents living on our island to get to the shopping areas, we are mostly rural, you would still have a death wish. We also have all those tourists that do weird things like stopping in the road to take pictures, crossing streets where ever they want, driving onto sidewalks to park, most of the time we don't even have sidewalks so.... deciding to suddenly turn into somewhere, .... and then the completely not understanding the contra flow cones in areas, so they stop in what is a temporary through lane to make that left turn, that has a coned area instead to do so, on a 45 mph street...............and a single lane highway around most of our island..... Bike riding around for errands for most of our island? uh no.........

The next question was if you'd ride in a driverless passenger bus to run errands...............sigh no, mostly rural, hello no bus stops in most of the areas..................

Reactions: Yaya10_10 and hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, still no word from @karen8967. Hope you're okay out there.

@Marie 2 sounds as if your government doesn't have much idea how things work on your island.....

I had an interesting encounter on Friday. In a large local supermarket, had just asked a youngish woman if whe knew where something was (they've just rearranged a lot of the shelves) and as she was walking me towards the right place, she said, Sorry, I'm not being rude, but how do you keep it on? and pointed at my Libre. I told her I use Hydrofilm which I get on prescription, and we had quite a long chat about T1 and how nice it was to meet another one in the wild. She was saying how, when she's working in the cold store and wearing gloves finger pricking is a pain, as it is when she's on the shop floor and so on, and how much easier Libre has made life for her. She said she'd approach her own surgery and see if she could get the same plasters. Interestingly, we both have very dry skin and I'm convinced that's why it's so hard to keep the **** things on. Sounds counter-intuitive I know, but dry skin sheds all the time (sounds like reptiles :hilarious:) and I can't think of another reason. Be interesting to hear what other people with different skin types experience with Libres?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1 That’s an interesting thought. I have oily skin and I never use lotions or moisturizers because of it. I have never had an issue with the Libre coming off easy. I have been known to slam it off going through a door in the past, but that is explainable. Nowadays I have started using Skin Tac just because I am in the water so long as a precaution, but even being in the water before never seemed to bother it.

My Dexcom I wear on my arm and from the 1st day, I had issues with keeping that on. I had no helps in hand because I had had no issues with the Libre. I use Skin Tac on them now and then added an over patch with more Skin Tac because I keep them on longer. But I remember wrapping an ace bandage around my arm trying to keep it on the second day I wore the Dexcom.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I usually never eat this late, and now I am reminded why lol. I had some lentil soup and half a sandwich because I decided I was hungry, A few crackers probably would have worked, but now my stomach is not happy with me, it feels like it's just sitting there. I remember a time when I used to eat this late all the time as I didn't get home from work any earlier. Although for years it was just soup and then evolved into just some fruit. I guess we have to be reminded sometimes why we do certain things!!!!!

Reactions: Hopeful34 and hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all.
Has anyone tried to DM @karen8967? I do hope she’s ok.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve just tried to contact @karen8967 via Conversations and was told that @karen8967 could not be found. Now my aged fat thumbs may have messed up the process, which is not unexpected, and I really hope that’s the case.
Could someone else, someone more adept at computerese, have a try?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother Do you mean private message? If so, I went ahead and sent her one. But her activity says she hasn't been seen since June 21st. If you are talking about something else, I don't know what that is? If that's the case you would need to tell me what to do lol...........

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother Do you mean private message? If so, I went ahead and sent her one. But her activity says she hasn't been seen since June 21st. If you are talking about something else, I don't know what that is? If that's the case you would need to tell me what to do lol...........
I thought there’d be someone more adept than me. With luck, Karen will return when she’s ready.