1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just wanted to nip on and say I know the pain - I spent a couple of days this week in an extremely 'noisy' area for Bluetooth with my Blucon. Somehow although it wasn't quite able to stick to readings every 5 minutes it was able to find it sporadically among the (literally) hundreds of other devices in the vicinity and only needed a rather awkward pin reset a few times. :rolleyes:

I've never had to totally forget it (and the MM may work in a different way) in the device settings and usually a Bluetooth Scan within xDrip after a pin reset is enough to get it going again (although I find having device bonding disabled works best on my device).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I also take a childish delight in responding to questions in general sub forums politely (I hope) reminding the readers this is a Diabetes forum not a lchf type 2 forum.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lol, Helen, but we should never lose sight of the fact that many of the commentators have huge experience of being T1 or T2 for, erm, about a year or so.

After doing my way of being T1 for three decades, I'm always totally convinced by keto fans telling me I should never eat a panini ever again..

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I noticed this and agree. It is so important for newly diagnosed type 1s to understand that we have choices. As I am always saying, if it was just about food this disease would be easy to crack. There are so many other variables that affect levels.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I went and had a look over there. I shall retreat back to this t1d subforum, which is at least mostly sensible.

Post edited by moderator for breach of forum rules A1 and A2

• Like Like x 5
    #13085 evilclive, Mar 16, 2019 at 2:04 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2019 at 6:48 PM
  6. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning everyone,
    I've only had T1 for 1 yr 7months and wouldn't dream of commenting on anyone's food. My approach to eating is more flexible now than at the start because I misguidedly thought anything carb was going to kill me.... now I know too much of it just gives me a pain

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone have a good weekend

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Morning all! A most splendid mini lie-in (to all of 6.45 a.m.) and after the disruption of the last two days, bloods all good again.

I had a good reminder of how dreadful I really felt in the months of running high teens/early twenties pre-LADA diagnosis after completely mis-guessing how much insulin to take for the breaded colcannon veggie burgers on offer at lunch yesterday when I saw the highest number my meter has ever seen since those days. Still, a two hours walk home, bit more insulin, and I'm happy. They were jolly nice burgers too, but maybe twice the insulin next time, especially if I'm going to have the fruit scone, jam and cream-substitute afterward! Not sure who enjoyed their scones more, me or the students. We did all have to go and wash faces and hands when we'd finished before returning to the last of the afternoon work.

Which may or may not have included a riotous cushion fight....

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn Hmmmm could do with a 'yawn' icon.

Anyway,

Morning, according to Etch A Sketch manage to nudge just over 11 last night, guess that was the rice and fish cakes but now down to the 7.0 mark so not bad.

I need to go to the gym BUT my CBA gene is working overtime, plus it's wet, windy and looks cold it there.

Yeah I know "first world problem" :hilarious:

On a side note my relationship with tech and software has not improved one iota over the last week :banghead::rolleyes::wtf::hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Top banana reply @therower lol :D

12. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, a lie in until almost 8am! Bladder alarm clock woke me up...

Popped a new sensor on last night, the Libre app is reading Lo this morning. MiaoMiao is still on the old one doing the extra 12 hours, I’ll swap it over shortly and see how the new one behaves. I didn’t put the new one on early enough to soak for the usual 24 hours, as I’d forgotten I now replace them on Fridays rather than Saturday after one failed. Woke to a steady 4.6.

Quiet day today, got to engrave and solder a copper bangle in the shed but that’s it. Hope you all have a lovely one, I’m just off to see what the notifications from the veganosm thread are...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Robinredbreast

I'm the same. I have purchased a new phone, a Sony Xperia, my old phone was 2nd hand, a Samsung mini galaxy, which was fine, but I thought I would treat myself.......... could I work out how to open it and get into the back to put the sim card in, NO. So I looked online and eventually did it. But, as soon as I showed my daughter my new phone, she was looking at it and then said, "there, I've connected it to wifi now" !
    I just meekly said "thanks" and felt like a 4 year old starting school, she was the teacher and me the pupil:wideyed: :rolleyes::D

Good morning:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Robinredbreast

Have a good day Mel, I bet the copper bangle will look top banana:)

#13094 Robinredbreast, Mar 16, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 9:28 AM
  15. Robinredbreast

With a little bit of Looney tunes thrown in now and again o_O to take one's mind off........................diabetes:) :happy:

Mod edit of previously edited quoted post

#13095 Robinredbreast, Mar 16, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2019 at 8:06 PM
  16. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I tend to keep my head down because I average between 100 - 130g per day - some days more some days less. However I do ‘pipe up’ occasionally so that new posters can realise that you don’t have to be ultra low carb to control your BS. Love popcorn - sweet and salty particularly. Used to love dates but have not had any since being diagnosed because I know I’ll probably eat too many however I may pluck up courage one day and test a couple.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #13096 Daphne917, Mar 16, 2019 at 8:18 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2019 at 6:51 PM
  17. Robinredbreast

Good morning all and wishing you a Happy Saturday, despite the blustery, cold, wet and dark weather outside :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

There are also T2s on insulin for whom, like T1s, ultra low carb is either inadvisable or unnecessary. We all know that, as individuals, food affects us differently - I had, and tested, a jacket potato the other day and surprisingly my BS only rose by only 2.00 points after 2 hours but was down to only 1.5 increase after 3 hours so I may have it again however scampi is still my nemesis so I don’t eat it anymore - rather have a nice piece of fish anyway!!

19. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I have always advocated that any technology purchased should come with a small child attached......:).....good morning......:)....hope everyone has a good day.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think that the main problem is that many low carbers just don't understand that "your diabetes may vary", particularly so between T1 and T2, the biology is different. I've found that a baked potato actually stabilises and levels out my bg for several hours, but low carbers deride it cos it's carbs, end of.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming emphasis on low carbs has definitely misled newly dx'd T1s into needlessly cutting out enjoyable foods which are totally manageable with a basic understanding of ratios and pre-bolus timing.

Laura Marston, who advocates for cheaper insulin in America, got some attention on a few recent threads after her BBC article, so it's an opportune time to re-visit her and others telling Tim Noakes where to go:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProfTimNoakes/status/1030755651356635138

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ehaviour-affect-the-low-carb-movement.155442/

Screenshot_2019-03-16-08-52-04.png

Screenshot_2019-03-15-12-52-33.png

Post edited by moderator for breach of forum rule A3

• Like Like x 2
    #13100 Scott-C, Mar 16, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2019 at 6:54 PM
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook