Type 1'stars R Us

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good day, new speakers and a new sound base, just need to see if I can sell the old rig now, really don't want it to go a charity shop.

New speakers are fab and makes all the difference to both vyinal and CDs lus now have a deidicated stereo amp. I is happy :joyful:

Are the speakers for a HiFi and the sound base for the TV? I want to change my surround sound and upgrade to a proper amp with HD audio format support and some better quality speakers but the TV stand I bought last year is not going to be wide enough to support the amp and allow free air flow so I'm finding it difficult to 'trash' a brand new stand for new speakers - the ones I've got are a hand-me-down set with an old DVD player bought a decade ago.

Reactions: Knikki

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 . Please tell me you’ve been wearing knee pads. Had mine strapped on as soon as I started slabbing. Wouldn’t work without them.:):)

It just takes the right work trousers with me & i can stay there all day like i'm praying for a cure... ;)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ha. I am the laterest. :)
I think I planned to do too much today. Turns out there is not enough time to do some laundry, clean boots, paint the bathroom ceiling (as well as wiping, scraping, sanding and filling), shower, pack, redo the red in my hair and then get to the airport. I left the ceiling half done: still need to give it another coat. But I made it to the airport on time ... unlike the plane.
BG has been on a roller coaster .. which I will see more f tomorrow when I activate my Libre which I just found time for.
Well timed @helensaramay, and what a superhuman effort to fit so much into the time available. I would imagine the ceiling paint needs time to dry in winter anyway so the delay in doing the second (or third) coat will not be wasted. I mention third coat because with white paint (assuming you are not doing a 'feature ceiling' colour)!! it can be tricky to spot missed spots.
But maybe my boy's look at what I have painted is too casual and needs the extra coat !!
All that exercise does wonders and then roller-coaster rides with BSLs!!
Most important, I hope the travel and work goes well.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I'm off tomorrow to meet a friend, we haven't seen each other for over 30 years. The thing that gets me is not being able to just get up in the morning and go. Have to check all supplies, extras etc are ready. Really sad that I can't be as spontaneous as I was before T1D. Have I said this already?
Perhaps do all the prep the night before with a sign on the inner side of the front door to remind you to check you have packed the kit !! Enjoy the day !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Knikki this trip is Barcelona.
Just enjoyed a nice Rioja with paella and tapas. I suspect tomorrow will be less exciting.

The Helsinki trip is more than a month away.
And the Finns will tell you they are Nordic but not Scandinavian.

I disagree with the idea that type 1 has taken away spontaneity - my life is pretty spontaneous from popping out for a drink because "it's been one of those days", going to the gym because ... "it's been one of those days", jumping on a plane at less than 24 hours notice because ... "it's been one of those days", chilling with a bottle of wine, pizza and a movie because ... "it's been one of those days".
It takes a bit of experience to know what to do with your insulin and not stressing if you get it wrong once in a while.

The difference between having diabetes and not was highlighted to me a few years ago when my boyfriend and I decided to canoe down the Wye. It was a sunny day so we needed sunscreen, it was on water so my boyfriend needed seasickness tablets, it was summer so my boyfriend needed hay fever medication ... all of which seems perfectly reasonable, So why should taking my insulin and testing kit seem any different?
The 'it's been one of those days' sounds like the van Morrison song, "There'll be days like this", the melody smooths away worry.
In the good old days before glucose meters when I was mad enough to indulge in white water canoeing it was a matter of reduced insulin doses each morning and evening and eating regularly, allowing more food for the days when the map of the river suggested portaging or tricky rapids.
The difference between diabetes and not was seeing someone on one memorable trip whose asthma had flared up. In comparison my diabetes was like a mozzie bite !!

Reactions: therower

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I am trying to be the latest today . Not usually on the weekends as hate the app on my phone!
Well, all my Medtronic "homework" has been done and just done my first cannula change....why was I so worried about it? Seriously, finger poking hurts more! Just learning about dual and square wave bolus...been connected for 3 days now and no problems to report as yet
@porl69, tell me when you look at the ocean, are there any square waves ?? Ya must be dreamin'!! Enjoy the lessons, sounds like you are getting the hang of it. Thought of any (printable) nickname for the pump yet!!

Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Mel dCP , I meant to reply to your post about supply teaching before now. I reckon those of us who did our training in the last century can cope with almost anything! I've had interesting conversations recently about this and made newly trained colleagues go pale at the thought of creating lesson plans and resources without the use of the internet. I'd be ashamed of myself if I couldn't. Though, I do make full use of all resources available to me now!

One of the things I loved about the job I had prior to this one was the sheer variety of subjects I supported in and how much I learned along with the students. Maybe not floristry - I was renowned for being the only TA who never wanted to have a go other than to re-demonstrate to a student who was struggling with a technique.
There is always ikebana !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Evening all!

Hope all your BSL’s are behaving! I’ve had a bit of a low day, 5 hypos in the last 24 hours so thinking maybe my basal needs some adjustment!

On the plus side I think the blood thinners are taking effect as managed to go for two walks over the weekend with the pup and not been able to do that for months! So all is good really! Maybe that’s causing the hypos!
Lots of commiserations and hugs! Exercise particularly after so long will do that to you. Whatever adjustment of food/insulin for the exercise and the 12 to 24 hours after when insulin sensitivity tends to be better, is maybe something to discuss with your DSN ??

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I’m latest ;)

Poxy high levels all day due to poxy night’s sleep, I suspect. Just got back off call and relaxing with a nice cup of tea :)
What are the prizes for latest and earliest? Ah! ? the stress of call and call-outs. maybe the Libre needs to prompt you to fire in a small bolus every time the blinking phone rings !! On MDI I used to jab in a short-acting dose as even a conversation on the phone to someone in distress who did not in fact need a visit was enough to show up in BSLs later. Most memorable call out was to an elderly couple housed in a caravan park, pouring rain, hundreds of caravans, and a nice cuppa and soup waiting when I finally got there in drowned rat status!!

Last edited:
Reactions: LooperCat

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning
FB_IMG_1540836638998.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning, it's Monday again :wideyed: the week goes so quickly. I had a busy day yesterday and it was a nice one too :)
Went bed on a 11.4, had a 1 1/2 correction and awoke on a nice 7.4, hope you have a great start to the week.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, no work today. Not sure if I’m pleased about that or not.

Foot on the floor can do one. In the last couple of weeks I’ve been shooting up about an hour after I wake up, but not at the same time, and not reliably - so I can’t adjust my basal settings to deal with it. So I’m having to be reactive rather than proactive :banghead: I suppose not having a standard wake-up time doesn’t help, and I refuse to get up at 0530 every morning for the sake of consistency! I’m wary of hammering it too hard with insulin in case I (literally) crash on my way to work. As a result I’m spending half the morning higher than I want to be - all a bit frustrating, really.

@SueJB - it does become a habit after a while to make sure you have all you need, and spontaneity comes back. We’ve got a couple of extra things to remember to carry, yes, but so do parents of young kids, people with all sorts of health issues etc etc etc. It’s a rare person who can literally just drop everything and walk out the door! And even they need to remember keys, wallet and phone. The old “spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch” adage in my case just became “spectacles, dextrose, pod controller, test kit and (fully charged) watch” - plus a spare pod that always lives in my handbag so I know it’s always there. I know you’re relatively recently diagnosed, and still deeply resent the whole thing - it can take a while to move into the acceptance phase of the condition and all this extra baggage just fades into the background. Like cleaning your teeth. Apologies for the waffling, distinct lack of caffeine this morning!

Reactions: karen8967

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

Foot on the floor can do one. In the last couple of weeks I’ve been shooting up about an hour after I wake up, but not at the same time, and not reliably - so I can’t adjust my basal settings to deal with it. So I’m having to be reactive rather than proactive :banghead: I suppose not having a standard wake-up time doesn’t help, and I refuse to get up at 0530 every morning for the sake of consistency! I’m wary of hammering it too hard with insulin in case I (literally) crash on my way to work. As a result I’m spending half the morning higher than I want to be - all a bit frustrating, really.

@SueJB - it does become a habit after a while to make sure you have all you need, and spontaneity comes back. We’ve got a couple of extra things to remember to carry, yes, but so do parents of young kids, people with all sorts of health issues etc etc etc. It’s a rare person who can literally just drop everything and walk out the door! And even they need to remember keys, wallet and phone. The old “spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch” adage in my case just became “spectacles, dextrose, pod controller, test kit and (fully charged) watch” - plus a spare pod that always lives in my handbag so I know it’s always there. I know you’re relatively recently diagnosed, and still deeply resent the whole thing - it can take a while to move into the acceptance phase of the condition and all this extra baggage just fades into the background. Like cleaning your teeth. Apologies for the waffling, distinct lack of caffeine this morning!
I must say , @Mel dCP, I never did teach my daughters the old adage but these days I guess there could be a 'politically correct' version !! The list would be a bit different too. Modesty prevents me expanding on that until caffeine deprivation avails me.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

@Mel dCP thanks for the sensible waffle. I must sound like a petulant kid. I'm still in denial and think I've been misdiagnosed and the unnecessary insulin is causing my weight gain. Do appreciate yoour reply though.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
The 'it's been one of those days' sounds like the van Morrison song, "There'll be days like this", the melody smooths away worry.
In the good old days before glucose meters when I was mad enough to indulge in white water canoeing it was a matter of reduced insulin doses each morning and evening and eating regularly, allowing more food for the days when the map of the river suggested portaging or tricky rapids.
The difference between diabetes and not was seeing someone on one memorable trip whose asthma had flared up. In comparison my diabetes was like a mozzie bite !!
I've got asthma too:banghead: