Type 1'stars R Us

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's probably simpler than a cortisol release. If you're at rest or under slight but steady load, there will likely be a general balance between bg and ifg.

Then, if you start carting a dog up upstairs, heart rate likely goes up, the extra pressure from the faster heart rate will increase pressure in capillaries, so they'll leak more glucose out into the lower pressure interstitial fluid, which is a good thing as the muscle cells the if serves needs more glucose for carrying the pet, so libre senses the higher glucose there and reports it. Then when heart rate goes down, it balances out again.

When I first started using libre, I didn't appreciate the interplay between the two spaces - blood and interstitial fluid - and it took me a while to understand the relationship between them, the way that glucose naturally seeps out of blood into if to deliver to cells, and will do so more when heart rate goes up.

Thank you Scott, that explains everything. I will be more careful tomorrow.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I hope everyone is okay, despite it being a Monday ! ;)
A friend invited me for lunch by the river, it was quite hot and sunny and we had a walk to the village church afterwards. The church we see today is largely 16th century and It was lovely to get out and about :happy:

20180806_132320-1_resized.jpg 20180806_142246_resized.jpg 20180806_142034-1_resized.jpg 20180806_144433_resized (1).jpg 20180806_151501-1_resized.jpg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first Chinese curry/rice since starting Tresiba, same size bolus as always for this meal and the arrow's pointing straight up at 9 with a full gingerbread man, I wonder if they've a new cook as I've reduced breakfast bolus by .5u. or it could be me not waiting long enough before eating :) or snap the magic dragon casting one of those spells.

Nice curry tho and nice to be lazy and not cook for a change.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having another bash at an extended protein bolus... our chippy was doing F&C on a buy one get one for 99p, so the chaps had that, and brought me home some nekkid cod to have with some leafage and a tartare sauce I made with mayo, and a finely chopped dill pickle. 5g carbs and 50g protein, so injected (oh no! I don’t do that any more :rolleyes:) /shoved in half a unit for the carbs to go straight away and 2u over four hours for the fish.... wish me luck!

#makingthisupasigoalong
#stillgotthatfeelimgiforgotsomethingreallyimportant

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I decided I'd better try to do something in the garden today, since it's garden bin collection day tomorrow, and it's not been worth attempting anything for weeks...

It was basically a collect all the dead plant life and bin it kind of tidy up - about an hour. Toddled in to check where I was at, as I'd felt a little dizzy standing up to talk to a neighbour at the end of the clear under the hedge bit of the job, to find 4.2. Decided to eat a banana which did the trick nicely, and off I toddled back out to do a bit more.

Came back in having put all the bins out, re-tested. 1.2 !:wideyed: Immediate retest on that meter was 6.1 and 6.2 on the spare meter!! Conclusion - a dodgy test strip and a sit down to recover from the shock.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crazy week of late nights, wedding and parties...... attempted to stay as low carb as possible but it pretty much went out the window.

Looking forward to getting ‘home’ and back to my routine.. and keeping my sugar in range

Mel I take it you have your pump now?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My post Chinese spike came back down and sat at 6 all night, same cook but not long enough a pre bolus, I had a couple of hours at my mums house starting to clear it but spent the time going thru baby pics of me and stuff, aw :) 1st birthday cards and the like, all stuff I've not seen, I found my City & Guilds certificates from my apprenticeship 'O' levels from school and some dodgy reports, some BDA diabetic literature from the mid eighties and photos of girlfriends long forgotten, that's half a cupboard in a 3 bed house so I'll have gone grey and curly by the time I've finished.

Like just wow :) but it put a smile on my face.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
No I bolused after I got back. Normally he walks a reasonable distance, but today he didn't want to walk very far, and I had to carry him back up the stairs. When I got back in my blood sugar had gone up, and that seemed to fit with not walking him very far. So I did the bolus, and then just waited a bit, and drank some coffee/

So I'm wondering if the extra exertion of carrying him up the stairs raised my blood sugar slightly, then it fell later, after I'd injected, without me realising.

During the rest of the day I take him for a walk and it'll start falling a few minutes after I come back, but that doesn't really happen in the morning, usually it's just a small drop, and seeing as I didn't walk very far, I assumed there wasn't going to be a drop.

Must have been the unscheduled weight lifting.
Hi @Alison54321, Sometimes something called (incorrect politically) masterly inactivity is the best course. A lesson it has taken me, a stubborn so'n'so, years to grasp. We learn to anticipate as you did before the walk and then afterwards with the bolus. I think we have had to adapt this way because of the relative 'sluggishness' of even the fastest short-acting insulins.
Perhaps in future we can watch the bsls after a curtailed event and if the bsls start to rise we sniff up some (sniffable) insulin to obtain control. And we will all need to carry a doctor's letter to state that what we are doing is legit.! Best Wishes to the future, and at least in another episode of the same you will have this past experience to benefit from (plus a robot or A1 to remind us all !!)

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Pod change went well, I made use of the 8 hour “grace” period after it expires (as long as it still has enough insulin) to shunt the changeover time from 1600 to 1900, as I’m more likely to be home then. Was planning on doing it at 1800, but had to wait for my new sensor to warm up! Teenaged son was most impressed with all the new tech! We took the sticky layer off this morning to have a better look at it out of curiosity, and the other pic was the one I took with my phone to make sure the cannula was in properly, I’m pretty bendy but even I can’t rest my head on my hip to check!

Hospital was fine, I was just picking up batteries for the remote, a box to send expired pods back to the manufacturer for recycling, and syringes so that if I need an injection when I’m out I don’t have to carry pens. Seems less wasteful, as I’m carrying a spare pod and bottle of NovoSluggish in my bag anyway, just in case I need to change the pod. If I take a pen out of the fridge and carry it around for a month without using it, it’s a terrible waste. A 10ml vial should last a fortnight if I put 200u in at each pod change. Pump lady said I’d done all the right things with setting up a temporary basal profile for shark week, she’s happy for me to tweak and fiddle to my heart’s content :smug:

I’ve worked out that one 3g dextrose tab raises me by 0.6mmol, so I just take enough to do the job. I’ve been told off for not taking the prescribed 15+15 before now, so just smile and nod, and keep doing what works ;)
Hi @Mel dCP, Do you need a spare battery or charger cord for your away from the house kit ??

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning peeps, this diabetic lark how hard can it be. Last 2 nights almost perfect overnight waking up to a around 5. And yet 3/4 weeks ago every night for about 2 weeks I was experiencing really bad dawn phenomenen, going to bed with maybe a 5/6 and waking up with 10/11. Nothing has changed still pretty much in same erouting

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning y'all :) 10.2 waking, if that had been Lantus it'd d have taken an hour to drop, but I'm down at 8 in 15 minutes, standard bolus and I've never seen insulin work as quick, I dropped another unit off my basal last night too so I've reduced it by a 3rd, interesting times :p