1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

thanks everyone forensics have just been took all kinds of finger prints including our own for elimination purposes sons gone to get new locks and dead bolts for me its the shock more than anything and the knot in your stomach xx bgs still rising cant stomach food at the minute should i do a correction dose as never been stressed like this with bgs going so high up to 13.6 form 5.8 when i went to bed x

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @karen8967 Yes you need to do a correction for this, test every hour, have a cup of tea or go out for a walk and take some deep breaths, it will get sorted, hopefully the stress will lessen too, take care x

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @karen8967 yeah definitely do a correction dose and as @Juicyj has said very regular testing. Try and do something to take your mind of it a bit (that's easier said than done) x

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you @helensaramay, I have not seen that. On what we know now and what was reported in the trials I would personally not be touching it. And what does 'inadequately controlled' mean ? That is a pretty vague term, am I inadequately controlled because I cannot stop eating Nutella,? or because my dietitian will not prescribe a low carb diet because her registering authority will de-register her if she does? , or is my doctor not up to date on what is the best insulin regime for me or is it that my HBA1C is not so crash hot and nobody cares so add another drug???
    Cynically it sounds like somebody trying to increase sales but not without some risk. Big Pharma tries to rule again. But I hope the NHS is more sensible than its European counterparts !!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

if i could maybe throw in my tuppence worth on the Forxiga tablets. My wife was diagnosed with type 2 about 10 years ago and was prescibed tablets only. She was given Metformin and ad changed to another tablet as this was having other issues with her body. She has always been a little overweight, aged about 50 when diagnosed, 5ft 7 and 14 stone or thereabouts which she had been for about 30 years.

Since moving to Forxiga about 3 years ago, she has lost almost 3 stone in weight and her Hba1C has improved by about 30%. One of the possible side effects of tablet was increased/excessive urination, but she has never suffered this.

It would seem that Forxiga may be able to help those who are overweight and used in conjunction with insulin may help improve HBa1C

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@karen8967 . What an absolute sh*t thing to have happen. Patio doors seem to be a “go to “for the scum brigade.
    Hope you regain a sense of being secure again before to long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@karen8967 that’s beyond scummy, hope you’re ok. Sending hugs!

• Like Like x 5
  8. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Karen, when you get to the bottom of the week’s pit start scrabbling up again - it’s been beyond horrible for you! If the old wives’ tales are anything to go by then you’ve had your 3 bad things in a row now so the only way is up. I can imagine how totally awful your house being broken into was; every time him indoors is away I wake at the slightest sound, but the real thing is dreadful. Not at all surprised your blood sugars rose, just surprised they didn’t go any higher.
    Do you have a dog? Do you like dogs? I used to have the dog in the bedroom with me when we had one and him indoors was away. This was in a different country: the dog had a really terrifying bark, snarl and growl, despite really being a frightened softie, and ours was the only house in the row that wasn’t burgled.
    Hug, hug, hug.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You have a fair point there @kitedoc but I do not think the article referenced tells the whole story and if you add in what I found:

Just out of interest on the Forxiga tablets the main aim is along the following:

it has recently been approved by the EU as a treatment (in addition to insulin) for type 1s with BMI ≥ 27 kg/m2, when insulin alone does not provide adequate glycemic control despite optimal insulin therapy

Plus what @smc4761 said as well it sort of makes sense for some but I do not think it will be rolled out for all T1D's

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Really sorry to hear that, Karen, a nasty shock for you. Just glad they did get scared off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My basal tends to change my BG with an hour's lag.

In other news, I can't believe no-one's mentioned the great King Tubby in reference to dub. But the Propellerheads' drummer was one of the most impressive I've ever witnessed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. karen8967

Goodnight everyone sleep well bgs back to normal now

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Try and get a goodnight's sleep if you can Karen, take care, nighty night zzzzzz

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Robinredbreast

Goodnight guys, I hope you sleep well and awake with great BG's, zzzzzzz

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. karen8967

Good morning everyone have a good day

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Robinredbreast

Good morning Wednesday guys :) Awoke on a 6.4 this morning so a top banana to that :) and a great start because, I am going back to a job I did last summer and I have another one in the pipeline, so hoping to combine them both at some point. Buses have all changed :wideyed: to the location and they don't stop at the big supermarket anymore, so as I don't know the area well for walking, I have had to book a taxi.
    Promoting Lindt chocolate, front of store, so a big event today.
    Wishing you all a safe and a happy day :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning.

@Colin of Kent King Tubby? yes have come across him while falling down the YouTube rabbit hole and yep great tunes.:headphone:

@Robinredbreast Good luck with the job, and send some Lindt Chocs over here I love em :joyful:

@karen8967 Glad everything is back to some sort of normalness (no idea if that is a word but works for me) :)

Oh blood things :rolleyes: you want to know about that...….:cool: woke up low 4's now sat here mid 4's and not had coffee yet :cat:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, off to Bournemouth to work for 2 days. Think my honeymoon is coming to an end. Waking for the last week 7 to 9

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, woke to a 4.6 yay! Let's hope it stay somewhere near there today instead of the duff couple of days so far this week. Here's to a good day for everyone, especially @karen8967, it's about time you had one!

• Like Like x 4
  20. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Good morning friends

6.9 I’m ok with that

Hospital appointment this morning

Have a jolly spiffing day

Special hug to Karen

Free hugs and man hugs to those who’d like one

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook