Type 1'stars R Us

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you mean the IgNobel? Always full of brilliantly daft topics.

Lol, I'd heard about ignobel a while back but hadn't googled it. Having just done so, I am now going to be, erm, doing some research on it during quiet spells at work in the run up to xmas!

Screenshot_2018-12-09-19-18-14.png

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening my lovely little teabags.

Quick question for those who use a pump. I have my pump assessment next week and I am hoping in new year to have a pump. Our area tends to use the Medtronic 640, I believe

I have been on Youtube looking at the pump and it looks like bolus and basal although that was from 2013 the video I looked at. Looking at @Mel dCP profile however looks like you are only using Novorapid. Just trying to be prepared before I go to the assessment

@helensaramay loving the hair, looks cool

A meet up now that would be good

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hair’s lovely, @helensaramay!
At a meet-up we’d probably recognise Mel and Sue and Cumbs and Karen, and Scott-C cos we’ve got photos as avatars, and photos, oh, and kev-w too, and Knikki who posted a lovely wedding photo, and por69 if he was wearing a wetsuit and had a reg in his mouth, but the others of us? Are there giveaways in what we post?
A meet-up would be nice. We’re all over the U.K. so how’d we decide where?

My avatar is my latest tattoo on the palm of my hand so I'd just stand waiting to high 5 you all and you'd know it was me... :p

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No clues as to what I look like from my avatar! I just liked the colours when I was sorting out loads of coloured pencils one day so took a photo! I deliberate don't use photos of me because of the educational world I work in. My students are old enough to be on social media, and whilst I don't think either of the two current ones or their parents who might be around these parts are, I'm not risking being identified!

Thought I was going to have to go back to church after lunch to see if I'd dropped my "single" use lancet finger pricking device by the organ. I wouldn't have been too concerned apart from the fact there are a lot more children in and out of church in the lead up to Christmas. Happily, as I put my coat back on to go and check, I discovered it hiding in my coat inner pocket. I probably should go in this week and put the hymn numbers away in the organ stool, though. They normally live in a box immediately under what used to be a donations box set in the wall, and several bored secondary school children, during Carol Services not to their liking, have delighted in posting the numbers into the slot before I got wise to this and started hiding the numbers!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Quick question for those who use a pump.

Hi, mate, I'm not a pumper but here's how it works. On mdi, we've got basal and bolus, and the basal is just a bolus insulin which has been chemically tweaked to slow it down so it gets absorbed gradually over a much longer period, about 16 to 24 hrs, instead of the quickish 3 to 5 hrs that bolus does.

With pumps, they just use bolus insulin like Novo or Fiasp, but feed it in very slowly, in small amounts so it ends up having the same overall effect as a basal, to provide a gradual background cover, and then you'll occasionaly tell it to fire in a lot more if you need a bolus for a meal.

You've basically just got bolus insulin in the pump, novo or whatever, but it does the two roles, basal and bolus, slow steady delivery at small amounts as background basal cover, and a quick hit as bolus for meals.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, you could just use the little sticky that attaches it to the Libre, and hold the body of it down with your usual plaster? I just don’t like anything over the top of mine if I can avoid it, it looks a bit messy to my eye.

@Scott-C I do this ^ I got a nasty reaction to the adhesive that comes with the MM on my arm.

I use rock-tape and had no issues. I will usually cover the whole thing with Tegaderm when I am swimming.

Reactions: Cumberland

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C I do this ^ I got a nasty reaction to the adhesive that comes with the MM on my arm.

I use rock-tape and had no issues. I will usually cover the whole thing with Tegaderm when I am swimming.

Cheers, CI, I've seen so many posts from peeps who've been getting by with libre for a while then it all gets messed up with allergies. I so don't want to get into that territory, so am tending towards the plaster gig and minimal use of mm adhesives.

Looks like a good product, but I'm probably not far off the mark in suggesting that a small start-up company in China has put less research into adhesives than an American multi-national with a 100 billion market cap...

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Hair’s lovely, @helensaramay!
At a meet-up we’d probably recognise Mel and Sue and Cumbs and Karen, and Scott-C cos we’ve got photos as avatars, and photos, oh, and kev-w too, and Knikki who posted a lovely wedding photo, and por69 if he was wearing a wetsuit and had a reg in his mouth, but the others of us? Are there giveaways in what we post?

Stick a pin in the map lol

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

We triangulate all our postcodes, if they intersect in Port Talbot or Slough, we cancel, if they intersect at Stonehenge, we meet there, and either slaughter a low-carber on the altar, or at least make them eat a Greggs steak-bake.

Sorry, I'm getting me coat right now, I've already got my left arm in it...

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, mate, I'm not a pumper but here's how it works. On mdi, we've got basal and bolus, and the basal is just a bolus insulin which has been chemically tweaked to slow it down so it gets absorbed gradually over a much longer period, about 16 to 24 hrs, instead of the quickish 3 to 5 hrs that bolus does.

With pumps, they just use bolus insulin like Novo or Fiasp, but feed it in very slowly, in small amounts so it ends up having the same overall effect as a basal, to provide a gradual background cover, and then you'll occasionaly tell it to fire in a lot more if you need a bolus for a meal.

You've basically just got bolus insulin in the pump, novo or whatever, but it does the two roles, basal and bolus, slow steady delivery at small amounts as background basal cover, and a quick hit as bolus for meals.

Thanks to both @Scott-C and @helensaramay for your replies. The DVD I am watching from Medtronic dates from 2013 and they have a Bolus and Basal, so looks like things have moved on

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Cannula challenges remain. Moving to the metal cannulas and end second day in up go the BSLs (as related on Sat or was it Sun?
Leaking insulin under the adhesive patch. But these needle port devices have an additional adhesive patch part way along the tubing to reduce any tension on the patch with the cannula. Go figure !!

Reactions: Cumberland

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning y'all, a 7.1 waking for me, cold outside watching the little un off to the bus stop for school, the car part arrives today, window cleaning this morning and bodging the old car this aft, living the dream :p

Have a good one :)