1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Cumberland . It’s so sad to hear your news.
    Sending a fellow dog lover hug.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh no, heartbreaking. Liked in sympathy. The grief for an animal is as rending as for a human. I’m so sorry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Oh Cumbs, I’m so sorry, sending a big hug xxx

• Like Like x 3
  4. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight everyone sleep well

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @helensaramay, the challenge of change, expressed in the Yerkes-Dodson curve, where stress leads to an increase in performance to a point where increasing stress further leads to a fall in performance. As an engineer I am sure you see the parallels to principles of load and stress. (And is it Young's modulus)?? But nobody back then put diabetes into the equation!!
    Perhaps a percentage increase in basal rate of insulin per x number of emails to be read and answered?
    Exercise to improve plasticity under load? (with an expired credit card to scrape the ice off the windscreen)?
    Music to set up pleasant, stress- free harmonics ? A funny movie or songs playing as one works? "Always look on the bright side of life" ? Requisite caffeine or herbal remedy to disperse stress fractures and ? chocolate to heal them?? I would draw the line on talking to an A1 like Siri, but you could try karaoke ? You can talk to yourself (just make sure you do not answer yourself back)!! Work is a 4 letter word but it occupies us, provides a challenge, puts (add suitable food here) on the table, does cause us to interact with others and gives added impetus to the forces and balances involved in wall climbing!! Best Wishes!!!

With best of intentions................all industrial design has holes in it............and when do we accept an impasse??
    IMG_3613 (1).jpg ....................................... P9090566.jpg ...................................................... IMG_3010.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    #9786 kitedoc, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:15 PM
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  7. kitedoc

Hi @smc4761, being a salt mine, do you keep a canary in the office??

• Like Like x 1
  8. kitedoc

Hi @ becca 69, Yes I know that retired experience as well ! Hopefully to exercise of blitzing the house will pay if with lower BSL. Or perhaps doing the work to your favourite music will do the BSLs good, complete with choreography !!

9. kitedoc

Hi @Knikki, I believe the Japanese use biorhythm readings to decide when a worker should and should not work. There - you have another reason (excuse) for a day off!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. kitedoc

Ah !! @porl69, that 'back to work' stress thingy. Time is the best healer - hang in there !!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@kitedoc not sure salt mines are known for methane build up. Unless there was a surfeit of sprouts over Christmas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It looks like hi bs was a theme for most yesterday morning. Me too. Didn’t attach my pump to my body and the line for the tubing must’ve wrapped around a pillow, and then pulled out the infusion set. Found it detached. Based on the correction dose, I’d probably yanked it out 4 hours earlier.

The failure didn’t make for a good start, but it was obvious and fixable. And I’d pulled my numbers back in line after working the trainer.

I was kind of curious about feedback for aquaman too. Is it worthy?

I would also love feedback on Dumbo, which is coming out. I need to know what kind of tear jerker it is.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning have a great day everyone

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, good start to the day with a 6.1. @Japes , I'll pm you my address so you can come and sort out all my paperwork.

@Fairygodmother looking forward to hearing you've got a date in the very near future.

@Cumberland so sorry to hear about Banger, major hugs to you.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Cumberland so sorry to hear about poor little Banger. There was probably nothing you could have done though, he must have had an undetected health problem.

It's so very sad, but hopefully you'll provide a lovely home for another dog sometime in the future.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

The diabetes fairy sprinkled her golden wand over me last night, awoke on 6.6 :happy:
    EE:mad: the engineer didn't turn up, so I rang EE, the adviser I spoke to on Sunday didn't process the appointment corectly, hence, no appointment!!. Now it seems the fault is my landline and the fault is outside, not my router or copper wiring. I am not happy at all, So it looks like I might tell EE where to shove their upgrade.

@Cumberland, so sorry to read about your beloved dog, sending a BIG ((((((( HUG ))))))))x

• Like Like x 5
  17. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

@kev-w

Morning all yes back in the salt mines as well and will probably need a canary as this place will stink, it normally does :hilarious:

On a side note anyone seen @kev-w lately?

• Like Like x 7
  18. Alison54321

@kev-w hasn't been around a for a couple of weeks, has he. His family did expand in 2018, so he may have had a busy Christmas and New Year, hopefully we'll hear from him soon.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Alison54321

I haven't got much to say today, yesterday was the most productive day I've had for a while, there must be something about the ending of the year that reduces my productivity levels.

Blood sugar was reasonably well behaved last night, and everything was nice and boring. Boring is great when it comes to T1D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear this @Cumberland . I'm certain what life the dog had, made Banger feel "part of the pack."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook