1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is the start of the robot takeover, and there is a secret world where libres communicate with each other, and plot against us humans.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning teabags, looks like we are mainly having a good day with BG

I was at my pump assessment on Thursday at lunchtime and got the go ahead for a pump sometime in new year. Now I think my body has heard this and thought hold on a mo what about your MDI, you should stick with us and not go on that silly pump thing. :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful: Why, cos ever since Thursday lunchtime my BG have been almost perfect, well perfect for me. Not really moved much stayed between 6.1 and 8.2, had no crazy morning spikes like I always get. Even last night drank a bottle of plonk, which normally puts my BG way up, but no went to bed at 6.4, overnight dropped to 6.1 and woke to 6.7

My Libre for the 7 day average is showing 7.1, which for me is unheard of, my lowest ever by far. I normally sit at 8.1--8.5 with the very occasional 7.8--7.9

Sure I will have jinxed this now:angelic:

• Like Like x 9
  3. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

My Levemir does the same, @Alison54321 and @Fairygodmother . I do 7 units at night when it's new, then when the numbers in the morning start creeping for no reason, I put it to 8 at night.

@kev-w I am in awe of the regular up and down ladders. I've just done all my inside windows, and the downstairs outside which has involved up and down the step ladders (don't ask about walking on the kitchen surfaces, they're getting a good clean after lunch and the baking session) I started on 13.4 and am now sitting down coaxing myself back up from a 3.9 accompanied by a wobbly feeling. Need to write a note on the window cleaning stuff bottle to have a snack halfway through the job!

• Like Like x 5
  4. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Went for my eye test, and my glasses need reglazing with weaker lenses as my eyes have improved a little. For both long distance and close up. Even better is that the retinopathy and maculopathy my last screening picked up has healed! So the ophthalmology hospital appointment I have next month doesn’t seem quite so terrifying now, apparently my eyes are in great shape :)

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 7
  5. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you're in town in April, I'd highly recommend a trot up Calton Hill for Beltane.

https://beltane.org/about/about-beltane/

It's a bunch of middle class hippies pretending to be pagans, but it's a darned good show.

The May Queen processes around the hill to welcome in summer.

There's several thousand people, darkness, fire, drums, alcohol, partial nudity on a steep hill - surprisingly, nothing goes wrong!

A few years back, a woman who was Scottish but had grown up in Canada with her parents as ex-pats came back home to build a new life here, turned up in my local, and I ended up being tasked with showing her our strange Edinburgh ways.

Took her to Beltane, lovely clear night with the moon over the Forth, drums hammering away, the National Monument lit up with the bonfire, a hipflask of Edradour, and it brought a tear to my eye when she said, "this is the best city on the planet".

7424220394_b43032a7ae_b2.jpg

beltane-2-ove-hansen.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Mel dCP Great present for December and onwards

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Alison54321

Does sound interesting............if my unsociable temperament has reduced sufficiently by April, I might take a look, though living very close to the Pleasance my ability to handle a lot of middle aged hippies in one place reduces every August. But I might............

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scott-C

Lol, yes, I enjoyed the Festival a lot when I was younger, but now it's increasingly tedious having to put up with precious, precocious people trying to be "zany" and 'amusing" for a whole month while getting in my way at the bar.

I actually heard one of them in a bar in Rose Street last Festival say, "ooh, I'm not going to try any of the local beers, they'll be like ditchwater, give me a Stella."

Give me strength....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Alison54321 Yes same here with basal. There is a definite deterioration, it says o the packet to use for 6 weeks. Who are they kidding. I manage 4. I have found keeping it in the fridge improves its effectiveness.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Alison54321

Some of the young ones doing it for the first time are quite sweet, and I think it must be a real confidence building experience for them. But I do feel guilty about all the promises I make to leafleters about going to see their shows, when I know full well I won't.

• Like Like x 1
  11. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

OMG @Scott-C .
    Are those ladies topless in that photo?
    Are tickets available for April next year?:):):)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Scott-C

Lol, yes, but they're being "artistic", so no smutty thoughts!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The trouble with the festive season for me seems to be the quantity of red meat appearing :) I can feel my cholesterol level going up just looking at it, but I've decided to cook a mousakka from scratch at some point when I find aubergines so got a couple of 500g packs of lamb mince with a massive smoked bacon pack on offer, I got some sausages too for pigs in blankets :) so roll on a couple of weeks of gluttony :p :p

• Like Like x 4
  14. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Alison54321, so are you taking Levemir once daily or twice daily??

• Like Like x 1
  15. kitedoc

Hi @smc4761, The power of the mind is a wonderful thing for our BSLs at times !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. kitedoc

Quick, write up a script and send it off to the BBC!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. kitedoc

Ha! Add to first responder handbook, if patient has flatline, check Libre battery before proceeding !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. kitedoc

? Moral of the story: More cake, less pubs? The original Etch A sketch was invented by a Frenchman, also a renowned kite maker. Sadly he died several years ago so who knows what will happen? - though I read somewhere that the original design was making a come-back, such an unlikely event in the technically advancing world !!

• Like Like x 2
  19. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight everyone sleep well

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Night night Karen, night night everyone, happy dreams.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook