1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Or the white spirit ?? (kite courtesy of Martin Lester, Scilly isles)
    IMG_2996 (1).jpg

2. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It was in Aldi, a friend shared a sip of hers so I went to get some but it was already sold out. Him indoors found the last bottle at the local M&S and gave it to me as a nannyversary pressi - to be shared!
    I was amazed too, it’s not sickly sweet and all. Maybe there’ll be more produced if the Portuguese find it sells out quickly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Fairygodmother

Ah, said gentleman’s only good for cleaning paint brushes. I feel really sorry for the poor people, usually rough sleepers, who end up in his clutches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fairygodmother

I’ve just received an NHS message changing a Diabetes Clinic, and the person to see - again. It’s the third one this year, the third time there’s been a new incumbent and a new time. Poor struggling NHS. Thank goodness for this great forum.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Late morning all
    I think Xdrip is broken lol. Went to bed 6.5 woke to a 6.5 and sat on a 6.5 now......what is going on? BGs are around the same also. Long may it continue.....It will all go Pete Tong later for sure
    @Fairygodmother dry white port sounds really good to be fair....may have a look out for that later :)

• Like Like x 5
  6. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, thought I must have died in the night as I woke to a flat line 5.1 - had to check with a blood test, and that said 5.2 :)

Delivering son to his dad for the weekend, and then braving Sainsbury’s for the things Lidl don’t sell...

• Like Like x 7
  7. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Fairygodmother Whiteport was one of my Christmas favourites. In a good one you can taste the fruit, in a dry one... it's almost like a Chablis.. a bit steel like but still with a hint of sweetness. OMG!! I sound like some snotty dotty from the TV!!But honestly they can be sweet or dry and obviously the former really makes my BG sing. I saw some in Sainsburys last week.

Just had a wonderful little parcel delivered, a gift from Mr B's aunt. Full of cheeses, Perl wen, Wensleydale, Caerphilly etc and ham hocks and bacon. Does cheese freeze?

• Like Like x 4
  8. Fairygodmother

We used to freeze big big blocks of cheddar in West Africa on the rare occasions they were flown in and they were ok when defrosted but it may have been scarcity that made them seem so good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Very true @Fairygodmother I vaguely remember doing the same in Paraguay but can't think what it tasted like. Just wondering about now as it's so freely available. I just don't want it to go to waste.

• Like Like x 2
  10. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For me and others around my age it's not wept, it's terrified at the film! Fluffy bunnies, animation, of course it's suitable for children...

• Like Like x 1
  11. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Without checking, I could have sworn you posted this word for word not too long ago...................???!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same mate....hence why I think it's broke
    5.7 now so it is working lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Fairygodmother

Just seen that Watership Down’s on the beeb tomorrow. I’ve just seen next door’s new baby rabbits, a pair of super sweet lop ears and don’t think I want to get out the tissues for the animation gang.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No jelly baby needed. Nice straight line, took a unit after to compensate for Adrenalin surge and the straight line continued. Then needed to activate new sensor and it’s a right dogs dinner. Hoping it will settle out tomorrow like the last one did.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

On the odd time I have frozen cheese. I have grated the cheese, prior to open freezing it. I must admit, wherre cheese has been frozen, I have tended to use it as cooking cheese. Frozen from grated means as much or as little as is requirred can be shaken out into the top of whatever is being cooked.

Personally, I wouldn't freezea soft cheese.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. DCUKMod

@therower - Have you seen this on Twitter?

upload_2018-12-21_19-45-23.png

Fantastic news. Get your bids in early, and tell your buddies (probably in that order!)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@DCUKMod . Missed this. Great news. Currently in a position to be able to self fund Dexcom but hopefully some not in my position will be able to reap the benefits.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. DCUKMod

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Beams contentedly at the whole wide world.

Main Paid Job finished until 7th January. All-morning grazing on party food survived.

Food Shopping done until well into next week. With luck, I won't have to venture into a shop before Thursday at the earliest.

Sunday Job about to take over until midday Tuesday and all tasks done for that. Well, all the ones I know about... Including the words and music rewrite that I remember saying I needed to do after last year's debacle. (If I am to lead the singing of some ditty which has been written to a Well Known tune, but the words don't quite fit the music, then I need it written out in full, with the words under the music, so I can catch the pitfalls. Not just thrusting the words at me in a poor format and layout, and expecting me to be able to read it, read the music from a different source and assume the congregation will catch on because"Oh, everyone knows the tune, they'll pick it up... Um, no, they won't.)

House cleaning taking place tomorrow.

Holiday proper begins 25/12/2018 at 12.00 noon.

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lol, Japes, T1 can be messy at times, but it's always a winner when we get ourselves into that, "yeah, it's working for me right now" groove - I'm there just now!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook