Type 1'stars R Us

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Sorry to hear that @SueJB! I hope it is easy to control and the triggers of it as well.

K

Knikki

Are the speakers for a HiFi and the sound base for the TV? I want to change my surround sound and upgrade to a proper amp with HD audio format support and some better quality speakers but the TV stand I bought last year is not going to be wide enough to support the amp and allow free air flow so I'm finding it difficult to 'trash' a brand new stand for new speakers - the ones I've got are a hand-me-down set with an old DVD player bought a decade ago.

I had a Denon Amp from 2014 with a set of Mission Speakers FS2 (because they were flat, space issues) it has multiple connectors in but BUT lacks HDMI ones.

However because we do not use the DVD player anywhere near what I thought we would do the amp has sadly become a little redundant and has only recently been used in anger since I got a turntable rigged up to it

So now I have changed everything, I have a soundbase for the TV plus it will pick up the 5.1 when watching Netflix and I have optical connections for the blue ray player. (I have a soundbase upstairs with my Consoles plugged in and while it can't compete with a full 5.1, 6.1, or 10.1 surround system it does move the sound around enough to give me more UUMMPH when playing games or watching YouTube, Netflix etc)

I now have a Rotel amp with turntable and CD of which I got a pair of Dali Spektor 1 speakers for and it sounds fantastic much better than the Denon did.

Well if you want to save some space look up the Mission FS2 speakers (no longer made) as I know of 6 including a sub going for not much money :hilarious::hilarious:

@SueJB Like Scott said once you get used to this T1D malarkey there is nothing to stop you doing anything and you can almost be as spontaneous as anyone else, yep you have to take a couple more things but all can be secreted around you in various pockets etc. Saying that you have a handbag which should take everything because every one knows that they contravene all known laws and rules on physics and the multiverse and can accommodate all things from a small makeup compact to a full blown walk in wardrobe :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've got asthma too:banghead:
Yeah, me too - but only if I eat the foods I’m allergic to. Unfortunately they’re meat and dairy! :arghh: And as for weight gain, the better my BG levels, the more I pile on. I’m quite miserable about that.

And no, you don’t sound like a petulant kid - just someone who’s still railing at a major life change. We’re all at different points on this road, I’ve only just accepted it all myself. ❤️

Reactions: therower
K

Knikki

So I am currently doing a bit of an account audit in my running gear as I wait for my lowish carb brekkie (cheese, smoked salmon and yoghurt) to go down as the Libre is booted up.

One thing I love about going abroad, well mainly the only thing is "the hotel breakfast" I love them, so much food and choice if I have not worked my way through 97% of the stuff on display its been 'a bit of a poor show old chap' :pompous::hilarious:

What the weather like out there at the moment? warmer than home?

Reactions: porl69 and hh1

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, haven't been around for a few days, I'm not sure why. Nothing much going on blood sugar wise, going to the hospital tomorrow morning, that should be interesting. I just intend to gush about how wonderful libre is, and leave them trying to get rid of me as soon as possible.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, me too - but only if I eat the foods I’m allergic to. Unfortunately they’re meat and dairy! :arghh: And as for weight gain, the better my BG levels, the more I pile on. I’m quite miserable about that.

And no, you don’t sound like a petulant kid - just someone who’s still railing at a major life change. We’re all at different points on this road, I’ve only just accepted it all myself. ❤️

Mel, I know you've fairly recently had a abit of Levothyroxine added to your medicinal arsenal, and feel the better for it, but are your deeper levels in a good place? Does the Doc you see about this just test your TSH, or do the go to the lower level of TSH, FT4, FT3 (and I'd like to think as you have of the AI conditions your thyroid antibodies will have been checked at least once).

My experience with sorting out my wonky throid is there was far, far less detailed knowledge on thyroid issues than for diabetes.

That our TSH might be "in range" doesn't mean our thyroid hormones are working for us. TSH is just what the label says, a thyroid stimulating hormone. It tells us how hard the pituitary is working to encourage our thyroids to work. It doesn't necessarily reflect how well the thyroid is doing. It certainly means zip for my thyroid.

Reactions: becca59

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Off to the podiatrist tomorrow. Routine check.
I really admire the dedication they possess. Looking at feet all day, dealing with nails, corns, calluses and IGTN (ingrown toe nails). I think we take them for granted too much.
Here is to all podiatrists, may their instruments be sharp, their cuts and shaves precise and their noses ever protected from the odours of feet !!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(Late) morning all, having just had a fairly rubbish two weeks on all fronts, including bg too high (largely due to various stressy thins going on) have just had a very successful 24 hours and a flat line at just above 5 overnight that was a joy to behold. Had a friend who lives 80 miles to the east of me come to stay over yesterday as I was the friend in Somerset who lived near enough to a folk gig for her to stay with overnight and go with her if I wanted. Not my kind of thing but this band looked a bit different and as this is my year of saying yes to things, I went. Really pleased I did, brilliant gig, great evening, bg behaved all the time. Let's hope the last few days of January carry on being so much better.

Reactions: Alison54321

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I had a Denon Amp from 2014 with a set of Mission Speakers FS2 (because they were flat, space issues) it has multiple connectors in but BUT lacks HDMI ones.

However because we do not use the DVD player anywhere near what I thought we would do the amp has sadly become a little redundant and has only recently been used in anger since I got a turntable rigged up to it

So now I have changed everything, I have a soundbase for the TV plus it will pick up the 5.1 when watching Netflix and I have optical connections for the blue ray player. (I have a soundbase upstairs with my Consoles plugged in and while it can't compete with a full 5.1, 6.1, or 10.1 surround system it does move the sound around enough to give me more UUMMPH when playing games or watching YouTube, Netflix etc)

I now have a Rotel amp with turntable and CD of which I got a pair of Dali Spektor 1 speakers for and it sounds fantastic much better than the Denon did.

Well if you want to save some space look up the Mission FS2 speakers (no longer made) as I know of 6 including a sub going for not much money :hilarious::hilarious:

@SueJB Like Scott said once you get used to this T1D malarkey there is nothing to stop you doing anything and you can almost be as spontaneous as anyone else, yep you have to take a couple more things but all can be secreted around you in various pockets etc. Saying that you have a handbag which should take everything because every one knows that they contravene all known laws and rules on physics and the multiverse and can accommodate all things from a small makeup compact to a full blown walk in wardrobe :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Speaker memories. I still have a pair of JL620W Kenwoods. Havent been used in a few years, not had anything powerful enough to make them "kick" lol

@kitedoc no names for my pump as yet BUT Mike keeps on coming up....as in Mike and the Medtronics (Mechanics!!)

Reactions: Knikki and therower

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Speaker memories. I still have a pair of JL620W Kenwoods. Havent been used in a few years, not had anything powerful enough to make them "kick" lol

@kitedoc no names for my pump as yet BUT Mike keeps on coming up....as in Mike and the Medtronics (Mechanics!!)
Ha! @porl69, Just looking up their songs: you might wish to avoid the following" Hanging By a Thread, All I Need is a Miracle, Silent Running (On Dangerous Ground), perhaps balanced by: Everyone Gets a Second Chance; Nobody's Perfect (when a visit to Dr or DSN doesn't go well), Another Cup of Coffee, and The Best Is Yet To Come !!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ha! @porl69, Just looking up their songs: you might wish to avoid the following" Hanging By a Thread, All I Need is a Miracle, Silent Running (On Dangerous Ground), perhaps balanced by: Everyone Gets a Second Chance; Nobody's Perfect (when a visit to Dr or DSN doesn't go well), Another Cup of Coffee, and The Best Is Yet To Come !!
I liked Mike Rutherford when he was in Genesis as well. Will agree there is a few song titles I need to avoid lol

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I liked Mike Rutherford when he was in Genesis as well. Will agree there is a few song titles I need to avoid lol

@porl69 Well. I know what i like in your wardrobe, and i did , Spot the Pigeon in there. You do Keep it Dark in there. Thinking it was late i thought, Suppers Ready, Thats All.

I'll get my coat:):)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@porl69 Well. I know what i like in your wardrobe, and i did , Spot the Pigeon in there. You do Keep it Dark in there. Thinking it was late i thought, Suppers Ready, Thats All.

I'll get my coat:):)
Any hints on proposed nicknames for your pump @smc4761 ??

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I really admire the dedication they possess. Looking at feet all day, dealing with nails, corns, calluses and IGTN (ingrown toe nails). I think we take them for granted too much.
Here is to all podiatrists, may their instruments be sharp, their cuts and shaves precise and their noses ever protected from the odours of feet !!
And they make good recommendations on shoe ware including slippers !!

Reactions: porl69

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mel, I know you've fairly recently had a abit of Levothyroxine added to your medicinal arsenal, and feel the better for it, but are your deeper levels in a good place? Does the Doc you see about this just test your TSH, or do the go to the lower level of TSH, FT4, FT3 (and I'd like to think as you have of the AI conditions your thyroid antibodies will have been checked at least once).

My experience with sorting out my wonky throid is there was far, far less detailed knowledge on thyroid issues than for diabetes.

That our TSH might be "in range" doesn't mean our thyroid hormones are working for us. TSH is just what the label says, a thyroid stimulating hormone. It tells us how hard the pituitary is working to encourage our thyroids to work. It doesn't necessarily reflect how well the thyroid is doing. It certainly means zip for my thyroid.
Hi, yes, TSH and FT4 were checked and all on the very bottom end of the range. FT3 wasn’t checked, as far as I know.
Seeing mine tomorrow about my “funny” big toenail. It’s still “funny”. Then down to the ambulance station to get a load of inoculations/vaccinations/jabs so I’m up to their required level of immunity. Think I’d rather go to work...

Reactions: hh1 and porl69

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP inoculations/vaccinations against School kids more like?!?!? (I'm assuming this is for your first responder job though)

Reactions: porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB why do you feel that insulin is causing weight gain? Yes, I put on weight after diagnosis. But that was because I had lost shed loads. Once I had settled down and got muscle tone back (5 years ago and aged 54 this month) I hit a weight that I have maintained within a couple of pounds. It is still a stone less than I have been most of my adult life. If I put on a couple of pounds I ensure I am injecting half basal in a day than what I normally would for a week, which means I am halving my carbs, and that gets me back on track.
As regards spontaneity, I always have my full kit bag which I move from kitchen during the day, to by the side of my bed at night. Yes I need to know what my sugars are, particularly when driving, but I just throw that kit bag into my rucksack (gave up with a handbag, not big enough for a diabetic) and off I go. Don’t have to think about it. Everything I would need is in that kit bag (it’s a small insulated lunch bag) I make sure if I drink the small coke or eat a couple of Jelly Babies, as you do, things are topped up. It contains both insulins, blood glucose tester, spare needles, hypo treatments, hand cleanser and Libre. It is more of a pain when going on a holiday as there has to be many extras. But that is just part and parcel of packing.
Yes Diabetes is a pain. I have made the decision not to eat snacks, or anything that requires shed loads of insulin. I know others would just eat it. We are all different. But on Friday last. I got the call from my father that I was needed following my mothers knee replacement. They live an hour and half away. Within 45 mins I was packed and on the road. My levels whilst there dealing with aged parents we won’t talk about. Back home and a gin and tonic and a glass of red in hand things are improving!! Keep fighting Sue. Diabetes is an imposition but don’t let it define you.

Reactions: porl69 and kitedoc