1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome @JAT1
    After a high spell over Christmas with massive DP I upped my Toujeo 1 unit to 10 and opened a new one. A day later and levels calmed down. Have had a nice, mainly in the blue week. The only trouble is I am level all day even when when haven’t eaten for ages. But at 3 in the morning drop low and require a Jelly baby or 2. This morning awoke on a 5.5 up arrow. 2 units of Fiasp and a 10 carb raspberry and yoghurt breakfast. Got into the pool for my swim session on a 6.5 and got out an hour later after 80 hard lengths on a 6.1. Now slowly rising after the Adrenalin. I know tonight I will require more carbs to counteract the exercise but on ordinary nights even with a glass of milk before bed cannot stop the lows. If I drop the Toujeo back down I will go back to constant corrections during the day and big morning rises.
    A lot of rambling here but some suggestions would be welcome. As I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• Hug Hug x 5
  2. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning Sieves!

All dressed up and nowhere to go this morning, no work today from my agency. Quite relieved, tbh, but it’s always amusing to get dressed as “Miss” and then change back to being me after an hour if there’s no phone call (for those new to the thread, I do a bit of part time work as a supply teacher). BG was a fruity 3.8 when the alarm went off - normally I don’t mind that because it’s the lower end of normal, but not so good for piloting a Ford Focus ;) I’d had a couple of low alarms in the small hours, so two dextrose tabs and a half hour 0% basal on my pod sorted those out. Currently running a 6.2 :) Might need to switch to my “busy” programme rather than my “lazy” one...

Sorry to hear about your demise, @helensaramay - hope you’ll continue to haunt the thread.

@Alison54321 - you’ve got me in the mood for pancakes now...

@becca59 - I’m not quite sure what to suggest, tbh. Toujeo is stronger Lantus, isn’t it? I suspect your low is due to the peaky action of the insulin - have you tried changing your injection time?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@becca59 if you were using Levemir (or even Lantus) I'd suggest splitting it but Toujeo is suppose to last a lot longer. I'd hazard a guess you inject toujeo around 10-11pm?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning all
    Hello @JAT1

All fine and dandy this AM.....so far.....woke to a 5 and currently on an 8

@helensaramay its horrible when you wake up dead isnt it? Negative amount of glucose.....Yep I do believe your sensor is at an end

• Like Like x 3
  5. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Someones algorithm or at least programming isn't right is it if it can report a negative BG reading?! Question is for that brief moment of deadness did you do compression's and mouth to mouth on yourself? :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Surely better to wake up dead than not wake up dead? I might be debating that all day. Glad you are living-dead @helensaramay

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I changed mine on Saturday, as it was 14 days. The official app had me flatlining with LO for the last two days, but the MiaoMiao readings on Spike were fine, so I let it run to its natural end.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Libre astral travelled to the Southern Hemisphere giving it a negative reading, but during this translation your liver snuck the requisite glucose into your system. I think the Libre entered death's realm in its passage. It may require a reverse charge to that realm to pay for its travel. Just send $50 to the following Southern Hemisphere address ..............
    Ex-zombiefication costs extra !!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. porl69

I get an extra day out of mine with Xdrip and the readings are usually pretty spot on as well. The Libre app can be a mile out on times and although I do scan with it (to keep my dietitian happy) I rarely take not of the results

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kitedoc

Thank you @Fairygodmother, I wonder if @tim2000s has seen it? It would be interesting to see whether such technology helped attain similar results in groups divid
    Fair enough @helensaramay, maybe there exists a dual state of zombie/non-zombie, but due to not allowing the 'B' word into the field it becomes 'zomie/non-zomie. Finalisation on end state depends on individual structural options, causation and free will.
    Good luck. And if you end up on 'the other side' please send a post-card!!

• Like Like x 3
  11. kitedoc

@porl69 , Is there a special tool at work which can be applied to squeeze the last working drop out or are you a Libre whisperer.?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. porl69

I tend to shout at it a lot lol Only secret tool is the MM, which I do not think is such a secret any more :bag:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning everyone!

Everything was going swimmingly this morning (a touch out of range at 9.0 when I woke but took a correction with my morning basal) until it came time for late breakfast a few hours later. Some kind soul had been in the fridge since I came in and chucked the milk I'd brought in for my mugs of tea (I decanted a small amount from a new bottle to a pint I'd finished over the weekend).

Currently fuming with my food and milkless cuppa. Was still at 9.0 when I took my dose for this so the correction held off some of the rise I experience on work mornings.

@helensaramay - please share the secret to negative glucose: it could be useful for us when we're a bit out of range on the high side!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use xDrip+ with my Libre too, and I find my readings go a bit wrong on day 15 - usually flatlining. Added to that, I like the consistency of knowing that I change it on the same day of the week (one less thing to think about), and I do rely on it quite heavily, unless I'm driving or, like @helensaramay says, 'out of bounds' and needing to correct. I only use the official reader to activate the sensors!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3 hours back at work and I'm wondering is it time to go home yet (well actually been thinking it for the past 2 hours!)??

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. db89

Interesting that Miaomiao keeps going for a whole day - Blucon stops after only an extra 12 hours but stays accurate during that time :)

Question for those using xDrip with Libre - when you activate a new sensor (via official scanner or LibreLink app) do you immediately start xDrip and wait the hour or do you wait the warmup hour and then start xDrip? Does it matter? The couple of times I've had sensors I've waited the hour and then put on my Blucon and started it up with a start time an hour earlier and it seems to spring to life but if I could just do it all at the same time and leave it it might be handier.

17. porl69

I try and get the new sensor in 24 hours before the old one ends to "bed in". Will start the new sensor. wait an hour then stop the MM with xdrip and retart it straight away

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. kitedoc

Hi @Colin of Kent, I think this is explained by the theory of relativity. If one's BSL is 9 and then falls to say, 7 mmol/l then that indicates a negative 2 mmol/l. Of course one has to account for the compartment issue, as relativity may be confined by spatial considerations such blood and circulation compartment vs interstitial (between body cells) and intracellular. The theory of entanglement wherein the BSL in the cells is immediately influenced by that in the blood stream has been tested to some extent. However obtaining permission from persons to agree to having their brain cells removed and measured is proving difficult.
    Other fields and compartments are being measured in addition to the interstitium, such as tears. Salvia has not proven that useful and spitting is considered a bad habit anyway. Some bright spark thought about a midget submarine navigating the blood stream to sample the blood in the portal vein but whilst oxygen levels were not a problem for the miniature crew, excessive flow and difficulty transmitting the measurement signal have led to that project being shelved. They are still trying to find the sub.
    However whilst in transit to the vein the sub did note falls in BSL to corroborate the relativistic negative glucose readings.

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. db89

Yep - I've done the bedding in thing and leave the sensor for 24 hours but before now I've been rationing sensors as I didn't have them on repeat. So essentially, you do start the new one and leave it an hour before putting it onto xDrip - that's what I was after thanks :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Reminds me of 'Innerspace'

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook