1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don't know if you''ve seen this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/double-diabetes.html. Not sure whether it answers the question about whether someone can have both T1 and T2 though from the definitions it looks like it to me.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My Take from reading:
    I think type 1 diabetes is about an auto-immune cause. LADA has more indolent anti-body cause, so the initial diagnosis of presumed Type 2 changes as the condition progresses and (hopefully) the antibodies are discovered and diagnosis and management adjusted accordingly.
    Type 2, MODY are about genetics and effect on peripheral and central aspects of diabetes.
    Type 3 is about pancreatic insufficiency due to removal or partial or whole damage to the islet ,and some or all alpha cells.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Could my life get any worse at the minute someone has tried to break into my house they have drilled the locks on my patio doors but as they have come through my alarm as gone off police reckon they have been after tommys car keys im having no luck whatsoever lately bgs have gone through the roof what else could possibly go wrong

• Hug Hug x 15
    • Like Like x 1
  4. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@karen8967 ☹️ Glad your alarm went off. But what a terrible shock! No wonder levels are up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. hh1

@karen8967 don't you just hate people who say 'at least they didn't get in' without accounting for the fact that you've still got to fix your patio doors and it comes on top of a load of other stuff. But: at least they didn't get in and Tommy's still got his car :D Just trying to cheer you up :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@karen8967 HUGS!! cant say much more than that.

Things here are trundling along as per, was just watching the old BSL start to go trough the roof, but no, levels out mid 4's, so OK :)

@Mel dCP were you talking about @porl69 changing his pump setting for shift work or when he is on shark week? :rolleyes:;):hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Oh Karen what a horrible thing to happen, thank goodness you had an alarm and it went off. Some people are such s*^*!.
    Take good care and I'm sure all of us are thinking of you x
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@karen8967 that sounds horrible,
    I hope you are feeling ok - it can be very scary having intruders so take it easy and expect your BG to rise (as if you need anything else).

Yesterday was a spin and climb day which went ok BG wise apart from forgetting to test 15 minutes before I was due to set out for climbing. Of course, my BG was in the 4s when I did test so I was a tad late on the wall but made up for it with a few tough climbs (which certainly raised my BG).

15 days ago, I was in Barcelona and started my Libre ready for the conference. Surprisingly, the Libre is still gong strong. Usually Glimp manages an extra 12 hours but now I am in to 26th extra hour. I was going to remove it in the shower this morning but decided to eek it out a little longer as that is what is seems to want to do.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Happy Tuesday guys. Woke up on a 11.7, hmmmm:rolleyes: but onwards and upwards. Take care everyone and a BIG HUG to all who would like one or needs one x

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Blimey Karen! wheres that over zealous inexperienced copper when you need him.........!

Libre has been just about on target, was +/- 1mmol max yesterday and this morning bloods were 8.2 and scan was 8.3 so thats good, and so far no itchiness and infact I've forgotten I'm wearing it at times.

• Like Like x 7
  11. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@karen8967 glad you have an alarm, sending big (((HUGS)))

@Knikki I did actually spit my tea out when I read your "shark week" comment :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Bloods didn't go low last night, a little of the opposite...11 and alarmed for ages so a little adjustment of the basal and I think I may have it sussed

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. helensaramay

Hahahahahaha One week on the pump and the boy thinks he has it all sussed.
    I love your optimism but wait until you get a cold (man flu), decide to go to the gym, have a very annoying customer, have a few drinks, eat a pizza, ... or your body just decides to behave differently

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear that @karen8967 What a shock as well as a pain, I remember we got burgled when I was about 15, they came in through the patio doors, they took all my mum's jewellery which was passed down and my CD collection, mum went a little mad afterwards she would go outdoors and questioned anyone who walked past our house, the stuff was never recovered and the insurance didn't touch the value of what was taken, the feeling that someone was in our house was the thing that got me most, made me feel quite insecure at home afterwards, now I hide anything valuable, can make you feel quite paranoid, so hope your ok x

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@smc4761 and @helensaramay and @hh1

Just out of interest on the Forxiga tablets the main aim is along the following:

it has recently been approved by the EU as a treatment (in addition to insulin) for type 1s with BMI ≥ 27 kg/m2, when insulin alone does not provide adequate glycaemic control despite optimal insulin therapy

So guess its used who are overweight and maybe insulin resistant. Maybe, I'm no expert in these things and its been a while since I did any science.

• Like Like x 2
  15. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Its easy :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. hh1

and @smc4761 and @helensaramay this link explains that Forxiga doesn't appear to be designed to increase insulin sensitivity but to make the body purge excess glucose through the kidneys: https://www.medbroadcast.com/drug/getdrug/forxiga It may well be used for those who are overweight, I don't know anything about that aspect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. helensaramay

Thanks @Knikki @kitedoc and @hh1 on your comments about insulin resistance and "double diabetes".
    This seems to encourage my (purely academic) thoughts that you can have type 1 and type 2 diabetes and the Forxiga is to treat the type 2 condition in people who also have type 1.
    But this is never said which is why I am questioning my (purely academic) thoughts.
    Is it not said because it "would be confusing"? If so, I guess that's another reason to rename one of the types - no one is worried about saying you can have type 1 diabetes and arthritis, for example.
    No real need to respond, I am just thinking through my keyboard (the written equivalent to thinking aloud).

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Astra Zeneca state that its product Forxiga information is indicated for Type 2 diabetes and is contra-indicated for use in Type 1 diabetes as DKA is a known side-effect of Forxiga.
    The other risk could be if someone diagnosed as Type 2 is actually LADA and is prescribed Forxiga. They might be unaware of being risk of DKA. As a person with undiagnosed LADA approaches a state of absolute insulin deficiency they face similar issues with Forxiga as someone with Type 1 diabetes.
    Maybe people might mix up type 2 and LADA and think that person has two diabetes conditions instead of one??

• Like Like x 2
  19. helensaramay

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Lovely Karen

Ruddy awful for you sweetie
    You have had the most stinking rotten time lately words from me and I can’t contain my anger towards the scum who attempted the break in. I hope the police catch them and punish them severely.

Too soft on crime in this country way too soft in fact

Take it steady Karen were all here if you need us xx

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook