1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Evening for a wet blowy somewhere up North where it is NOT grim :)

Good to see you back and around @Fairygodmother compete with Hamish :)

@helensaramay Finland looks fun, is that the place they do pickled, smoked or dead herring as a delicacy?

So new sensor............been on for 8 hours warm up.....maybe should have do the 24 hours but hey, got to try these things out and last two I warmed up for 8 hours were OK.

So first reading on the Etch A Sketch reader..........2.7 :meh: Really? I don't think so check on Bloods 7.5 :writer:

This might be an "interesting" sensor :hilarious: Which when it is, shall we say, a little out, makes me wonder why the DVLA said yes to allowing CGM's? even with a thread about it and one chap saying he always makes sure that he is 7 or above on Libre, so on this case he would be 10? not where I want to be.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Knikki always do a 24 hr warm up these days, but still find I cannot rely on the sensor on the first day, so always blood test as well. After that am lucky enough to find it 98% accurate. Those 2% allow for variations when very low/high.
    It is not too grim here either, also up north. Luckily not In home town GRIMsby!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fairygodmother

Him indoors has just suggest my new knee be called Peggy. What do you think? It should really be female, I suppose, and I like the humour.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight everyone sleep well

6. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Knikki I just sent my last sensor back; first one I've had for ages that was too far out of whack to rely on . At least Abbott are okay about replacing duff ones. Agree about DVLA, unless they rely on users to check with a bg monitor if we can see a sensor's not reliable - yes, I am joking

@Fairygodmother I'd stick with Hamish, there's something oddly appealing about having a knee that's a different gender ;) Glad you're home and hope all's going well

• Like Like x 2
  7. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone have a good day FB_IMG_1508431223640.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Fairygodmother

I think I will. Hamish will be ready to have fun, Peggy will enjoy gossip and a good cupcake, but it seems the forum’s already adopted Hamish.
    He’s progressing quite well, but he’s semi-addicted to paracetamol at the mo. He’s doing ok with multiple trips up and down stairs, despite being advised to climb stairs once a day for the first week, but then he’s not got much choice as we only have an upstairs loo and Bertie Bladder makes the decisions for him there. Bertie Bladder? Belinda Bladder?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Fairygodmother

Good morning everyone, wherever you are today.
    Is it snowy in your place Cumbs? Has anyone been blown about? It was pretty dramatic here in the relatively sheltered SE, lovely gothic sounds in the chimneys, but I don’t think we ever had the full power of the wind.
    And I need to move away from personalised body parts. Sorry. Time to celebrate the wonder of titanium moulded and fitted to reduce pain and increase mobility, and the great team that made it happen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Morning FG, it's quite cold here but none of the white stuff. Hope you are recovering well x

11. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Happy Monday guys, I had a really good time last night, the meal at Nandos was good, but the nuts were a little too spicy for me, we had a great time, such fun and prezzies for me too <3
    Off out to meet my son soon as a year has gone by and I want to get a headstone for my parents grave, I have £1.500, so hoping that will be enough, possibly a Scottish Thistle ?
    Have good day, it's bright and sunny here, so going out for a walk soon

• Like Like x 3
  12. Fairygodmother

I am, thank you Robin, and it’s wonderful to be home! And Hamish is still Hamish.
    I hope your new role suits you and you have a great day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It sometimes feels like I do!..............sorry I wasn't on the forum this weekend else we could have arrange a meet up :cool:.

I spent most if not all weekend doing DIY to the en-suit, BG mostly in range.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, good walk in the sun after yesterday's fun and games in howling winds here in the south-west. Messed up and walked too far too soon after insulin, hypo at the end, not the way I'd have chosen to finish it....

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good afternoon wherever you may be
    Bloods behaving quite nicely again :)
    @Knikki that is my concern with the DVLA and CGMs. They are not accurate enough!
    @Fairygodmother hiow is Hamish behaving??
    Really windy here in South Wales last night. Grandaughters slides etc are all over the garden along with the bins, all of them!

• Like Like x 2
  16. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

that first pic Helen even made me feel cold whilst sitting indoors!

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Fairygodmother

Wow, Helsinki looks wonderful Helen. Fantastic pics. I must take Hamish there one day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fairygodmother

At least they’re still in the garden have you spotted any freedom-seeking trampolines yet?
    Hamish is still being decent, nothing stronger than paracetamol and movement range gradually increasing. I did notice, this morning, that I have more capillary burst behind him and in a line running up to the groin so I turned into worried old woman and sought a gp phone consultation. Still keeping an eye on it and think I might forego tomorrow’s self-injected blood thinner. Decisions decisions. I expect diving helped weaken my capillaries but the experiences under the water were worth it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. James_Donnelly

James_Donnelly · Well-Known Member

Man, carb counting is weird sometimes isn't it. I just had a protein cookie and a glass of milk. I have this most days so know what insulin I need for it, and that is ONE unit. One. 25G of carbs for the milk and cookie. 5.2 before I ate it, 5.7 an hour later. So weird because if I was to have something else to eat at the same time, say a sandwich, I wouldn't be operating at 25:1 ratio, more like 12:1.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook